Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

irlmarc wrote: »
    Just curious is anyone does know if there is a firmware release date for UK handsets?

Well V11 is out, but not available without changing product code just yet for uk models

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

irlmarc wrote: »
    Just curious is anyone does know if there is a firmware release date for UK handsets?
    it could be tomorrow, or it could be 2 months from now, you never know.

BUT, they did roll it out to the North American N97's too right away, so it hopefully shouldn't be too long before it's out.

personally though i couldn't wait and after seeing the improvements in the new FW i'm glad I didn't. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

DermoMIO wrote: »
    o2 will be selling it from next week for 300 euro my sisters partner who works in o2 told me last night he didnt say what pricing it will be for the 300 but just a heads up

get in there. next week ay heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Also noticed huge increase in battery life since fw upgrade.
    Since this morning i have used abt 1 hours of music, 2.20 hours of browsing, 1.20 hours of calls, few texts and and playing around.
    Only 2 bar down so far normally i would have to charge it by now. :)

in related news....:)

was just googling for something on the phone to see if it was out there (something reminded me whilst watching telly) and found a torrent of it. clicked the torrent link with the intention of maybe copying it over to my PC and it opened up in symtorrent (which I'd forgotten I'd already installed) and is currently downloading at a very respectable rate of </> 90kB/s (considering the time of evening and it was a public tracker) and 65% complete, connected to 18 peers. :D

every day I love it a little bit more. :D

• Advertisement

also, was just reading a nice objective (for a change) review of the n97 HERE that's worth a look if you're still thinking of taking the plunge.

interestingly enough, it scores very well in the audio tests.

maybe not the ultimate best ever, but certainly very respectable all the same and for once actually measured properly rather than people just having a listen and guessing at how good it sounds compared to x or y other phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jambooirl

And here I go, My White Nokia N97 is taking the long trip all the way from the UAE to Ireland to rest in My Hands.lol. i cant wait.

The whole scenario happened in just 2 days, lol, after a friend was coming over to Ireland from UAE and he asked if i needed any thing from there, I SURLY DID, NOKIA N97....WHITE COLOR PLEASE. lol.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

anyone else getting the problem where you have to click twice on a link to get it too load. It happens to me quiet alot when surfing the net.

A little anoying at times, not a big deal though.

P.s left this message with my n97 and it works great for boards.

seems like some buttons and links need a double tap and others don't. didn't quite manage to figure out which was which though, seems a bit weird to me, but if one tap doesn't do it i just do another one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

jambooirl wrote: »
    And here I go, My White Nokia N97 is taking the long trip all the way from the UAE to Ireland to rest in My Hands.lol. i cant wait.

The whole scenario happened in just 2 days, lol, after a friend was coming over to Ireland from UAE and he asked if i needed any thing from there, I SURLY DID, NOKIA N97....WHITE COLOR PLEASE. lol.:D
    How much is it costing you?! Take it that it isn't a European model,so you won't have a warrenty or is it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im finding texting abit of a pain still and not fully used to it with the t/s.I find some buttons needing a double click to get a letter up and even after saving words into the dictionary it can still be iffy,im still on the v10 firmware though.

Also nice shortcut if anyone didnt know is to tip the top right corner at the battery icon and you get the connectivity menu pop up

eireal wrote: »
    Im finding texting abit of a pain still and not fully used to it with the t/s.I find some buttons needing a double click to get a letter up and even after saving words into the dictionary it can still be iffy,im still on the v10 firmware though.

I find a screen calibration can help.

Phone > settings > Phone > Touch Input > touch screen calibration

Also nice shortcut if anyone didnt know is to tip the top right corner at the battery icon and you get the connectivity menu pop up

This is handy, works for a few things, like when you get new messages, or checking alarms etc

yeah, tis a handy one, although i thought the media button on the 5800 was a really nice touch and am surprised it's missing from the n97, although i guess they wanted to distance themselves a bit from the non N series phones and (superficially at least) the n97 and the 5800 do share a lot in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jambooirl

kmart6 wrote: »
    How much is it costing you?! Take it that it isn't a European model,so you won't have a warrenty or is it?!

the cost depends on the money exchange rates. so it fluctuates from eu 580 to eu590 thats for the white model with full warranty of 12 months from nokia, the warranty card is included in the box. The Black Model is around eu 20-30 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

In the long run, the black version has got be worth more...right?

if this story is to be believed about the white ones already suffering badly from fading/yellowing. :(

http://thenokiaguide.com/2009/07/07/something-to-consider-when-buying-the-white-n97/

jambooirl wrote: »
    the cost depends on the money exchange rates. so it fluctuates from eu 580 to eu590 thats for the white model with full warranty of 12 months from nokia, the warranty card is included in the box. The Black Model is around eu 20-30 less.
    You sure about the warrenty?! Nokia European warrenties are for 2 years!

vibe666 wrote: »
    if this story is to be believed about the white ones already suffering badly from fading/yellowing. :(

http://thenokiaguide.com/2009/07/07/something-to-consider-when-buying-the-white-n97/
    There may be a case for returning a device if that get's really bad,after all people have paid between 5-600 for it,it should stay it's colour for more than a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

See the picture with the Vodafone My Web shortcut. I can't figure out how to change it to something else.

Just setup KeyLock Clock on my n97 and works well. When the keypad is locked, and blank screen, menu you click the menu button the time and date appears. Basic but works. Will work on 3rd and 5th OS so 5800 users.

Download it here - its unsigned so will need to sign it @ symbiansigned

Just upload it, with your imei and email, and select all the tick boxes, and the signed app will be emailed to you in a few minutes.

• Advertisement

nazoil wrote: »
    See the picture with the Vodafone My Web shortcut. I can't figure out how to change it to something else.

Home screen > options > edit content > right selection key, then select whatever app or bookmark you want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Just after getting mine today, and I have to say that I love it! The screen works really well, and although the keyboard takes some getting used to, it's working great. I moved up from the N78, and while it isn't a monumental change, I really love the interface.

i'm sorry (but not totally surprised) to say that my el cheapo n97 case from ebay has broken the clasps on the front cover already after only a week or so, even though it hasn't been dropped yet (touch wood), meaning that the front half of the case was very loose.

i've taken it off altogether now, i think I'll just manage without. the n97 did pretty well out of the stress testing and screen scratching tests i've seen online, so fingers crossed it'll last well enough.

i still have a screen protector on it though and 5 more spares.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm sorry (but not totally surprised) to say that my el cheapo n97 case from ebay has broken the clasps on the front cover already after only a week or so, even though it hasn't been dropped yet (touch wood),

Did you buy the same one i posted? I have it on mine and its perfect, i have taken it on and off a few times myself but still is fine. Was only about €2 after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

take a look at this, its really funny the way he likes the phone despite "nokia's bollox interface" :D

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2009/06/how_good_is_the_nokia_n97_very_good_.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but 3 are supposed to be getting the n97 this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

where did you hear that ned

Mate of mine working for a 3 store who was trying to sell me one before I bought the 3gs. He sent me a message on Facebook last night wondering if I was still in the market, and around on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mate of mine working for a 3 store who was trying to sell me one before I bought the 3gs. He sent me a message on Facebook last night wondering if I was still in the market, and around on Saturday.

cool :)

any idea on price

• Advertisement

Not an iota :)

Advertisement