Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Davy wrote: »
    Did you buy the same one i posted? I have it on mine and its perfect, i have taken it on and off a few times myself but still is fine. Was only about €2 after all ;)
    yeah, got 6 screen protectors off him too, the 1st of which is still working fine so far.

i had taken the front off and re-seated it a couple of times after a wipe down as sometimes bits of fluff or grit from pocket lint were getting in between the edge of the front case and the screen and throwing off the touch interface which sometimes made it hard to press on-screen buttons a the bottom of the screen.

like you say though, it was only €2. :)

i don't know about you lot, but I think Nokia needs to give this guy a big fat cheque and put him to work in their R&D dept. right freaking now!

that's the most awesome phone I've ever seen in my life and I NEED IT NOW! :eek:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/009/03/e97_envelop_an_amazing_qwerty_phone_concept.htm

(The images click through to full size ones)

e97_01s.jpge97_02s.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Mate of mine working for a 3 store who was trying to sell me one before I bought the 3gs. He sent me a message on Facebook last night wondering if I was still in the market, and around on Saturday.
    just trying to get in touch with a friend of mine now to get see if he heard anything in his store. will update you when i can

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Christ that concept is horrible.
    I hope they never go that route

really? i love it. :)

at the very least it shows a great deal of the type of imagination that nokia seem to be missing lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

vibe666 wrote: »
    really? i love it. :)

at the very least it shows a great deal of the type of imagination that nokia seem to be missing lately.
    Nokia has great imagination

Meet Morph :)

Nokia has great imagination

Meet Morph :)
    ooh, teh fancy :)

was a little disappointed when it wasn't made of plasticine though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nice concept, but I'd say it'd be hard to see any network taking on board a dual sim model!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I have an opportunity to buy a sim-free N97 from the UK, but I was wondering what happens if it broke (under warranty or later). Is there a decent Nokia service in Ireland without dealing with a shop?

Yeah there's a good few NSC around the country...where are you based?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Has anyone else found their ring tone changing from time to time or sms' disappearing in bulk?

kmart6 wrote: »
    Yeah there's a good few NSC around the country...where are you based?!

Cork.

Has anyone else found their ring tone changing from time to time or sms' disappearing in bulk?
    yeah, i've had the ringtone thing.

i think it's related to the ringtones that are being stored on the mass storage rather than the regular internal memory and if you use the usb connection to copy to the mass memory the phone can't access it during the connection the link to the file seems to be lost occasionally, although it does seem to fix itself after a while.

it might not be that though, i'm just guessing.

my theme is on the mass mem tho and i keep losing it whenever i plug in the usb in mass storage mode so it seems likely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

vibe666 wrote: »
    yeah, i've had the ringtone thing.

i think it's related to the ringtones that are being stored on the mass storage rather than the regular internal memory and if you use the usb connection to copy to the mass memory the phone can't access it during the connection the link to the file seems to be lost occasionally, although it does seem to fix itself after a while.

it might not be that though, i'm just guessing.

my theme is on the mass mem tho and i keep losing it whenever i plug in the usb in mass storage mode so it seems likely.
    that happens on my n95 too. its to do with the memory card storing the information it tries to access

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Have to agree. I think it's terrible, an absolute mess of a design. Far, far too busy with bizarre ergonomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Cheers Vibe, I'll have a look at moving the ringtone that I'm using to the phone memory and see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Regarding sms Missing is a "Bug" which is fixed in Latest Fw as hasn't happened to me since.
    Ringtone changing happens when you have opened too many app and used up lots of ram and Phone rings then it rings with default ringtone. when there is more ram available the it goes back to the selected ringtone or quick restart might fix the problem.

Just a bit of Intersting new.

According to the latest post on the Symbian Foundation Blog, the times they are a'changin' as far as S60 is concerned...for good.

The term 'S60' that we have known, loved, and clung so dearly to is about to be taken out to the back of the barn and shot. The S60.com website has been shuttered, the content relocated and the Symbian name is officially set to take over for the Nokia-owned Operating system.
    Developers have been issued with a new Product Development Kit named Symbian ^2 (the ^ is silent...), incorporating the new Symbian OS technology for smartphones, elements of the old S60 stuff, as well as custom software for use with Sony Ericsson and Japanese NTT DoCoMo devices.

To keep things fresh, two new versions of Symbian will be released annually, with Symbian ^3 going out to devs 'in the Autumn'. This could mean some handsets showing off the shiny new Symbian by early 2010!

Even more interestingly, there are handsets available right now that are compatible with future builds of Symbian including the Nokia N97, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Samsung i8910 HD and the forthcoming Sony Ericsson Satio.

Does this mean the N97 could be a trojan horse for the new breed of Symbian, one firmware update away from becoming a real smartphone titan? Let's hope so, as S60 was definitely starting to show some grey hairs...great to see Symbian committed to keeping up in the race.

sbhatia wrote: »
    Even more interestingly, there are handsets available right now that are compatible with future builds of Symbian including the Nokia N97, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Samsung i8910 HD and the forthcoming Sony Ericsson Satio.
    now that would be sweet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Makes sense to be honest. Microsoft and Apple have been allowing their older generation mp3 players and phones be updated to the newest generation firmware for quite sometime now.

As a Nokia user, how many times have you bought the newst of the new handset only for a new version of the series 60 interface to be released 6 months later?

• Advertisement

Cork.
    Fonemenders
    11a St. Patrick's Quay
    Cork
    Tel: 021 4551554

Was going to recommend Fonemenders if you were in Dublin...but even better that they have one in Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cod75

The N97 is an alright phone, I have a HTC myself and i prefer that for business use. I work for a mobile phone company, i see quite a few phones and try them out. The HTC flawlessly connects with my exchange mail

kmart6 wrote: »
    Fonemenders
    11a St. Patrick's Quay
    Cork
    Tel: 021 4551554

Was going to recommend Fonemenders if you were in Dublin...but even better that they have one in Cork!

Thanks. Looks good. ;)

One question about the N97 -to those who have one... I saw one review that mentions it doesn't support divx or most other video codecs. Since then there has been a firmware upgrade. I assume it now shows these formats without a problem?

Thanks. Looks good. ;)

One question about the N97 -to those who have one... I saw one review that mentions it doesn't support divx or most other video codecs. Since then there has been a firmware upgrade. I assume it now shows these formats without a problem?
    Not that I'm aware of anyway!

use the little thanks button ;)

I was playing with a 5800 last night and very nice it was too, but I don't think it would quite do for me for other reasons (32GB + keyboard come to mind quickly). So why would the N97 not support these formats out of the box? When will it?? Is there a pay option, is that why -they want you to pay more for a 3rd party codec ??
    Or is there a way to install a hack that will play them or something?

I was playing with a 5800 last night and very nice it was too, but I don't think it would quite do for me for other reasons (32GB + keyboard come to mind quickly). So why would the N97 not support these formats out of the box? When will it?? Is there a pay option, is that why -they want you to pay more for a 3rd party codec ??

It doesn't support out of box but there is a option to install Mobile dvd or smart movie player both work great. Once you get the ph then apply for a symbian cert and then you can sign it yourself.

vlc is going to be out very soon for symbian v5 and that will allow you to play anything that the cpu is quick enough to decode.

Posted from my n97 waiting to collect a mate at the airport! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

does any of you guys have any idea when this phone might be available on o2 ireland?

Boxfresh wrote: »
    does any of you guys have any idea when this phone might be available on o2 ireland?
    According to a poster here it's sometime this week or next.....may not be bible though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

cheers! from what i read here and other reviews i really can't wait to get my hands on one! they look class. i own a n95 at the mo which is also a fantastic phone

Advertisement