Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i called my local 3 store and the guy reckons they should have it around 18th july. i wonder what price will they be as there still selling the n96 on my plan for 299e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jambooirl

Guys with N97, on the box or inside the device, what does it say about the manufacturing place ? is it finland or anoher country?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jambooirl wrote: »
    Guys with N97, on the box or inside the device, what does it say about the manufacturing place ? is it finland or anoher country?
    Thanks.
    rumour has it that the n97 was going to be the first nokia made in china, but looking at my box it says made in finland.

EDIT: aha, looks like just the NAM (North American) N97 was made in China, the european ones were still made in FInland although Nokia claims they're still identical.

my nokia n97 says made in china. it was brought from UAE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

i called my local 3 store and the guy reckons they should have it around 18th july. i wonder what price will they be as there still selling the n96 on my plan for 299e

Rang the Cork 3 shop yesterday. Reckoned not released till August first two weeks. 600euro pay as you go, approx 450 on bill pay depending on tarriff. I hope there will lots of cheap sim free n97 phones on ebay by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

vibe666 wrote: »

EDIT: aha, looks like just the NAM (North American) N97 was made in China, the european ones were still made in FInland although Nokia claims they're still identical.

No wonder they are selling them there so cheap, cousin of mine got 1 on Independence day for $500 which works out about 360 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

sbhatia wrote: »
    No wonder they are selling them there so cheap, cousin of mine got 1 on Independence day for $500 which works out about 360 euro.
    They are cheaper in America cause Nokia are trying to compete with the price of the iPhone! Has nothing to do with being made in China!

kmart6 wrote: »
    They are cheaper in America cause Nokia are trying to compete with the price of the iPhone! Has nothing to do with being made in China!

yeah i know mate Nokia is trying to break american market, my last post was intended to be as a joke.

yeah i know mate Nokia is trying to break american market, my last post was intended to be as a joke.

well guys, the one i got from uae " china made" is a little bit cheaper than in the UK, not a huge difference tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Donallob

Hi guys,

Got my N97 on Monday and am delighted with it so far.

One problem I have been having though is connecting to the internet.

I have my Home wifi set as priority 1 and Vodafone Live set as Priority 2.

When i turn the phone on and off and there is no wifi con available it will connect to Vodafone Live. If however, I disconnect from vodafone live and try to connect again later it automatically trys to connect me through this BOINGO application. This is the third priority on my connection list. The only way I can solve this is by turning the phone on and off and it will then connect to Vodafone Live again (only once though)

I try to remove Boingo from the connection list but it tells me its locked and when I try to uninstall the app it doesnt appear on the application manager for me to uninstall. Its probably a rookie question but its driving me up the wall :)

Any help wpuld be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

edit your vodafone live settings to voda ireland

That seems to have solved it nazoil, thanks for your help.

EDIT: Actually no, it still reverts back to the Boingo application when trying to connect for a second time :(

Donallob wrote: »
    That seems to have solved it nazoil, thanks for your help.

EDIT: Actually no, it still reverts back to the Boingo application when trying to connect for a second time :(
    boingo is the n97 version of barney the big purple dinosaur. it's the devil and there's no way to completely get rid of it. (i'm assuming everyone is aware that barney is satan and that he will destroy your childrens souls?)

nokia must have struck a deal with the devil to make sure you can't get rid of it as it's a total PITA and of no real value whatsoever imho. :mad:

just been googling and it looks like everyone is having boingo issues and i didn't find anyone who was able to remove it yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

The only solution at the moment appears to be to do a master reset to remove the wifi setting and then move boingo to a separate folder.
    Boingo will still exist but will be out of the way of any accidental clicks.

You will need to back up your Apps and settings first as these will be lost when you master reset.

I predict that this move will come back and bite Boingo on the arse.

Hi guys,

Got my N97 on Monday and am delighted with it so far.

One problem I have been having though is connecting to the internet.

I have my Home wifi set as priority 1 and Vodafone Live set as Priority 2.

When i turn the phone on and off and there is no wifi con available it will connect to Vodafone Live. If however, I disconnect from vodafone live and try to connect again later it automatically trys to connect me through this BOINGO application. This is the third priority on my connection list. The only way I can solve this is by turning the phone on and off and it will then connect to Vodafone Live again (only once though)

I try to remove Boingo from the connection list but it tells me its locked and when I try to uninstall the app it doesnt appear on the application manager for me to uninstall. Its probably a rookie question but its driving me up the wall :)

Any help wpuld be much appreciated.

I don't know if you already did this, but go to your browser -> setting -> General and set connection to Ask when needed , that way it will always ask you what connection to use.

sbhatia

That worked a treat, the settings within the browser itself never occurred to me. I'm A little slow. Thanks for your help.

I have just sent an email to Boingo customer care asking them how I would go about uninstalling it. From what I see on the net though I wont be expecting a reply anytime soon.

@Vibe: if Barney is Satan then I don't want to know what the teletubbies are.

@Vibe: if Barney is Satan then I don't want to know what the teletubbies are.
    i thought it was obvious, they're the four horseman of the apocalypse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grassyknollie

I just ordered the N97 unlocked and debranded online. Got a great deal to be honest. I saw the phone in the states and persumed that it would eventually be released in Ireland. I have since started reading up about it and it looks like O2 Ireland might not be releasing it at all. Does anyone know if this is true? Also I was wondering does anyone know what setting to set up in phone to enable me to use my O2 3G to surf the internet and I currently have a plan for unlimited data with o2 on my present phone. I would like to be able to use this so I dont have to be near an access point to get my mail etc.

If this isnt possible do you think if i sent (data settings, if thats what they are called) that were designed for the n96 to the phone would that allow me to use my 3G data plan or an I s*it out of luck?

Hope ye can help,

Al.

if you already have a phone with an unlimited data plan then just use the sim card out of that in the n97 and it will inherit whatever plan your old phone has, as well as it's phone number.

if you have a 3g mobile broadband (technically midband but meh) dongle you can also set up your pc to share this internet connection and assuming it also has wifi you can then create an ad-hoc connection between your pc and n97 and it will use that too.

afaik unless anything has changed in the last couple of days both o2 and three will both be stocking the n97 very soon, except o2 have (apparently) agreed to only sell it via their carphone warehouse stores so they iphone will still get pride of place in the o2 experience stores so as not to upset the 'apple' cart. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I was wondering does anyone know what setting to set up in phone to enable me to use my O2 3G to surf the internet and I currently have a plan for unlimited data with o2 on my present phone. I would like to be able to use this so I dont have to be near an access point to get my mail etc.

Al, nothing to worry about. When you get the phone, their is a settings wizard on it that will setup all the o2 settings for you automatically for your isp access and for mms.

Menu > applications > Sett wizard > operator

You will also be able to setup email so you wont have to use your browser.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i'm guessing the n97 didnt launch on 3 then? :(

not on the website anyways.

i'm assuming you checked a three hop and they didn't have them?

not yet. ill check at lunch. just a poster back a few pages said a friend stated they would have them in stock :pac: cant blame me for trying. ill report back about 1pm

edit:

just called the store on henry street and they dont have any release details as of yet

aha, finally.
    Dear Nokia N97 Customer,

I really hope you are happy with your new Nokia N97. When purchasing the phone you qualified for £30 eXpansys vouchers to spend on accessories for your new phone.

The £30 voucher is made up of two £15 vouchers* which can be redeemed on two separate orders placed on:

http://www.expansys.com/h.aspx?partner=uknews

Simply enter the codes below into the checkout page and £15 will be deducted from the value of your order.

Your codes are unique, each code can be used once only and it must be used before 31st January 2010 when it will expire.

£15 Voucher Code 1: xxxxxxxxxxx
    £15 Voucher Code 2: xxxxxxxxxxx

Here are a couple of suggestions of accessories you can purchase with your vouchers:

Nokia HS-47 Stereo Headset:
    http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=147878&partner=uknews

Nokia BP-4L Standard Battery:
    http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=151182&partner=uknews

Nokia HF-300 Bluetooth Speakerphone:
    http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=151399

Visit:

http://www.expansys.com/a.aspx?i=176946&partner=uknews

to see the full range of compatible accessories

Once again thanks for shopping at eXpansys.

Regards

eXpansys Marketing
    eXpansys plc

* Terms and conditions apply. Visit the URL below for full details:

http://www.expansys.com/i/mktg/uk_nokia_n97_voucher_promotion_ts_and_cs.pdf

eXpansys UK Ltd, Rutherford House
    40 Pencroft Way, Manchester Science Park MANCHESTER, M15 6SZ, UK

Registered in England and Wales No. 2870061 VAT Number: GB781498191

meh, not that i'm ever likely to actually use them, but you never know. better than nowt anyways. :)

right went into 3. spoke with a guy ther, they are looking at the end of the month. they are just waiting on a firmware upgrade to come out (something to do with skype? possible bullsh1t there but unsure) and its on schedule for the end of july. 600 on 3pay and then the price changes on bill

vibe666 wrote: »
    aha, finally.

meh, not that i'm ever likely to actually use them, but you never know. better than nowt anyways. :)

i received the email as well but still haven't received any Bluetooth headset and case. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Is anyone having the problem that photos taken with the camera aren't saved to the 'Captured' folder? It's kinda annoying when trying to review photos...

helios wrote: »
    Is anyone having the problem that photos taken with the camera aren't saved to the 'Captured' folder? It's kinda annoying when trying to review photos...

It's very annoying, I have the same problem and i am sure everyone has same problem.
    The only option at the moment is to view the photo in Nokia Photo browser and if you want to set pic as wallpaper then from file manager and images. Really very annoying :mad:

N97 V11 released for UK
    Just a Note who hasn't changed their product code yet.

• Advertisement

i received the email as well but still haven't received any Bluetooth headset and case. :(
    well, i got those last week so you might want to send them a mail and see what's happened to them. you ordered yours the day after i ordered mine didn't you?

Advertisement