Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, i got those last week so you might want to send them a mail and see what's happened to them. you ordered yours the day after i ordered mine didn't you?

yeah that's right, i will drop them a mail, are they good quality, have you used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

both official nokia gear, i think i posted pics a few pages back in the thread when i got them. the BT headset is just a bog standard one and the case is a bit of a poor effort and of no real value imho, but overall not bad for freebies.

mind you, when you pay €600+ for a phone you'd expect some sort of something with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

sbhatia wrote: »
    N97 V11 released for UK
    Just a Note who hasn't changed their product code yet.

I am not getting anything showing up via the handset. Will have to check via my laptop later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I am not getting anything showing up via the handset. Will have to check via my laptop later on.

Its not on OTA yet, but is on nsu Version: 11.0.021

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Available for the Black one with 0585162 product code!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Heading to NY in Sept and see that the N97 is available from Nokia's flagship store. Link

Phone only price is €599 (€430)

Is it worth it? Any cons?

manster wrote: »
    Heading to NY in Sept and see that the N97 is available from Nokia's flagship store. Link

Phone only price is €599 (€430)

Is it worth it? Any cons?

Wont have a EU warranty.

Is that the final price, no taxes on top? I didnt check the link

aren't the US using some different mobile frequencies to here?

i know it's quad band, but am i right in thinking that although a euro quad band phone will workin the US and visa versa, one or more of the 4 frequencies is different so you won't have access to all of them?

i honestly don't know for sure that this is correct, but i'm sure i heard somewhere that the US uses different mobile frequencies than europe and asia is different again?

or am i going bonkers? :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    aren't the US using some different mobile frequencies to here?

i know it's quad band, but am i right in thinking that although a euro quad band phone will workin the US and visa versa, one or more of the 4 frequencies is different so you won't have access to all of them?

i honestly don't know for sure that this is correct, but i'm sure i heard somewhere that the US uses different mobile frequencies than europe and asia is different again?

or am i going bonkers? :)

They do have different bands yes, but the phone can handle both sets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Wouldnt risk it due to it not having an EU warranty

Just picked my white sim free UK model up from work a few hours ago after 4 weeks of scouring the net,calling in favours & waiting....currently charging it up before I turn it on,counting the minutes lol

Any tips for what I should do when first turning on...any apps etc I should turn off/uninstall to save on battery etc etc....gonna upgrade firmware before I do anything major like transfer contacts etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Wouldnt risk it due to it not having an EU warranty

Just picked my white sim free UK model up from work a few hours ago after 4 weeks of scouring the net,calling in favours & waiting....currently charging it up before I turn it on,counting the minutes lol

Any tips for what I should do when first turning on...any apps etc I should turn off/uninstall to save on battery etc etc....gonna upgrade firmware before I do anything major like transfer contacts etc

put in your pin??:)

ah there is a few things you should first.

one uninstall most of the crap that it comes with.

bbc iplayer(useless unless you are in england)
    hi 5 and some other ****e apps like that one.

also play around with the widgets aswell to see what you want as the home screen.

also remember to always fully charge the battery. helps the battery alot if you charge it fully instead of charging it a bit and then taken it out.

also i may suggest installing power mp3 for it aswell.

there is a link i put up for it a few pages back(or just google it).

nice looking mp3 player and does a little justice for the not so great speaker on the n97.

also there are a few good apps that i have got already. if you want any just let me know and i will give the links

level : use's the accelerometer so the n97 acts as a level just funny to play with once.

Skype ; im with three so skype phone calls are free. pretty damn good aswell. just found the app on the net and it works perfectly with the n97

numbuzz(for using windows messenger. can be downloaded if you go to the Download! app on the n97 and get it from there.

powermp3; great mp3 player as i said works very well and sound very good.

googlemaps. easily downloaded from google works a treat on the n97.

waiting for vlc to be made for the n97 as that should make the 48gb of memory i have useful.

if you need any help dont hesitate to ask as there is alot of people here including myself that have done through the ins and outs of the n97.

enjoy playing with it for the first time(your lucky you didnt have to deal with most of the bugs)

Sound,thanks......just tried upgrading firnware through NSU & its tellin me not available for the white model product code RM505 :mad:

rm505 is just the model number.

not sure why the update is not availible.

someone on here stated the new v11 update was availible for the uk version.

what version do you have.

its a slight possiblity its already been updating.

soft vers.
    v.10.0.012
    date
    15-5-09
    ......so obv the old version on it

its a sim free white model bought from the Regent St store last week!

hmm makes no sense why the update isnt showing.

you can wait for the update if its just taken longer for the white version and its already out for the black version(makes no reason why it would be any different)

or change the product code to the generic euro1 code.

i must WARN you that some people have BRICKED there n97 doing this.

i have done do this way and havent had a problem and same goes to a few people on boards.

just a word of caution.

if you dont know how to do i can tell you how if you want to go through with it.

Na to be honest chief I dont wanna void my warranty by changing the product code so will hang on in there I guess, cant be long now

Heres a Q if anyone can help me with.
    Have set up my Gmail to come in through the email inbox, first time i connected it grabbed the 30 most recent mails.....only 1 of which was new....read it, then deleted off my phone & server, but as it deletes the mails the phone keeps grabbing the 30 previous mails to the ones i just deleted!!
    Have looked in email settings but cant seem to see anything to limit as to when to stop going back to in terms of old mail...at this rate ill have to let it nab my entire inbox so i can delete'em all to start afresh....anyway of stopping it doing this??

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Accorinding to a woman in the meteor store the nokia rep was in with them and they were told it was arriving in "about a month" , although that could run "into september" she warned, would be about 200 quid, not sure if i can wait that long

Questions:

Is it just as handy to send texts via the touchscreen as a physical keppad?
    Do you miss the Dpad on the front like on the N95?
    Are the speakers really poor on the phone and should I expect a massive downgrade on the sound from my w810i phone speakers?

Cheers

Na to be honest chief I dont wanna void my warranty by changing the product code so will hang on in there I guess, cant be long now

Heres a Q if anyone can help me with.
    Have set up my Gmail to come in through the email inbox, first time i connected it grabbed the 30 most recent mails.....only 1 of which was new....read it, then deleted off my phone & server, but as it deletes the mails the phone keeps grabbing the 30 previous mails to the ones i just deleted!!
    Have looked in email settings but cant seem to see anything to limit as to when to stop going back to in terms of old mail...at this rate ill have to let it nab my entire inbox so i can delete'em all to start afresh....anyway of stopping it doing this??

have the same problem. not sure how to get it to stop grabbing them all.

will check again and see if i can figuire it out. unless. someone else here already has.

DRice wrote: »
    Accorinding to a woman in the meteor store the nokia rep was in with them and they were told it was arriving in "about a month" , although that could run "into september" she warned, would be about 200 quid, not sure if i can wait that long

Questions:

Are the speakers really poor on the phone and should I expect a massive downgrade on the sound from my w810i phone speakers?

Cheers

i use the touchpad(its just the same as anyphone pad but the number are on the screen( okay for short text with t9 on but if its a long text you would wanna whip out the qwerty as its really easy to get fast on that thing.

not really. for text a tactile button will be mised in the form of t9 and stuff but when it comes to browsing the n95 was really a pain flipping out the keyboard to type something. alot easier with the n97 as its already there and easy to type.

they are not at all bad just not as loud as the n95 speakers, not sure about the w810i as i have never used it. lets just say the do for me but if you are expecting loud great speakers you will be disappointed.

anymore question just ask.

DRice wrote: »

Questions:

Cheers

Mate I just looked at your post & at first glance thought it was someone takin the piss....looks like youve the exact same first initial & surname as me lol

Anyway....from just messin around the last few hours it seems handy enough to send from the touchscreen although takes a bit of gettin used to....I had an N95 for years which went busto on me a few months back & got a Samsung F480 for free to tide me over till N97 came out, was a good training ground for touchscreen texting

D-Pad I miss alright......but there wouldnt be a point seen as its touchscreen

Cant comment on speakers

Thor wrote: »
    have the same problem. not sure how to get it to stop grabbing them all.

will check again and see if i can figuire it out. unless. someone else here already has.

Its wrecking my head....and Ive just realised that its been deleting the mails from my actual inbox thats accessible online aswell as Ive been deleting them on the phone grrrrrrrr.....it never did that before when i selected server also with any other phone....thought i'd lost about a weeks worth of mails till i went into "all mail" & moved them back to inbox :mad:

Is there a diff mail app people have been using? As I use my gmail pretty regularly on my phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Its wrecking my head....and Ive just realised that its been deleting the mails from my actual inbox thats accessible online aswell as Ive been deleting them on the phone grrrrrrrr.....it never did that before when i selected server also with any other phone....thought i'd lost about a weeks worth of mails till i went into "all mail" & moved them back to inbox :mad:

Is there a diff mail app people have been using? As I use my gmail pretty regularly on my phone

If you have lots of diff email accounts like me the profimail is best, you can have upto 35 email accouts at once, i bought it for 10 euro last week from sale but now it has gone up to 21.99 again, so you might wait.

And just for your Gmail Opera mini just works great and you can save your details so you don't have to enter it again and again.

Ahhh sure just remembered the gmail app you can download from their mobile site.....just nabbed that instead :)

Just noticed I didnt get a TV Out cable in the box with mine, is this the norm or did ye all get one?

Also Ive amemory card in the phone with loadsa pics & vidss etc on there from my N95, is there any way of transferring these to the gallery (Im assuming its "Photos") on the N97?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Just wondering, Am thinking of buying eitheir samsung i8910 hd or N97.found my n95 ok but just need a change. what would you reccommend and if I go for samsung it looks like an e-bay job as samsung ireland told me they have no plans for selling the I8910 hd in ireland...would appreciate any thoughts as you seem to know what your talking about...my principal uses would be (apart from phone) multimedia (drawn to samsungs screen) and radio... many thanks,,,slinger99 ... PS..dont fancy i phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coffee to go

I've been considering the exact same situation, and after a day of extensive web trawling, I have concluded that unless you're dead set on having the keyboard, or having the 32gb of memory already onboard, the i8910 pretty much beats the N97 on all fronts. Both run on Symbian 5, but the Samsung processor appears to show the Nokia to be lacking in umph. I suppose the Samsung doesn't have a real store yet either, but being Symbian this isn't a big issue, as you could install a fair amount yourself. I am still trying to clarify the deal with GPS navigation on the Samsung - their website seems to offer a download of Route66 software for the i8910 and the Jet. Don't know about maps, but I'd plan to recycle my Route66 maps on my current 6110 Navigator if I can. The i8910 also appears to shade it price-wise.

Just my two cents.
    slinger99 wrote: »
    Just wondering, Am thinking of buying eitheir samsung i8910 hd or N97.found my n95 ok but just need a change. what would you reccommend and if I go for samsung it looks like an e-bay job as samsung ireland told me they have no plans for selling the I8910 hd in ireland...would appreciate any thoughts as you seem to know what your talking about...my principal uses would be (apart from phone) multimedia (drawn to samsungs screen) and radio... many thanks,,,slinger99 ... PS..dont fancy i phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if its working properly it should delete your emails from the website version aswell if you select phone and server :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just noticed I didnt get a TV Out cable in the box with mine, is this the norm or did ye all get one?

It's the norm for this phone! Nokia basically seemed to have come to the conclusion that everyone has one already, or if your really going to need it you can get it at your own expense! Makes sense really cause I know a lot of people would never use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

thanks a million "coffee to go" was leaning that way anyway..gps not that important as i have a sat nav,,,,,,would you reccommend any website or e-bay seller to buy the samsung from.. i was a little bit tentative about buying it on e bay from as far afield as hong kong.. €50 is one thing to have a punt on but €500 approx is a different matter..thanks again...slinger 99

Thor wrote: »
    Skype ; im with three so skype phone calls are free. pretty damn good aswell. just found the app on the net and it works perfectly with the n97
    have you got a link to download it?

all i can find on the net is hundreds of news articles of people giving out because it was rumoured to be included and then again giving out when it wasn't.

thanks. :)

the one from the n95 works fine and the 5800 and n96 both came with one too afaik.

failing that, you can pick them up dirt cheap on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=nokia+tv+out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I've just ordered an I8910 from pixmania.ie, it was 608 euros last week but is 538 at the moment. Sickeningly the UK site had it at 399sterling last week, 465 euros, but I couldn't order from there since they have an Irish site. I fail to see why (ie. what a load of bollix!) as it's shipped from France anyway.

The UI is apparently in French, but it's easily changed to English in the settings. It should be shipped tmrw (it's apparently a bank holiday there today) and I hope to have it on Friday.

A very good source of info is ...

http://samsungi8910omnia.com/

Advertisement