Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

before i got the n97 of expansys their euro price was 100€ more than their sterling price at current exchange rates, so i emailed them asking why that was and they said there was a mistake somewhere and they fixed it that day before i ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The £15 vouchers can be used on the .ie site, valved at €17.40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If you were going to buy a Black N97, where is the cheapest to get one at the moment? Clove seems to be around 100 euros cheaper than Expanseys? Anywhere else?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Mirrorboy

Drive up to Northern Ireland to get one perhaps:confused: ...i assume it has got to be cheaper that €650

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Mirrorboy wrote: »
    Drive up to Northern Ireland to get one perhaps:confused: ...i assume it has got to be cheaper that €650

Clove is e550 so I was wondering if anyone knew of any place that is selling it cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

vibe666 wrote: »
    have you got a link to download it?

all i can find on the net is hundreds of news articles of people giving out because it was rumoured to be included and then again giving out when it wasn't.

thanks. :)

hey vibe,

here is skype file.

works a treat on the n97.

when using it for the first time just select three ireland and then you are away.

thanks, i'll give it a go tonight.

do you think it'll still work on o2 or is it a 'three only' type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Would it be possible that the N97 could support HD video recording via a firmware update? I mean, it has the resolution and potentially the processing power?

anything is possible, but i imagine HD video encoding would need a hardware encoder built in to do that effectively, and i seriously doubt that the n97 would have the power to do it without (unfortunately). :(

do you think it'll still work on o2 or is it a 'three only' type thing?
    nope, looks like it's three only. :(

had a go with the skype lite client that works on the n95 & n96 and it works, but no touchscreen yet, so you haved to make do with half the screen filled with the onscreen buttons. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Fring not suit?
    nope, looks like it's three only. :(

had a go with the skype lite client that works on the n95 & n96 and it works, but no touchscreen yet, so you haved to make do with half the screen filled with the onscreen buttons. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

got my n97 today, just setting it up with my contacts, calander etc, however cant seem to figure out how to ask for connection as all my widgets are defaulting to 3 for data, how do I set the phone to request a access point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

real_484 wrote: »
    got my n97 today, just setting it up with my contacts, calander etc, however cant seem to figure out how to ask for connection as all my widgets are defaulting to 3 for data, how do I set the phone to request a access point?

Menu > settings > connectivity > destinations > then you can manage from there which to use when available.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

God its complicated though!! - Got mine Monday its great - on my previous phone Nokia N82 when I was picking up email outside of my wifi network at home it gave you the choice to pick up from Meteor wap when the wifi was not available - can anyone walk me through this one because at the moment if I try and pick up my email out and about it just gives me an error message saying my wi fi is unavailable and doesnt give you an alternate option to use your network providers data package....:(:(:( - Thanks Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

kilsmum wrote: »
    God its complicated though!! - Got mine Monday its great - on my previous phone Nokia N82 when I was picking up email outside of my wifi network at home it gave you the choice to pick up from Meteor wap when the wifi was not available - can anyone walk me through this one because at the moment if I try and pick up my email out and about it just gives me an error message saying my wi fi is unavailable and doesnt give you an alternate option to use your network providers data package....:(:(:( - Thanks Kilsmum

What app you are talking about email.
    Try this go to your webbrowser-> setting-> general-> always ask
    or let us know what problem you are facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

sbhatia wrote: »

And captured pics are finally saving to the 'captured' folder!!

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Fring not suit?
    no, not a fan at all, it bugs the crap out of me.

i do have it installed, but i don't use it unless totally necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

all those 'Fring' and the likes route every call through their own server for some unknown reason.

i also wonder what their business model is.. spyware?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Another Question

Does it feel like a big phone? I mean unnecessarily big, do you wish , at all, that you had yourself a little phone that fitted in your pocket like a box of matches like the sony w995?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-review-329.php

• Advertisement

DRice wrote: »
    Another Question

Does it feel like a big phone? I mean unnecessarily big, do you wish , at all, that you had yourself a little phone that fitted in your pocket like a box of matches like the sony w995?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-review-329.php

To me size is not a problem, Its not even as bulky as N95, Fits perfect in hand and pocket and the sonyw995 has only 2.6" screen and N97 has 3.5" so there ought to be some diff anyway.

DRice wrote: »
    it feels smaller than an iphone but bigger than an n95, but if you wanted a small light phone that didn't do much you'd probably go for one (the sony). it's (the n97) big because there's a lot in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

it feels smaller than an iphone but bigger than an n95

I think you got those the wrong way around.

Any word yet on when the white N97 is getting its firmware update. Don't wanna mess with product codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

What app you are talking about email.
    Try this go to your webbrowser-> setting-> general-> always ask
    or let us know what problem you are facing.

Sbhatia - did what you said thanks for your help - the phone was Vodafone unlocked from the uk so deleted all the vodafone wap & mms settings in the Network Destinations menu - At the moment I have 2 internet access points My home wi fi is no. 1 and the stupid Boingo is no. 2, multimedia msg I have Meteor mms set up as priority 1, and for wap services I have Meteor wap as priority 1, when I go into the settings for my email in the connection settings when I click on access point in use it doesnt give you the option that I used previously have with my N82 which was "always ask" just a menu in this order: default connection, My home wi fi, Boingo! Meteor wap and Meteor mms - Im just trying to sort it that when Im out and about and want to pick up email that if the phone detects that its not in the home wi fi that it will give me the option of using Meteor wap :D:D:D:D Cheers Kilsmum

kilsmum wrote: »
    Sbhatia - did what you said thanks for your help - the phone was Vodafone unlocked from the uk so deleted all the vodafone wap & mms settings in the Network Destinations menu - At the moment I have 2 internet access points My home wi fi is no. 1 and the stupid Boingo is no. 2, multimedia msg I have Meteor mms set up as priority 1, and for wap services I have Meteor wap as priority 1, when I go into the settings for my email in the connection settings when I click on access point in use it doesnt give you the option that I used previously have with my N82 which was "always ask" just a menu in this order: default connection, My home wi fi, Boingo! Meteor wap and Meteor mms - Im just trying to sort it that when Im out and about and want to pick up email that if the phone detects that its not in the home wi fi that it will give me the option of using Meteor wap :D:D:D:D Cheers Kilsmum

glad to know it worked, For email you can also use Opera mini which is great for whole web also and better than inbuilt browser.

Otacon wrote: »
    I think you got those the wrong way around.
    i don't think I did. not sure it would be physically possible for it to be smaller than an n95 and still be bigger than an iphone. :)

(elaborated my previous post a bit in case it wasn't clear what i meant). :)

722687870_727d4f3e3b_m.jpg

i don't think I did. not sure it would be physically possible for it to be smaller than an n95 and still be bigger than an iphone. :)

Is the pic taken from N97? Crisp clear quality...
    I found after fw upgrade Camera quality has improved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sorry, I was talking more about the bulk of the phone's rather than the front dimensions. I had an iPhone and my housemate had a N95. The iPhone always felt less bulky in the pocket.

I feel that the N97 is less bulky compared to the N95 but more bulky compared to the iPhone.

Is the pic taken from N97? Crisp clear quality...
    no, i just robbed it off a random site on the net. :)
    Otacon wrote: »
    Sorry, I was talking more about the bulk of the phone's rather than the front dimensions. I had an iPhone and my housemate had a N95. The iPhone always felt less bulky in the pocket.

I feel that the N97 is less bulky compared to the N95 but more bulky compared to the iPhone.
    ah, right. i think we both misunderstood each other. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

rang vodafone today for an update on relese date..

They siad its officially launched in Ireland on the 24th of this month...

but they dont expect stock till middle of august!!!!

cramp

Advertisement