Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Any word on 02 getting it ?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

cramp wrote: »
    rang vodafone today for an update on relese date..

They siad its officially launched in Ireland on the 24th of this month...

but they dont expect stock till middle of august!!!!

cramp

^

Has the N97 "Mini" rumour been knocked on the head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jamie32

cramp wrote: »
    rang vodafone today for an update on relese date..

They siad its officially launched in Ireland on the 24th of this month...

but they dont expect stock till middle of august!!!!

cramp

So are you confimring that Vodafone will have the N97 by end of August?? If that's the case i'll be first in the queue! Depending on what the cost is...i'm an existing customer of Vodafone through work and can't change networks so it would work out perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Checked in a meteor store yesterday, they said earliest would be end of August but possibly mid September. Should be 200-250 on bill pay.

I'm waiting for 3 to get it, hopefully they'll have it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it'll bethe same as always, they'll just keep people hanging on for months talling them it'll be out "soon" so they don't go off and buy it somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

vibe666 wrote: »
    it'll bethe same as always, they'll just keep people hanging on for months talling them it'll be out "soon" so they don't go off and buy it somewhere else.

Exactly, tommorow will be 1 month i have my N97 , o2 and 3 both promised to have it by end of jun or first week of july. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

vibe666 wrote: »

The quote above relating to the meteor store (August / September) would have been given to staff directly by a Nokia rep.

I know this because I happened to be in a city centre Meteor store earlier in the week and spotted a young chap in business attire wearing a nokia id lanyard around his neck in conversation with the black shirted store staff.

I collard him on his way out to ask about the N97, and he produced his own & let me have a good look, then stated that it will be out Late august/Early sept.

So although Im sure that Meteor & O2 etc would indeed prefer that you bought from them when it's eventually released, the ambiguity in this case is from nokia, not the networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Hey all, I'll be heading up to Belfast today and was hoping to pick up an N97 for myself there. Anyone know of any decent shops up there that might stock it? Thanks

The Roach wrote: »
    Hey all, I'll be heading up to Belfast today and was hoping to pick up an N97 for myself there. Anyone know of any decent shops up there that might stock it? Thanks

Save time and pickup from Newry -> Phone4u-> Buttercrane shopping center , you can get from any phones4u in north anyway, white one is exclusive to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jamie32

sbhatia wrote: »
    Save time and pickup from Newry -> Phone4u-> Buttercrane shopping center , you can get from any phones4u in north anyway, white one is exclusive to them.

Really? Sim free I take it? How much?

• Advertisement

Jamie32 wrote: »
    Really? Sim free I take it? How much?

yes simfree, was there myself 3weeks ago. £490 , Even Nokia store is selling them for £499.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Nice, thanks! Do they sell the black one too? never been a fan of white electronics myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The quote above relating to the meteor store (August / September) would have been given to staff directly by a Nokia rep.

I know this because I happened to be in a city centre Meteor store earlier in the week and spotted a young chap in business attire wearing a nokia id lanyard around his neck in conversation with the black shirted store staff.

I collard him on his way out to ask about the N97, and he produced his own & let me have a good look, then stated that it will be out Late august/Early sept.

So although Im sure that Meteor & O2 etc would indeed prefer that you bought from them when it's eventually released, the ambiguity in this case is from nokia, not the networks.

Thats exactly what they said, the Nokia rep had been in the day before showing off the n97 to them.

The Roach wrote: »
    Nice, thanks! Do they sell the black one too? never been a fan of white electronics myself :D

Yes They have black one also. same as my self shiney little number.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I don't work for Fring but I would imagine that the reason they route through their own servers is that they use their own protocol between the phone and their server and their server then acts as a gateway to the other services. In that way they can keep the client size minimal. They have basically done what Microsoft and Skype both seem incapable of doing even a couple of years later - providing their voice service on mobile phones.

I have never seen any suggestion that Fring carries any malware so if they have some onboard they've done an excellent job hiding it. Security-wise, phones are quite a bit more restrictive than PCs and it is hard to imagine the purpose of such malware - if they disrupt their users' they would have a pretty short lifespan. They also seem to have a close relationship with Nokia which I doubt would exist if there were such questions.

As for revenue, they have been experimenting with ads in the interface in a way that suggests they are very conscious of the importance of not annoying users unnecessarily.

towel401 wrote: »
    all those 'Fring' and the likes route every call through their own server for some unknown reason.

i also wonder what their business model is.. spyware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

quick question for numpty n97 or ipone 3gs for some who wants music and phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grassyknollie

can anyone recommend good sis sites for free games etc. There is always a few out there. I have tried using links from easy-share and the games wont download.

Any recommendations.

Also just wondering,

When storing music on the phone do you put them into the digital forlder or what do people do. So far I've had a few small problems being able to recognise music and video files on the phone and was wondering is there a specific direcory layout you need to use.

Hope ye can help

Al.

xanthor wrote: »
    ^

Has the N97 "Mini" rumour been knocked on the head?

Anyone? Or is it time to skip back to 02?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well Vodafone got rid of any evidence about it!

There's been no word of any such device on the reliable sites such as AAS!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

When is it out on the networks..
    DYING to get one.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Something will be coming out at some stage. It was described to me as being a slightly revised version of the n97 that would make it cheaper to sell. That's about the only info that I can offer.

Look at what they have just done with the 5800 for example. They have released a 5800i with the only difference being what is contained in the box, i.e. no tv cable, a short usb cable and a mini cd.

^ Thanks for that. Can manage without most of the packaged extras, but if they start messing with the phone itself, i'm jumping ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

^ Thanks for that. Can manage without most of the packaged extras, but if they start messing with the phone itself, i'm jumping ship.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

holdfast wrote: »

iPhone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

kerno wrote: »
    When is it out on the networks..
    DYING to get one.. :mad:

got the following email from 02 today

''At the moment I can advise that o2 will be releasing the new Nokia N97 at some stage in August.
    Unfortunately at the moment, I don't have an exact date for this.''

holdfast wrote: »
    i suppose it depends if the gui and ease of use or the actual sound output are more important to you.

GSM Arena have started doing extensive music tests and the n97 came out very well in the sound quality department when using the 3.5mm jack, even though lots of people have commented on the lack of grunt when using the speakers.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n97-review-363p7.php

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

I'm getting the N97, if i buy in UK it works out a about €550, cheapest i could find in ireland is €650 on expansys, Went into carphone warehouse, they told me they would be selling it for €550, but couldnt tell me when it would be out, i would like to buy it before the end of the week,

Are UK phones fully compatible in ireland?

What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Thor wrote: »
    have the same problem. not sure how to get it to stop grabbing them all.

will check again and see if i can figuire it out. unless. someone else here already has.

Just figured out how to do this finally mate if you havnt already....I put a post up on the nokia discussions board & 2secs later a friend in work explained it to me & i figured the rest myself, typical!

Problem is because we're seting up through the wizard & entering a gmail address as our email address its automatically grabbing the settings as IMAP4. (which is what auto syncs your entire mailbox)
    Then when you try to change it in the settings it wont allow it, this is where the problem lies.
    Gmail allows you to set it up via IMAP4 or POP3....you just need to be able to access the manual settings on the phone.
    Was scratching my head for a few mins but gave something a go & it worked....in order to access the manual settings I started the wizard as normal... but this time put in my email address as "whateveryouremailis@g.com"
    When it didnt recognise the g.com bit...it asks you to put in Pop3 settings & all the usual bits which I nabbed off the Gmail settings tab on my actual account & set it also to only activate POP3 settings for mail from now.

Then its just a case of closing out once its setup & going back in & tweaking some settings like the incoming port number etc

Should all work fine then....hopefully you can follow my meandering explanation lol

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Only thing about all these handsets is there's not a battery out yet that sustains them for a decent period when taking advantage of it's features.

Also looking at this these:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_idou-2683.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_km900_arena-2666.php

i got my girlfriend one for her birthday the other day, its really really amazing and fun, the internet options are class on it!

with the battery, it lasted her about 2 days with one charge thats very very good for a phone that has so much in it!
    i'm definitly getting one too soon enough , was half thinking of just keeping her one before i gave it to her but i already told her i got her an amazing present! :pac:

seriously this phone is 9 1/2 out of 10 for me!

• Advertisement

there's a few 'extended' batteries for the n97 on ebay already, but one of them was listed as a 1000mAh 'extended' n97 battery, which is 550mAh shy of the 'standard' 1550mAh battery you get with it, so watch out for cons. :D

expect the double thickness/capacity batteries to come out any time now with the fat back cover like the 5800 and n95 ones.

Advertisement