Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Is the general consensus that the N97 is good here? I have an N95.

Still no news from o2. They had told me they were expecting them end of last week. Now there are rumours of August. But sure I could hold off until August and be told September. Anyone got any thoughts? Omnia HD would be my phone of choice but no date on that anywhere with o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Praetorian wrote: »

Yes, im very happy with mine. My previous main phone was a n95.
    Still no news from o2. They had told me they were expecting them end of last week. Now there are rumours of August. But sure I could hold off until August and be told September. Anyone got any thoughts? Omnia HD would be my phone of choice but no date on that anywhere with o2.

Well apparently they will have it out in the next 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

... Omnia HD would be my phone of choice but no date on that anywhere with o2.

IIRC someone in this thread was told by Samsung Ireland that the Omnia HD won't be available on any network here.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

I've been using an N95 for the last 2 years or so, and just got myself an N97, and so far I'm loving it. It has all the same features as the N95 and more, and so far I've yet to find one thing I prefer on the N95 over this.

Basically, if you're happy with your N95, you'll like this; I know people with fruity phones that laugh at the N-series' interface, but if you're already used to the N95 you'll be right at home using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Yes- same here.

Moved from the n95 to the n97 and I love it!

GREAT handset!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    Yes- same here.

Moved from the n95 to the n97 and I love it!

GREAT handset!
    ditto, went from n95 8gb to the n97 and couldn't be happier. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have the N95 8gb and looking to get N97 before the year end:rolleyes:

On 02 Network and rang them to see when they will have this. Their customer service did not have a scooby doo & that its not on their list of phones they are testing:confused:

Anyone got any inside information if they will or is the only place to get this online and sim free or will they have it even for xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Suppose I'll just wait the extra 2 weeks to see if it turns up on o2 :|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

BTW

Just got a text saying that an update [v11 I assume] is available for my phone, meaning anyone who has a SIM-free white UK model can now get your update without messing with product codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Ive a sim free white UK model....will check when I get home....where'd you get the text from?

• Advertisement

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Ive a sim free white UK model....will check when I get home....where'd you get the text from?

Signed up to MyNokia, got it from them.

Coolio, just saw over on the nokia forums that theyre saying its the v11 alright....thanks for the update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Have the N95 8gb and looking to get N97 before the year end:rolleyes:

On 02 Network and rang them to see when they will have this. Their customer service did not have a scooby doo & that its not on their list of phones they are testing:confused:

Anyone got any inside information if they will or is the only place to get this online and sim free or will they have it even for xmas?

The Mods on the o2 forums said most likely launch by end of July.
    They have no idea on price range just yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Seems to be different view on the uk forum

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=735

Not sure if 02 will do it here if not doing it in uk?

Seems to be different view on the ok forum

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=735

Not sure if 02 will do it here if not doing it in uk?

Ire and uk are totally separate. o2 here have said end of july/ early august it will be for sale.

Otacon wrote: »
    BTW

Just got a text saying that an update [v11 I assume] is available for my phone, meaning anyone who has a SIM-free white UK model can now get your update without messing with product codes.

Just an update.

I still have not upgraded, despite four attempts to last night. After about three percent, a message appeared saying something about how it may be caused by a slow or intermittent Internet connection [though it appears fine for everything else.

I also can't upgrade over the air via the Settings-Phone-Phone Mgmt-Device Updates option.

Is there any other way of upgrading?

Otacon wrote: »
    Just an update.

I still have not upgraded, despite four attempts to last night. After about three percent, a message appeared saying something about how it may be caused by a slow or intermittent Internet connection [though it appears fine for everything else.

I also can't upgrade over the air via the Settings-Phone-Phone Mgmt-Device Updates option.

Is there any other way of upgrading?

Have you tried connecting it again this morning via pc?

Must be your connection chief, worked fine for me....no probs at all

Although Ive yet to notice any real difference, my phone was pretty bug free to begin with

Davy wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting it again this morning via pc?
    Pulse8 wrote: »
    Must be your connection chief, worked fine for me....no probs at all

Although Ive yet to notice any real difference, my phone was pretty bug free to begin with

I'll be trying again this evening.

My net connection is suspect at times but usually, if one thing is seeing an issue, I also see it elsewhere. My PS3 and PC connects were all grand before and after my attempts [wasn't d/ling anything else btw]

Anyway, as I said, will give it a shot tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnMc85

For you guys looking to get the N97 on through your irish network, it will be released in August. Possibly the 1st week with O2 and Vodafone confirmed to be getting the phone... But also told that all networks have opted in to get the phone.

Same interface as the 5800 and with the phone on bill pay, you can purchase applications from the Ovi store without the use of a credit card. The price of the apps will be added to your monthly bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Main release rumours have been doing the rounds already,so nothing new there!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

JohnMc85 wrote: »
    Vodafone confirmed to be getting the phone...

When did Vodafone announce that they were going to carry the n97?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Its interesting to see that, apparently, nobody has had problems with the N97. Since I bought it a few weeks ago I have had loads of issues.

Nevertheless I love the phone, although at first I though it was a bit lame I got used to it. I still think is not worth spending that amount of money for it and I think that symbian s60 5th is a bit old looking and doesnt take full advantage of the phones potencial, as well as the screen capabilities.

The problems I am having are mostly related to dodgy firmware/software issues, like the GPS (wont pin point your location even when when the phone is detecting several gps satellites, I even bought an external GPS ant. and it made no difference), backlight issues, phone freezes from time to time (not too bad though), it has issues with the network priorities, doesnt seem to care how you prioritize them, once it connects through a network it never changes.

The phone NEEDS an active data connection to properly work. Most of the problems I have with GPS are because of these, even if I remove "network based" from the GPS localtion methods options it still freezes and will not pin point your location.

There are many other smaller problems that I am sure that future firmware upgrades will solve.

The battery doesnt last more than 4 - 6 hours if you make intense use of the phone (and I mean intense), on normal use, that is browsing, emails, music, it would last 12-14 hours max, no way jose 48 hours. The only way it will last that long is if you only use it as a phone and disable most features. Greater battery life would be ok but tbh 6 hours is not bad as is more than what you get on most laptops, just keep a charger close to you!

The main problem seems to be with the camera cover. It seems to scratch the phone lens. At first I though it was me and, although I had been extremelly carefull I though I did something wrong but the other day I realized that apparently this is a common issue with most N97.

Sometimes the cover will scratch the len and this wont affect the picture quality, but sometimes when you use the flash the light will blur one side of the picture so the only option is not to use the flash.

Fixing it will cost 35 euro (not too bad). I have taken the phone to a nokia care centre and they will contact Nokia and decide whether this is covered under warranty or not.

I told him I didnt mind paying 35 euro but if is going to happen again and all this is due to a cover defect then I dont want to keep paying 35 euro everytime the len is ruined.

he will contact me and let me know

The funny thing is that I still love this phone, although pricey, very much, is lovely, feels great and it works, when it works, great. You def need an data connection with this phone, browsing is no more a pain as it use to be with other nokias. Future software upgrades will make the phone way better.

I would love it if nokia would release a better OS for this phone though!!

also pretty sad the negative of Vodafone to release this phone, they have mentioned they are thinking of releasing a "limited" or "reduced" version called N97 lite but not sure if it will be good enough.

Hope this helps!
    PS: I know I might contradict myself in this post, the phone is good, the phone is bad, but that's exactly how it makes you feel, sometimes I love it, sometimes I regret having bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Its seems to be hit and miss. I have had none of the problems above with mine apart from the backlight issue which seems to have been fixed for me at least in the current firmware. On the GPS when i dont use network based assisted it still locates my postion it just takes much longer to do it some but that is to be expected when starting up many GPS recievers.

The only other problem i have is that if you turn on them effects the GUI can become extremely buggy when performing some of the transitions and they seem to blend in poorly and be jumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

some great info here folks... my n97 is on order... can any of ye recommend a decent case for the n97, or should i just use a standard slipcase and screen protectors?

I currently have a 5800xm and have a silicone case and screen prot... but i find that the silicone case bulks up the fone more than id like.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

SoundWave wrote: »
    some great info here folks... my n97 is on order... can any of ye recommend a decent case for the n97, or should i just use a standard slipcase and screen protectors?

I currently have a 5800xm and have a silicone case and screen prot... but i find that the silicone case bulks up the fone more than id like.

I ordered 1 from ebay and to tell you truth never even used it
    , because ph looks so ugly with it.
    Screen protecter must have , order 1from ebay, buy the 3 layers one.
    i still have nokia's screen protecter that came with phone and it's more than month but still intact.

Just a question???

How you guys doing with Maps keep diapperaing and have to install again.
    I have backup folder so when this happens i just copy it back to cities folder, as europe map is about 1.9 gb so takes long time. :mad:
    any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I have my N97 for 8 days now and it keeps getting better the more I fiddle with it... Especially since getting Smartmovie. I've been watching episodes of HOUSE all week. Can't believe how awful the programme is, but it looks great. I need to find something good that I haven't seen (don't bother with the recommendations here, I know what I like and I've seen most TV shows that interest me).

I have one of those rubber case covers on the way. I agree it can make these things bulky, but for roughly 3euros (with screen protector) I thought it was worth a bash.
    Hope it arrives today -postman doesn't get here before 12 usually.
    So much for "hard to scratch". Mine has a scratch already near the centre of the screen. It can't be seen when the screen is on so it's not bad, but I've seen some youtube videos that seem to have difficulty making a mark on it... not true. I don't even know how it got there. It's not like I was juggling with it.

One slight negative for me is that I bought it from Germany and didn't think of their QWERTZ keyboard layout. It also uses one key for squiggly german characters with umalot type things (making it harder to do full-stops -I think- from UK layout N97s).

So I was wondering if I upgraded using the UK firmware I should be able to 'transform' it to those key settings... shouldn't I?

I realise some of my keys will say one thing and show another, but I wouldn't mind that.
    Truth be told I'm not really bothered by how it is laid out now, but I don't seem to have V11 firmware available to me yet.

Anyone got a link to the official V11? Or any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Has not happened to me. Only issue I have had so far is the web browser crashing now and again when I am posting on boards.

• Advertisement

Anyone got a link to the official V11? Or any other suggestions?

If you are willing to change product code then there are lots of suggestions :)

Advertisement