Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Has not happened to me. Only issue I have had so far is the web browser crashing now and again when I am posting on boards.

Use opera mini for that, works great. thanks for input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

don't bother with the recommendations here, I know what I like and I've seen most TV shows that interest me)

I know u said dont bother... but "Breaking Bad"... give it a try if u havnt already...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

sbhatia wrote: »
    If you are willing to change product code then there are lots of suggestions :)

Y'know I never (ever) had a mobile before this. I don't quite understand the ins & outs of it, but would changing the product code affect the serial number/ IMEI? I had to use that to buy Smartmovie (didn't realise I was using an unofficial version before then, but it stopped working anyway -real version was only 22euros and well worth it).

If I changed the product code would it invalidate Smartmovie and/or have other warranty implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Y'know I never (ever) had a mobile before this. I don't quite understand the ins & outs of it, but would changing the product code affect the serial number/ IMEI? I had to use that to buy Smartmovie (didn't realise I was using an unofficial version before then, but it stopped working anyway -real version was only 22euros and well worth it).

If I changed the product code would it invalidate Smartmovie and/or have other warranty implications?

Changing the product code won't affect the IMEI, and you will still be able to use Smart Movie.

But it will invalidated The Warranty.(and 1 mistake could brick the phone)

My advise as it's your First Ph you won't prob notice any bug at all and you will be loving it so wait for few more days.
    any question feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

Well it seems to be a common issue the problem with the lens

I was looking around the nokia forums and saw this

http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=151318&query.id=1245352#M151318

and here

http://www.nokiausers.net/N-Series/Nokia-N97-Self-Harming-Check-your-N97-s-Main-Camera-Glass.html

and even a poll here!

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/nokia-n97/28878-your-n97-camera-glass-being-marked-slide-cover-pics-damage-only-here.html

Out of 77 n97 users 59 had experience issues with the lens

Maybe is related to a particular type or batch?

Some of them had returned the phone several times already and had the experience the same problem with the replacements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Doh, have the exact same issue :(

The main screen actually has quite a large number of light scratches on it also. Far far more than even my N95 8GB had after 18 months of usage.

Have just had in my jean pockets and have been careful not to put keys or coins in the same pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Doh, have the exact same issue :(

The main screen actually has quite a large number of light scratches on it also. Far far more than even my N95 8GB had after 18 months of usage.

Have just had in my jean pockets and have been careful not to put keys or coins in the same pocket.

Well I am "kind of" relief, I though I was the only one in Ireland with that problem. You should take it to the nokia care centre. I took mine to fonemenders in Sandyford, in front of the LUAS stations. At least if you bring it there they will start seeing a pattern. They said they were going to contact nokia and ask if it should be covered under warranty... I am waiting for a callback. Otherwise they said it would be 35 euro.

Of course maybe they are far from where you are...

Work about 2 mins away from it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Work about 2 mins away from it :D

Well if you pop up and talk to them at least they wont think I am crazy, although the guy seemed really understanding... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mobile phone repair company is also in sandyford, and fonemenders also have a place in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I've had mine since Tuesday. Got it from Clove in the UK at GBP408 (didn't pay VAT thanks to a friend). Upgraded from N95/8GB...Absolutely love the phone. Especially since I've started "customising" it to suit my tastes.:P

Unfortunately I've got a few niggles (nothing major) that maybe some kind soul can help me with:
    - I usually save my contacts to the SIM, in case of something happening to the phone. When I inserted my SIM in the phone, all contacts are seen normally, no problems making calls. Set the phone to read both memory or SIM. My carkit (Nokia CK-15W pairs with the phone ok, asks whether I want to transfer the contacts and then says no contacts found. If I copy all my contacts to the phone memory, the CK-15W loads the contacts perfectly. With my N95, it didn't matter if the contacts were on the SIM or not. Any ideas how to solve this? I't not a train smash, but I'd prefer my old way

- New OVI software.... how do I manage my contacts? Could do it easily with old Nokia tools.

- screen protector. I used the one from Invisible Protection, but doesn't seem to work that well. screen loses quite a bit of sensitivity. Is this normal?

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got a rubberised hard black case off ebay for mine and 6 screen protectors.

the first screen protector is still on after a few weeks and working perfectly, but the case as broken within a week, despite not being dropped or man handled. one of the clips on the front part broke off and it wouldn't stay on.

didn't really like it anyways as i kept getting lint under the edges and it was screwing with the touchscreen accuracy.

as for contacts, i keep them on my phone memory, but i picked up a cheap bluetooth dongle and have the nokia suite on my work pc syncing to my outlook over bluetooth, so every contact is automatically backed up and my calendar is sync'd too which is also handy. well right up until someone in the US puts a server patching run in for my team as a meeting in outlook and makes us all required attendees with an alarm going off at 4am gmt on a saturday and fecking wakes me up every weekend! (grrr!)

lol, but that's just my pet peeve. the bluetooth thing is a great idea tho, you can get them for a couple of quid off ebay or 5-10 quid in argos and you never have to worry about losing a contact ever again. i've been through 4 phones so far and with the minor exception of setting up mail4exchange to sync with my work email and it wiping all my contacts from my phone and my PC (had a backup so was able to recover) it's been flawless for the last several years.

oh, and another vote for breaking bad, it's a stunning show. :)

I checked out Breaking Bad and it looks good alright. I'll give it a bash. Thanks.

In other news, I suspect I have a slightly dodgy battery (Nokia original)... I can't seem to charge it properly. Well, I can, but it seems hit & miss.

I charged it on the wall plug (using an old Nokia charger with the N97 dongle) for around 2 hours this evening. The battery bars were rising indicating charging. When I took it off it went dead. Nothing worked at all.

This happened the other day too. I plugged it in using USB and it came on... eventually, but it was showing battery low.

Another time it didn't seem to be charging under USB.

I stopped using the German plug that came with it because that didn't seem to be charging it. I put that down to the converter plug.

I bought a new charger from ebay that's supposed to be for the N97 but that doesn't seem to do anything at all. Grr!

I also got a 'plug socket' with space for the battery in the plug itself, so as to charge a spare battery directly that way. At the moment my Nokia battery is charging on that (red light indicating charging).

How long does it take to fully charge this battery anyway? I've left it on for hours in the last few days with no sign that it's finished or what. (no I don't think it was on long enough to over-charge... not this soon after purchase at least)

I have a spare battery on the way, so I won't know til then if the problem is with the existing battery, cables, the phone itself or just me doing something dumb.

I suspect it's the battery. I kind of hope it's the battery.
    I wonder if fonemenders, Cork will give me a new battery if I bring it into them. My phone came from Germany, as I said before, so if I'm (half) wondering if I should send it all back to there. Then again it's a kind of obscure and hard-to-explain-clearly fault I'd be afraid they'll send it back saying no fault.
    Also, it's all too lovely to part with easily.

Hm. I'm not sure if any of the above makes enough sense for anyone to give a decent response, but if it rings any bells I'd be grateful for any clues.

I suppose I'll wait until the new battery arrives before I can better assess where the problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I checked out Breaking Bad and it looks good alright. I'll give it a bash. Thanks.

In other news, I suspect I have a slightly dodgy battery (Nokia original)... I can't seem to charge it properly. Well, I can, but it seems hit & miss.

I charged it on the wall plug (using an old Nokia charger with the N97 dongle) for around 2 hours this evening. The battery bars were rising indicating charging. When I took it off it went dead. Nothing worked at all.

This happened the other day too. I plugged it in using USB and it came on... eventually, but it was showing battery low.

Another time it didn't seem to be charging under USB.

I stopped using the German plug that came with it because that didn't seem to be charging it. I put that down to the converter plug.

I bought a new charger from ebay that's supposed to be for the N97 but that doesn't seem to do anything at all. Grr!

I also got a 'plug socket' with space for the battery in the plug itself, so as to charge a spare battery directly that way. At the moment my Nokia battery is charging on that (red light indicating charging).

How long does it take to fully charge this battery anyway? I've left it on for hours in the last few days with no sign that it's finished or what. (no I don't think it was on long enough to over-charge... not this soon after purchase at least)

I have a spare battery on the way, so I won't know til then if the problem is with the existing battery, cables, the phone itself or just me doing something dumb.

I suspect it's the battery. I kind of hope it's the battery.
    I wonder if fonemenders, Cork will give me a new battery if I bring it into them. My phone came from Germany, as I said before, so if I'm (half) wondering if I should send it all back to there. Then again it's a kind of obscure and hard-to-explain-clearly fault I'd be afraid they'll send it back saying no fault.
    Also, it's all too lovely to part with easily.

Hm. I'm not sure if any of the above makes enough sense for anyone to give a decent response, but if it rings any bells I'd be grateful for any clues.

I suppose I'll wait until the new battery arrives before I can better assess where the problem lies.

This might be relevant.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10114_How_to_Charge_your_smartphone_.php

long_b wrote: »

That is interesting, thanks.
    I just checked the output on my chargers...

The one that came with my German N97 is 350mA.
    My wife's old Nokia charger is 350mA.
    The one I got from ebay (which doesn't work at all) is 700mA.

Can anyone here with a N97 let me know what's the output rating on the charge that came with it. If it's safe to use one with a 1200mA (as per that link) then I'll be sure to get one of those.

Thanks again long_b. Hope at last. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Can anyone here with a N97 let me know what's the output rating on the charge that came with it

Here's the charger that came with mine (bought in Belfast); as you can see it's a 1200mA charger, and it charges the phone really quickly. I've never timed it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was fully charged in <2 hours

nokian97charger.jpg

Thanks for that. Very handy to know. That's the baby I'm looking for then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

No problem. It's weird that your one came with a 350mA charger; I wonder did Nokia just drop the wrong one in the box!

DOH! Silly me. :o
    In my rush last night I picked up the first 2-prong plug I found and checked the output on that. But it was for my iRiver MP3 player.
    I just found the adapter that came with the N97 and yes it is 1200mA.
    It didn't seem to work right either as I said, though, so I'll try it again and see how it goes.
    I'll still be getting a 3-prong Nokia charger ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Mirrorboy

Any date set for the irish release yet?

Sorry i'm sure this has been asked numerous times!
    Just seen carphone warehouse now have it in the 'Coming Soon' section of their site.

Heard rumours of September, if that is the case I may have to head North for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Has anyone tried the fm transmitter yet? Could you please let us know what its like.
    Cheers.

Works without a problem. Run an mp3 player or anything else, then run the fm transmitter. Painless. Transmit distance is quite short (1m ish) but thats fine by me... Means no interference to nearby cars, etc.
    Not sure if it's just me but audio quality sounds better/ clearer here than with my Tunecast II.
    I wonder if it uses a larger FM frequency range.

One bad thing is you can't plug in the handsfree device while the transmitter is on.

boc121 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the fm transmitter yet? Could you please let us know what its like.
    Cheers.

Worked perfectly for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Thanks for that lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

boc121 wrote: »
    Cheers.
    i tried it, but i have bluetooth in my car stereo so i use that instead and (imho) you get better sound that way, but then i always get crappy radio reception on my stereo so it might just be me.

Sometimes its hard to find a station thats not transmitting anything to give it to work perfectly. Have used it quite a bit since i got it, and it does work fairly good. Saves using a stand alone device with batteries or car charger. Very easy to pass to others in the car to select music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Quick question: Can the N97 play M4B [audiobook] files?

If not, does anyone know of either a player or converter I can get?

NOTE: If this is against the charter, please remove.

Otacon wrote: »
    Quick question: Can the N97 play M4B [audiobook] files?

If not, does anyone know of either a player or converter I can get?

NOTE: If this is against the charter, please remove.

Afaik its not setup for them out of the book, but you could convert the file type using this: tuneclone

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hi
    Are there any suggestions for a good email app for the N97? I don't like the inbuilt Nokia one, and the gmail app is limited. I montor about 8-9 email accts on a daily basis, including Hotmail...SIGH :o:eek:

I've had a look at Profimail and it looks ok, but before I shell out some hard earned cash (Lenihan eat your heart out), I'd like to know if there is better and possibly free out there.

2 real real N00bie questions...what does "push" email mean and how do I get informed when there is a new mail in my inbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nokia messaging ? http://email.nokia.com/account/home.action

Mind you it only gives you email for the last 3 days!

Italia wrote: »
    Hi
    Are there any suggestions for a good email app for the N97? I don't like the inbuilt Nokia one, and the gmail app is limited. I montor about 8-9 email accts on a daily basis, including Hotmail...SIGH :o:eek:

I've had a look at Profimail and it looks ok, but before I shell out some hard earned cash (Lenihan eat your heart out), I'd like to know if there is better and possibly free out there.

2 real real N00bie questions...what does "push" email mean and how do I get informed when there is a new mail in my inbox?

Advertisement