Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Nokia messaging is the biggest load if ****e pushed out by Nokia in recent years. the interface sucks, it sends your password to nokia, all your emails go through their proxy and they plan to make you pay for it soon.

and i'ts not really 'push' either, unless you have a IMAP server that supports push it will be just their servers checking your servers every few minutes. since they are using HTTP for the nokia messaging protocol I doubt it would be much more efficient in data usage than checking the POP3 server directly every couple of minutes. and if ya got IMAP then you might as well use that directly too

My E63 tried to install this crap yesterday when i wanted to set up my email. one of the main reasons I got the E63 over the E75 was the lack of Nokia Messaging.

but there are other email clients out there that connect directly to the server. i think they are commercial though :( still i'd rather pay for a good email client than use the ****ty one for free.

Nokia messaging will eventually be a subscription service you pay for separately through your mobile phone network, separate from data but I really doubt it will be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

towel401 wrote: »
    they plan to make you pay for it soon.

Only for lower cost phones. The likes of qwerty phones that are built for email wont be paying for it, example the e72

Davy wrote: »
    Only for lower cost phones. The likes of qwerty phones that are built for email wont be paying for it, example the e72

meh even if it was free forever i wouldn't want it because of the proxy thing and the way it looks.

i think theres one called profimail or something thats supposed to be good.

nokia are basically trying to copy blackberry and think the best way of doing that is forcing everyone to use a managed, centralised email service

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hmmmm... more confused...:confused::confused:
    Had a look at the Nokia messaging - don't really like the interface and am not interested in giving out my pwd's.
    Anyone tried /used Profimail?
    Still don't understand the "push"technology...

Italia wrote: »
    Had a look at the Nokia messaging - don't really like the interface and am not interested in giving out my pwd's.

well the simplest form of push would be a slightly modified IMAP server that your phone has a constant connection to and sends you the emails as they come

disabling the proxy service and accessing direct might be possible. have a look at this, mind you the interface will still suck

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=messaging&message.id=16911&jump=true#M16911

and also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Italia wrote: »

Using profimail long time and love it.

best bits: Up to 35 emails account support ( good for me)
    Option to transfer licence to another device if you want to change
    Push notification
    Very easy to setup
    Nice UI

My advice don't buy yet, there is always promotion going on, i bought mine for €10, keep checking lonelycatgames.com for that and buy now that will bring you to symbiangear.com and once you see promotion grab it.:)

Lucky you i just checked it and promotion is going on for €11.
    https://www.symbiangear.com/en/eur/device:Nokia_N97/cart.html
    good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

What's the touchscreen like on this phone? I know it's not like an iphone screen. Would it be something similar to a Nintendo DS for example which you can use a stylus with?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Boxfresh wrote: »
    What's the touchscreen like on this phone? I know it's not like an iphone screen. Would it be something similar to a Nintendo DS for example which you can use a stylus with?

Yes. Better than the original DS. More like the DSi or DS Lite for sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

towel401 wrote: »
    Nokia messaging is the biggest load if ****e pushed out by Nokia in recent years. the interface sucks, it sends your password to nokia, all your emails go through their proxy and they plan to make you pay for it soon.

and i'ts not really 'push' either, unless you have a IMAP server that supports push it will be just their servers checking your servers every few minutes. since they are using HTTP for the nokia messaging protocol I doubt it would be much more efficient in data usage than checking the POP3 server directly every couple of minutes. and if ya got IMAP then you might as well use that directly too

My E63 tried to install this crap yesterday when i wanted to set up my email. one of the main reasons I got the E63 over the E75 was the lack of Nokia Messaging.

but there are other email clients out there that connect directly to the server. i think they are commercial though :( still i'd rather pay for a good email client than use the ****ty one for free.

Nokia messaging will eventually be a subscription service you pay for separately through your mobile phone network, separate from data but I really doubt it will be cheaper.
    Did you just copy and paste this rant from another thread cause im almost certain you posted this exact thing before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok debating over choosing this phone or the iphone. Things that are swaying me to this are the photo, radio and seemingly the phone coverage is better on this than an iphone. Also require internet and email

Have seen a few you tube comparrisons between the 2. Not to pushed on the applications as I know iphone has more

Have not seen the N97 yet so cannot compare the 2 myself. Anyone got any honest opinions. If this comparrision has already been done apologies so many threads not enough time to look:rolleyes:

ok debating over choosing this phone or the iphone. Things that are swaying me to this are the photo, radio and seemingly the phone coverage is better on this than an iphone. Also require internet and email

Have seen a few you tube comparrisons between the 2. Not to pushed on the applications as I know iphone has more

Have not seen the N97 yet so cannot compare the 2 myself. Anyone got any honest opinions. If this comparrision has already been done apologies so many threads not enough time to look:rolleyes:

All depends what you want from your phone.
    I have both Iphone and N97 and truly N97 is a Real smartphone.
    better camera, multitasking, bigger battery, Open to 3rd party application, Opera mini browser is just superb, Fm transmitter and few others.

Iphone is good has a nice UI and possible more apps but i hate the battery, no multitasking, No changeable battery, and not possiblity to install 3rd party browser etc.

But at the the end of day It's up to you what you want.

Just received my 8gb Kingston memory card from mymemory.co.uk.
    paid £13.99 including postage and 3 days delivery, ordered on friday. Not bad.
    Now finally i can back up just incase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

anyone know the best place to get a 16gb microsd card for it? seem to be on memoryc for about 55ish... is that reasonable?

SoundWave wrote: »
    anyone know the best place to get a 16gb microsd card for it? seem to be on memoryc for about 55ish... is that reasonable?

try this link.
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC?&filter=16384#memFilter

also don't forget memoryc charge you postage €5.75. if you buy from above link Kingston 16gb would cost you around 42 euro including postage.

sbhatia wrote: »
    All depends what you want from your phone.
    I have both Iphone and N97 and truly N97 is a Real smartphone.
    better camera, multitasking, bigger battery, Open to 3rd party application, Opera mini browser is just superb, Fm transmitter and few others.

Iphone is good has a nice UI and possible more apps but i hate the battery, no multitasking, No changeable battery, and not possiblity to install 3rd party browser etc.

But at the the end of day It's up to you what you want.

Now if I could just test one of these N97 phones I could make this choice all seems to be pointing towards August sometime when they come to Ireland but I want one now :mad:(throws toys from pram)

Its leaning towards the N97 alright

In Madrid and London soon so somebody has to have one over there

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Out on 02 first week of August... from 379.99 on prepay!

Now if I could just test one of these N97 phones I could make this choice all seems to be pointing towards August sometime when they come to Ireland but I want one now :mad:(throws toys from pram)

Its leaning towards the N97 alright

In Madrid and London soon so somebody has to have one over there

Thanks

Well now you can test.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technology_Topics/Application_Quality/Testing/Remote_Device_Access/

that lets you test and play with phone, just book a session and there you go.

and if you like it you can always grab it from Newry.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

gpf101 wrote: »
    got a source for this?

Where did you hear this ?

Any news on how much on Speak Easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 XY

Where did you hear this ?

Any news on how much on Speak Easy

its on the O2 forum ... from 379.99 speakeasy
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4195&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I wonder if it'll be locked down/apps removed in any way.. Decent prices by the sound of it though.

And €199 on bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

can they be unlocked yet?

thats where im buying mine if so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lots of websites claiming to be able to, but i wouldn't trust any of them personally. there seems to be a lot fo internet trickery promising that kind of thing recently that's just basically a con.

if you can find somewhere that claims to do it and accepts paypal then maybe give it a shot and if it doesn't work then it's easy enough to yank the payment, but i wouldn't be giving out credit card info to any of these places as they don't look on the up and up imho.

Cyrus wrote: »
    can they be unlocked yet?

thats where im buying mine if so :pac:

Buy it simfree.....................................!

Davy wrote: »
    Buy it simfree.....................................!

for 379 euro, hardly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

Yeah worth it for sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Unless it's a crippled version that o2 release, I can't see how it would be worth buying it sim-free for possibly more than double the price if you didn't have plans to move network inside the next year. Most people don't move network.

• Advertisement

Greentrees wrote: »
    Yeah worth it for sim free

if it can be unlocked (which is likely given that e66, 5800 etc are) how is it worth it?

Advertisement