Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

thanks for that,like im looking more toward buying the iphone 32gig,its enough memory but the price is crazy for it and the battery is apparently terrible on it

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Dropped mine for the first time last week.....no marks or scratches though thank God.....
    Only thing is, that when I open the screen to reveal the keyboard, the bottom of the screen is kinda wobbly and can be moved slightly whereas the top part is solid.
    Cant for the life of me remember if it was always like this or not lol & its driving me demented!!
    Have looked it up online & some ppl reporting this on theirs with someone stating they thought it was because theres 2 support hinges for the screen at the top whereas only 1 at the bottom....anyone here experience this?

Half thinking of hittin my local service point to see if the bottom hinge can be tightened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Can you charge it over USB while the phone is off?

Battery died on me so i tried to charge it over usb and the small white light comes on but the phone wont turn on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I currently have a N95 8GB with Vodafone.
    Called into Carphone Warehouse yesterday.
    Told me that if I signed up to O2's Clear 350 package, I would get the new N97 for 349Euro, and if I gave them my working N95 GB, I would get 100Euro off. That's a new N97 for 249Euro.
    Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

dilallio wrote: »
    I currently have a N95 8GB with Vodafone.
    Called into Carphone Warehouse yesterday.
    Told me that if I signed up to O2's Clear 350 package, I would get the new N97 for 349Euro, and if I gave them my working N95 GB, I would get 100Euro off. That's a new N97 for 249Euro.
    Happy days :D

do you want to sell your N95 8gb to me? I will pay you 100 euro if its in good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

irlmarc wrote: »
    Can you charge it over USB while the phone is off?

Battery died on me so i tried to charge it over usb and the small white light comes on but the phone wont turn on?

If the white light is on just leave it like that for a while. It can take 10 minutes or so before there's enough power in it to come back to life.

The plug in charger that comes with it is a lot quicker than usb, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Dropped mine for the first time last week.....no marks or scratches though thank God.....
    Only thing is, that when I open the screen to reveal the keyboard, the bottom of the screen is kinda wobbly and can be moved slightly whereas the top part is solid.
    Cant for the life of me remember if it was always like this or not lol & its driving me demented!!
    Have looked it up online & some ppl reporting this on theirs with someone stating they thought it was because theres 2 support hinges for the screen at the top whereas only 1 at the bottom....anyone here experience this?

Half thinking of hittin my local service point to see if the bottom hinge can be tightened

I noticed a little give on mine out of the box, so id say yours was the same. Now if yours is worse now its kinda hard to tell... slightly to the left of the keylock button is the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

To the left of the keylock?
    Cant say ive experienced anything near there....my issue is mainly with the support hinge that pops up to support the bottom end (green/red button end) of the screen when I pop it out

Not a big deal really anyway....especially when ppl seem to be havin far more serious issues with theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Hi all. In bangkok at the weekend and thinking of picking up one of these beauts for around 400 euro. Could someone kindly tell me if this is a bad move or good move. And what disadvantages will i have. Any comment appreciated.

Hi all. In bangkok at the weekend and thinking of picking up one of these beauts for around 400 euro. Could someone kindly tell me if this is a bad move or good move. And what disadvantages will i have. Any comment appreciated.

I think it's a good move, i will do it same if i was you. the only disadvanage is prob language but can easily be sort with change of product code, you might have to buy new charger though.

Just make sure it's the real one as lots of fake one aare around.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

plus your warranty will not be valid as its outside the EU

(i could be wrong on this so please dont take it as gospel)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

You can buy N97 sim Free at pixmania.ie for €550 incl Vat, anyone found it any cheaper sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

splinter wrote: »
    plus your warranty will not be valid as its outside the EU

(i could be wrong on this so please dont take it as gospel)

Your not wrong, its a European wide warranty when bought here, buy outside the eu well its not covered here, unless you want to fly back to where you bought it. Some will allow you post it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

More N97 Mini details from mobile-review
    http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/08/04/nokia-n97-mini-its-real-and-weve-got-some-details/

This could be interesting with regard to pricing?
    I'm not interested in a mini version, I think the N97 size is great as it is.....for my and my big hands anyway
    But if Vodafone got this and had it at a lower price than O2 had the N97 at then maybe O2 would need to look at their prices, which I still believe are too high for a phone in present times.
    The N97 is aimed at people who love their phones/gadgets, I think the mini would hit a bigger audience due to size/lower price.
    Good move by Nokia, good move by vodafone if they get it, bad for O2 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

The plug in charger that comes with it is a lot quicker than usb, obviously.
    yup, the regular micro usb cable is a trickle charger at best, don't go thinking it'll charge your phone the same speed as the plug in charger will, it only charges at about 1/10th the speed. well, maybe 1/5th, but it's still dog slow.

seems like a good deal, but only for 24 hours and I'm not sure how many hours are left as it's a US site.

http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_symbian/

quickoffice_symbian_banner.jpg

not a bad price at all to have the option of editing your office files on your n97 (or 5800) imho.

it's almost a shame to have all that power, big screen and keyboard and not be able to make the most of it, so i'm sure it'll be a good deal for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Vodafone store in Blanch say late september, but haven't heard anything or else can't confirm/deny the mini's arrival...

Asking myself should I buy simfree and stick with VF or just switch to 02? anyone else in same boat? bills coming in around 80 each month on VF200 with text pack and getting about 40-50 in free VF-VF calls each month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Otacon wrote: »
    Quick question: Can the N97 play M4B [audiobook] files?

If not, does anyone know of either a player or converter I can get?

NOTE: If this is against the charter, please remove.

OK, quick update this time.

It seems the N97 can play M4B files out of the box. The RealPlayer install that comes with the N97 can indeed play M4B files.

However, there are some issues. One problem is the fact that it does not save the place you are in when playing. You need to remember what time you stopped it at last, or leave RealPlayer running and the file playback paused.

Also, the first time I ran it, a 'Memory Full' message popped up. Hasn't popped up since but I thought I would warn people.

With that done, are there any good e-book readers out there for the N97?

sbhatia wrote: »
    they still need to catch up on the web browsing experience quite a bit with what other phones have to offer.

i have no idea why they did that home screen widget slide to show/hide thing and then didn't implement the same thing in the browser for going backwards and forward in web pages. a great idea totally wasted on something nobody is ever likely to use imho. :(

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    they still need to catch up on the web browsing experience quite a bit with what other phones have to offer.

i have no idea why they did that home screen widget slide to show/hide thing and then didn't implement the same thing in the browser for going backwards and forward in web pages. a great idea totally wasted on something nobody is ever likely to use imho. :(

To tell You truth i never use Inbuilt websbrowser , i have 250mb data addon and Browser use data a lot, i always use Opera mini and that serve the purpose, rumour has it Opera Mini 5 is coming with Multi tab feature and that willl be great.

Try this http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_5th/descriptions/internet/digia_announces_web_finger_friendly_browser_for_5th_ed.htm
    You might like this as it's new browser for S60 5th and have some promising feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Looks like its available now on 02.ie
    Wonder if its in the shops yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

There a Blank demo version in Carphonewarehouse in Blanch..
    prices are from 349 02 bill pay and 550 prepay , they hope to have them in stock next week,

BTW they offer a Trade in on your OLD fone, i have a N95 8GB in great nick that they SAY they will give me trade in for 100euro....

Iam on VF...
    i dropped into them and they said
    " we don't have it, and don't know when we will either"

Great Info VODAFONE!!!!!!!

cramp wrote: »

Great Info VODAFONE!!!!!!!

Yeah i know they're all the same:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

boc121 wrote: »
    Looks like its available now on 02.ie
    Wonder if its in the shops yet?

There were 2 in city centre store earlier - I can't say where I'm afraid cos I work in it :P

They'll be rolling them out to all the stores in the immediate future.

Prepay is €549, billpay starts at €399.

€529 prepay with €5 for existing customers thats unreal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's an expensive phone, what do you expect? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i really want to get this phone. in CPW b'rock today... getting it in over the next week aparrently. i was told by grafton street that all carriers will offer them from this week but b'rock said only o2 and 3 will.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote: »
    It's an expensive phone, what do you expect? :)

I'd expect to at least get the €50 that new customers get:P

Advertisement