Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

boc121 wrote: »
    I'd expect to at least get the €50 that new customers get:P

You only get that if you port from another network.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

indeed, the whole point is, it's an incentive for new customers to switch. if you're an existing customer they already have you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

vibe666 wrote: »
    indeed, the whole point is, it's an incentive for new customers to switch. if you're an existing customer they already have you. :)

Exactly!
    Even if you say you're going to leave they don't give a sh*t, I tried to pull that one last year when my contract was up, but they weren't budging Grrrrrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

With o2,
    If you get it on the net you get a free gift with the O2 Clear 350.
    Choices,

Free O2 to O2 Calls - Get free unlimited anytime O2 to O2 voice minutes can be used for calls made to O2 Ireland mobile numbers and voicemail

Free Any Network Texts - Get free unlimited anytime any network texts to all Irish mobile numbers

Free Anytime Landline Calls - Get free unlimited anytime calls to Irish landlines, and for customers with international calling on their account you get free unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines too!

Free 500 MB Mobile Internet - Get free browsing on your mobile up to 500 MB per month

Free Any Network Evening and Weekend Calls - Get free unlimited evening and weekend calls made to any Irish mobile or landline between the hours of 6pm to 8am Monday to Friday, and from 6pm on Friday to 8am Monday.

I recon it would have to be either one of the bottom two.

padair wrote: »
    With o2,
    If you get it on the net you get a free gift with the O2 Clear 350.
    Choices,

Free O2 to O2 Calls - Get free unlimited anytime O2 to O2 voice minutes can be used for calls made to O2 Ireland mobile numbers and voicemail

Free Any Network Texts - Get free unlimited anytime any network texts to all Irish mobile numbers

Free Anytime Landline Calls - Get free unlimited anytime calls to Irish landlines, and for customers with international calling on their account you get free unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines too!

Free 500 MB Mobile Internet - Get free browsing on your mobile up to 500 MB per month

Free Any Network Evening and Weekend Calls - Get free unlimited evening and weekend calls made to any Irish mobile or landline between the hours of 6pm to 8am Monday to Friday, and from 6pm on Friday to 8am Monday.

I recon it would have to be either one of the bottom two.

Got mine :D:D
    Got it in O2 on grafton street, last one in the city afaik.
    The shops on henry st all had none left, they went this morning.

The "free" gift padair is talking about in not only for buying online, you can get it in the shops too. I got the 500mb data obviously, only problem is it doesn't start until my next billing date, so i'll be only using wifi till then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

CPW customer service say only 4 stores with stock currently, but 17 stores have stock currently in transit.
    Stores with stock at the moment apparently are in Blackrock, Wexford, Northside (shopping centre?)and Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

going to spain soon,does anybody know how to turn off all the features that normally hook up to the net ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I got a hold of this via a display model in CPW swords today. I can't believe how small it is! The keys are tiny. Every video I have watched made it look a lot bigger. It was a really nice, sturdy, well built phone.

Despite S60's old age and the phone's obvious flaws, I am now seriously considering this. But the price will have to drop, because for what it's offering, it's far too expensive.

Edit: Is it really that small or is it the display models?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

going to spain soon,does anybody know how to turn off all the features that normally hook up to the net ?

First remove all widget from Home screen, such as accuweather, reuters, bloomberg, facebook etc.
    Only use Contact, shortcut etc.
    Then if you have apps such as World traveller, worldmate, i will advise you to delete them if you don't want nasty surprise, because i have seen few times even you setup manual update it still decide to go online without permission.
    Next Setting -> Connectivity -> admin setting and set packet data to when needed.
    NOkia maps asks you to go online when you start just say no, or set the roaming warning off in setting.
    That's all i can think of at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Got a customer care from VF today....wasn't expecting it..

asking was everything ok.... i had few high bills lately and they gave me rental credit...much thanks VF..

Anyway i unloaded my thoughts about them not having a N97 or a date for it and all the other Networks had dates or have them in stock...

Same story.....

don't know when we are getting them, and there is a number of people enquiring!!!!

• Advertisement

Well I've been playing around with it all day, Very Happy with it so far :)

There's no bloatware on the O2 version, well nothing that you simfree merchants hadn't got. Thats was a relief :)

The firmware is 10.0.012 RM-505 and as expected there is no update available yet on the NSU. I want to update it but I'm not willing to risk a brick ;) I've seen whats happening to the UK Voda version so I'll wait until some other guinea pig does it first with an Irish O2 one :)

I've had a good few occasions where the unlock switch hasn't worked, really it actually always works but looks like it hasn't as the backlight doesn't come on.

The opera mini icon and gmail icon are driving me NUTS!! they look SH*TE, I've found a site where some dude made nice new icons for them and said to put them in the jar (using winrar) but I would have thought that would make them unsigned, so I couldn't install them?
    Cabbage icon is also a bit pixely :(

Setting Opera Mini's access point is a real pain in the ass, it may even make me use the original n97 browser!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

ooooooooooooh have to get this over the weekend, have i anyhope in the Dundrum o2 store?

:D:D:D:D:D

lafors wrote: »

The opera mini icon and gmail icon are driving me NUTS!! they look SH*TE, I've found a site where some dude made nice new icons for them and said to put them in the jar (using winrar) but I would have thought that would make them unsigned, so I couldn't install them?

Setting Opera Mini's access point is a real pain in the ass, it may even make me use the original n97 browser!!

I have a Great looking Opera Mini icon on my N97, Go to www.mini.opera.com from your browser and then it should show your phone as N97 then click on Install previous version and that will bring you to all the language option, install Ireland Multi certificate from there and there you go.

For Access Point go to application manager -> opera Mini -> option -> In the network acess set it from there,
    Always allowed - will always connect without confirming giving the Wlan Priority.

Ask every Time. Will ask you every time.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Can someone tell me how to delete the entire inbox without doing it one by one.

Thx

redout wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how to delete the entire inbox without doing it one by one.

Thx

Go to Inbox-> Option-> Mark all-> Options -> delete.

Anyone know of any Irish news homescreen widgets or a Sky news or BBC one ?

So is everyone here happy with their N97? Would you all recommend it? I'm coming from an iPhone 2G....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i went to get one this morning, but my application was declined. meteor billpay for years and never a problem. just moved recently so suspect that is why, there scoring is done internally on their on system, not with the ICB or anything so i was quite confused till i called customer care.

raging, so annoyed and disappointed but i'm not gonna fight o2 or ask them permission and beg them to allow me to give them my money!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

come on meteor.

Anyone know how to get Windows live messenger on a N97. I have a bootleg chinese version working but most of its in chinese go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

lafors wrote: »
    Well I've been playing around with it all day, Very Happy with it so far :)

There's no bloatware on the O2 version, well nothing that you simfree merchants hadn't got. Thats was a relief :)

The firmware is 10.0.012 RM-505 and as expected there is no update available yet on the NSU. I want to update it but I'm not willing to risk a brick ;) I've seen whats happening to the UK Voda version so I'll wait until some other guinea pig does it first with an Irish O2 one :)

I've had a good few occasions where the unlock switch hasn't worked, really it actually always works but looks like it hasn't as the backlight doesn't come on.

It's highly frustrating being stuck on this buggy firmware and not being able to update. What is the story with the new firmware not showing up on NSU? I'd a lot of hassle getting NSU working in the first place, and usb issues! Annoying!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Anyone know how to get Windows live messenger on a N97. I have a bootleg chinese version working but most of its in chinese go figure!

Good question :)

try download Slick from lonelycatgames.com, its free and have Msn and lots of other protocols.

I heard of another one called nimbuzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Elessar wrote: »
    I heard of another one called nimbuzz?
    Theres also Fring, use that myself (on the poor mans N97, the 5800 :)) and have found it very good.

(on the poor mans N97, the 5800 :))
    lol good one, yeah fring also works gr8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Johndman

sbhatia wrote: »

Some of the guys over at symbianfreak are working on a patch at the moment i have just heard that will hopefully work with another application to give the same scrolling.

I have my N97 nearly 2 months now and i am so happy,i was luckily the first person in the republic to have the device.Have the White Uk version,love it to pieces.Latest firmware and hacked to perfection.

If anyone has any questions about anything feel free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Johndman

http://symbianworld.org/s60-5th-edition-freeware-downloads-for-nokia-5800-n97

Lots of freeware applications on there,thought i would share it.

Also for those who have hacked n97s,check out biggies patches,the camera patch is brilliant.I ran it today and the quality is greatly improved for close up pictures with alot of detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

thanks
    sbhatia wrote: »
    First remove all widget from Home screen, such as accuweather, reuters, bloomberg, facebook etc.
    Only use Contact, shortcut etc.
    Then if you have apps such as World traveller, worldmate, i will advise you to delete them if you don't want nasty surprise, because i have seen few times even you setup manual update it still decide to go online without permission.
    Next Setting -> Connectivity -> admin setting and set packet data to when needed.
    NOkia maps asks you to go online when you start just say no, or set the roaming warning off in setting.
    That's all i can think of at the moment.

• Advertisement

When you say you "hacked it" what do you mean?

Advertisement