Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

sbhatia wrote: »
    Yes you are defo being charged for that, Why not have a data add-on of 250 mb?
    If you say hotmail then what app you use that for? Nokia messaging, profimail etc.
    Sounds like you have push notification on, turn that off and set it to manual so you can check it whenever you want.

Im using the 'email' one in the applications folder!

Where would i find Push Activation to turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

No idea, i don't use that all, Try this go to messaging->option->setting-> email and see if anything is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Open the email app > options > tools > settings > when to sync > then select times and days you want it to sync

sbhatia wrote: »
    Then you are not the 1st in the republic to have this ph.
    I think vibe got his on 18th and i got on 19th. If you go through this thread you will see.

Possible the first with the white version

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Davy wrote: »
    Possible the first with the white version
    i think we might have scared him off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Johndman

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think we might have scared him off. :)

no no not scared off at all,do you guys not have the white version,i thought that was the story the whole time.Ah im not so disapointed anymore so.

Also whoever was asking about a virtual qwerty,here is the application.
    VirtualKeyBoard 0.9.4 Mod 
    This install package is unsigned, so if you wish to install it, you must first sign it or hack your phone. 

NEW: V_K v2 English Skin 
    Updates: 
    * Full Screen Keyboard 
    * Mini Keyboard 
    * Keyboard layouts match the [URL="http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34728#"]Nokia[IMG]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif[/IMG][/URL] 5800 Default Keyboard 
    * smaller menu 
    * smaller V_K icon placed further to right 
    * ability to minimize/maximize keyboard, with [+] icon. 

What is VirtualKeyBoard? 
    For those who have not seen the previous posts for VirtualKeyBoard, it is an alternative to the default Nokia 5800 keyboard, to increase compatibility with older s60v3 software where the Nokia 5800 keyboard does not work, including software such as Quickoffice 6. 

In this modified version, there is a new keyboard layout based on the original Nokia 5800 Default Keyboard, as well as a larger QWERTY keyboard for usability. The Keyboards are completely movable by simply clicking on the keyboard and dragging. 

Installation Instructions: 
    1. Uninstall all previous versions of VirtualKeyBoard before proceeding. 
    2. Install new version. 
    3. Change skin to V_K v2 (english) 

Credits go to: 
    * wolf800 - creator of WFVirtualKey 
    * Luka_Sv - the original V_K skin 
    * unknown russian people - creating a tutorial on how to modify the skin 
    * dragonuk - translating the russian V_K skin to english 

http://rapidshare.com/files/243366821/WFvirtualKeyboard_0.9.4.mod.rar

To be honest i would just wait until the next update,that app isnt that good at all.

version 12.0.023 is soon to be released:

captureyhh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

just wondering.

i just hacked my n97 to install unsigned apps. anyone know where i can get some decent apps for it, obviously unsigned ones aswell.

any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Thor wrote: »
    just wondering.

i just hacked my n97 to install unsigned apps. anyone know where i can get some decent apps for it, obviously unsigned ones aswell.

any help would be great.

Go to Ipmart-forum.com and go for symbian s60 v5 forum.

try handy shell, handy weather, advance device lock, msdict, ultimate voice recorder, foreca weather. they are just really great.
    Also installed Ndrive naviagtion last night and it's allright for nothing.:)

Ps: welcome to world of hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

Where can you get your hands on one. I have been looking in carphonewarehouse and vodafone shops but good. Do you have to order them ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Hey guys, thinking about getting one of these, where would be the best place to buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

really annoying that the stock levels are so low in the o2 stores. kind of stuck without one grrrrrrrr. anyone know any stores that have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

Thor wrote: »
    just wondering.

any help would be great.

How do you hack it????????/

Just got my N97 2day and am havin a huge problem with my contacts. the phone refuses to recognise the names in texts but when ppl ring its grand says the name and all!!!!! any help?? PLEASE it's wrecking my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

not sure about the problem you are having with your contacts.

but to hack it there is a few different ways.

The easiest would be to get hellox2 and install it.

only problem is to sign it you can pay them 5 dollars or sign it yourself.

you need your .cer and .key to sign sis fils yourself.

you can get them at opda.

http://www.nokiaphoneblog.com/?p=2366

there is a quick tutorial on doing all of that(getting your .cer and .key, signing hellox2 installing it and all.

if you have any trouble just ask and i will help you true the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Lads i'm just wondering what the deal with the 'O2 packet data' is!

i have my admin settings for it switched to 'when needed' but it keeps switching on randomally and i have to hold down the call cancel key to end the packet data off everytime i notice its on!

i figured out that it switches on when i get an email in my hotmail inbox and my phone makes a sound indicating i have an email! (all email and facebook widgets are off my homescreen)

So im just wondering how do i switch it off completely for good because im afraid im being charged every time it switches on!

Am i being charged for it!?

Thanks!

If you have widgets on the main screen which will communicate using packet data, they may switch on your packet data periodically.
    If you will be travelling abroad, you should remove them from the main screen, as O2 will charge you €4.98 per MB for the first 4 MB. You could be hit with a €20 per day charge without ever having knowingly used your N97 for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

dilallio wrote: »
    If you have widgets on the main screen which will communicate using packet data, they may switch on your packet data periodically.
    If you will be travelling abroad, you should remove them from the main screen, as O2 will charge you €4.98 per MB for the first 4 MB. You could be hit with a €20 per day charge without ever having knowingly used your N97 for data.

Sorted it out the other day cheers!

Just set the widgets access point to my wireless instead of the O2 packet data and it only comes on now when im near my wireless not charging me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the most common cause of that contacts issue is having more than one copy of the persons number in your contacts.

if you have a lot of contacts and they're not in what could be considered an organised fashion, just do what I did.

there's several ways to optimise your contacts, but a couple of good ones are to use the nokia software suite to sync your mobile contacts to your outlook contacts and then either edit them manually there or use a contact manager like plaxo to remove/merge duplicates or you could export your outlook contacts to a csv file and manually edit them there using excel and then re-import that file and syncit back to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

Three store quoted me august 31 this morning, apparently they were only told that this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi,

Cant read messages on my N97. Inbox wont open and "Memory full.Close some apps and try again" keeps appearing. I have closed all the apps on the homescreen and still nothing. Anyone help ?

redout wrote: »
    Hi,

Cant read messages on my N97. Inbox wont open and "Memory full.Close some apps and try again" keeps appearing. I have closed all the apps on the homescreen and still nothing. Anyone help ?

Have you tried a simple restart of the handset?

Have you upgraded to the phone memory update yet? You can do it in the software app in the applications folder.

Have you tried a simple restart of the handset?

Have you upgraded to the phone memory update yet? You can do it in the software app in the applications folder.

It seems to have just started working again. I have now deleted the whole inbox. Very disappointed it will only store 50 odd messages before saying full. Anyway to increase that ?

• Advertisement

It seems to have just started working again. I have now deleted the whole inbox. Very disappointed it will only store 50 odd messages before saying full. Anyway to increase that ?

Messaging folder > options > settings > other > then increase to the number you want.

This is for sent texts, the revived save until it fills the memory iirc

Got the contacts sorted out sound lads :D

I'm unfortunately on v10 software and it says there's no update available on the handset :(:(

Is there another way to get v11 or even if v12 is out yet to get that?!

Anybody have links for free games btw?

Nialloo24 wrote: »
    Got the contacts sorted out sound lads :D

I'm unfortunately on v10 software and it says there's no update available on the handset :(:(

Is there another way to get v11 or even if v12 is out yet to get that?!

V12 should be out at the end of the month.#

You can change to v11 by changing your product code using something like nss. I have posted a step by step guide many times a quick search will find it for you if you need more help.

Messaging folder > options > settings > other > then increase to the number you want.

This is for sent texts, the revived save until it fills the memory iirc

I dont think it was the sent messages that were taking up the memory because I had none saved at the time.

V12 should be out at the end of the month.#

You can change to v11 by changing your product code using something like nss. I have posted a step by step guide many times a quick search will find it for you if you need more help.

Sound man tanx. is v12 an over the air update?

any links to any quirky kind of apps?

Nialloo24 wrote: »
    Sound man tanx. is v12 an over the air update?

any links to any quirky kind of apps?

V12 will be over air and via pc suite. What kind of apps are you looking for? A good start for function apps here: link

I dont think it was the sent messages that were taking up the memory because I had none saved at the time.

Have you a memory problem in general? Check the c:memory by going to applications folder > office > file manager and see what it says.

Have you updated the c memory update like i said?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

It uses the small C: for memory so if you have too many apps installed on there (and it comes with too many on IMO) you should remove them and reinstall on the 32GB drive if you need them.

How big is that 'drive' anyway? I had around 5MB free when I got it. I soon used that and got the memory full message. I'm back now to around 6MB free, but it seems silly that anything installs to that drive anyway. I can't see what else I could remove, but 6MB is hardly ideal.

It uses the small C: for memory so if you have too many apps installed on there (and it comes with too many on IMO) you should remove them and reinstall on the 32GB drive if you need them.

How big is that 'drive' anyway? I had around 5MB free when I got it. I soon used that and got the memory full message. I'm back now to around 6MB free, but it seems silly that anything installs to that drive anyway. I can't see what else I could remove, but 6MB is hardly ideal.

The c is 128mb. You can un-install the installed apps and move them to E:mass memory. Also the update for the C phone memory made an improvement.

Have you a memory problem in general? Check the c:memory by going to applications folder > office > file manager and see what it says.

Have you updated the c memory update like i said?

I just done the update.

It says 34mb free on C and 29gb on E

• Advertisement

I just done the update.

It says 34mb free on C and 29gb on E

Did you check what it was before? You shouldn't have a problem now storing messages.

Advertisement