Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

Davy wrote: »
    V12 will be over air and via pc suite. What kind of apps are you looking for? A good start for function apps here: link

Mine is o2 branded one now will that delay me getting the update??

am lokking for games and kinda entertaining apps like some off the ones from iphone!

tanx man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Did you check what it was before? You shouldn't have a problem now storing messages.

Just remembered now that there was about 10 Bluetooth files which were there and could have taken up a chunk of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nialloo24 wrote: »
    Mine is o2 branded one now will that delay me getting the update??

am lokking for games and kinda entertaining apps like some off the ones from iphone!

tanx man

Well you can change your product code on the phone, so you will get the latest update. Officially changing a product code does void warranty but it can be changed back after the update, and i have never heard of problems of warranty after changing it.

Apps:

Keylockclock is one i like. Just google and you will find it to download.
    Speedtouch is a game, quite basic but can pass the time and kinda addictive.
    You can get a 'level' app for the n97 for all diy needs just like the one on the iphone.
    You can get a compass app if any use to you.

Well you can change your product code on the phone, so you will get the latest update. Officially changing a product code does void warranty but it can be changed back after the update, and i have never heard of problems of warranty after changing it.

Apps:

Keylockclock is one i like. Just google and you will find it to download.
    Speedtouch is a game, quite basic but can pass the time and kinda addictive.
    You can get a 'level' app for the n97 for all diy needs just like the one on the iphone.
    You can get a compass app if any use to you.

Would be afraid of brickin the phone tho!!

its an epic phone well worth the price tag! any tips or tricks for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

any tips or tricks for it?

I've been keeping the camera lens hatch open the last few days. I have a scratch in the glass in between the lens and the flash. It looks like only a matter of time before one develops across the lens itself. Very poor. It's not like I've used it every day.

(Just signed the petition).

Another tip is to get Smartmovie (22euros) to allow you to view avi files direct, if you're interested. That saved me a lot of bother -and it's a much better video viewer than the one that comes with the N97.

• Advertisement

Would be afraid of brickin the phone tho!!

its an epic phone well worth the price tag! any tips or tricks for it?

Ok i can understand that. Im sure they will have it, since they have just launched the phone it might take a little while. Use the software app in the applications folder to check for updates to the phone every so often.

If you want to set aside an hour and read this megathread you want get a lot of info on the phone.

Get a good screen protector. Case is a good way to protect also. I posted a link for a very cheap option from ebay, it was only €2 delivered and im still using it and find it ok. Its not perfect quality, think vibe's front broke.

Set your network destinations correctly for so uses wifi as priority 1 rather then network data.

Un-installing apps from C and moving to E is a good option to free up C:memory.

The top right corner can be clicked to show various scenarios. Like messages, alarms, bluetooth, usb connection etc. Then when you click it will bring you to the relevant settings.

I've been keeping the camera lens hatch open the last few days. I have a scratch in the glass in between the lens and the flash. It looks like only a matter of time before one develops across the lens itself. Very poor. It's not like I've used it every day.

Another tip is to get Smartmovie (22euros) to allow you to view avi files direct, if you're interested. That saved me a lot of bother -and it's a much better video viewer than the one that comes with the N97.

Will that player jus allow me load on my videos from my laptop and play with ease yeh?! soory bout the questions

Yeah i may read through here ye seem to know yer stuff alright fair play lads.

yeh i ordered that case alri terrified bout this common problem of damaging the lens on the camera because its act a decent camera to!

tanx again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Will that player jus allow me load on my videos from my laptop and play with ease yeh?! soory bout the questions

Depends on the format. Smartmovie supports more formats (eg. standard AVI) than the player that comes with it, but not necessarily all.
    I don't download a lot, but the few TV episodes I did download so far all played without any conversions... except series 3 of 'Penn & Teller Bull****' doesn't have any sound on the N97 even though they do on my PC. I think I'll have to try converting something to something.
    Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Mine seems to crash quite a bit..

I'd hang up from a call to see that the screen showing who was calling is still flashing then it won't go away..

I try to load google from the pre packed bookmarks, it starts up then shuts down and returns to the applications screen..

It tells me to use the screen unlock button from time to time, then it won't do anything except vibrate when you try to unlock..

Is there a flash download for movies available for it?

Having a hard time adapting to the keyboard....I REALLY want to slide it open like my old n95!

I really love it, but I reckon it makes you go the long and clumsy way around for simple things, to me the n95 was more useable... hopefully future software will fix that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

redout wrote: »
    Just remembered now that there was about 10 Bluetooth files which were there and could have taken up a chunk of space.
    i had a problem like that on my inbox. if i was going to it from the hard menu key (the one actual button the phone) then it would freeze like the inbox wasn't there, but if i ran my thumb up and down the screen once, as i passed each mailbox button on screen it would appear. very weird, but a factory reset fixed it and it's been fine since.

just a note for anyone using WIDCOMM bluetooth dongles, there appears to be some kind of incompatibility with the n97 that causes intermittent connectivity issues when syncing your phone.

rumour has it that adding the BT dongles hardware ID (found in it's properties in device manager) into the microsoft bluetooth stack cfg file will allow it to work with the windows BT drivers as soon as you plug it in, rather than needing to install the WIDCOMM BT drivers, which shoudl get around the problem (hopefully).

they are quite a common 'el cheapo' BT dongle to have, you get them off ebay and in argos etc. so just be aware there is an issue.

my problem is, i installed the WIDCOMM drivers before I got the phone (worked fine on my n95) and they were a bit of a canuit to uninstall (despite what I read on the net) and i ended up completely borking my PC and having to spend about 4 hours repairing windows afterwards after cocking the whole thing up. :mad:

anyway, my widcomm drivers just won't go away, so maybe it's time to stick win7 on the box at work and see how that goes.

i did actually get one of the three dongles I have (all poxy widcomm ones! grrr!!!) working with the MS BT Stack, but i think still having the widcomm drivers in there to some degree is still causing problems.

if you want to give it a go, there's a guide here that tells you the basics of getting a widcomm based BT dongle working with the default MS BT stack instead of the widcomm ones and it's not too hard at all to do: http://www.shootingsoftware.com/Widcomm.htm (assuming you didn't already install the widcomm drivers and can't get rid of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Johndman

Its a disgrace about the scratches i have them aswel.But all is solved check this out.

001eva.jpg

002vnq.jpg
    003rlt.jpg

004qgp.jpg
    005pxu.jpg

is anyone using the eircom wep generator?the link doesnt work anymore and i need it

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Johndman wrote: »
    Its a disgrace about the scratches i have them aswel.But all is solved check this out.

If your screen is already ruined (like mine, noticable mostly when you take pictures with the flash as the left side of the picture is dimmed by the flash light) take it to a nokia care centre (I took mine to fonemenders in Sandyford), I rang the other day and they said that the repair is covered by warranty, I am waiting for the part to arrive.

I have emailed nokia a few times about this issue (among others), the first reply I got from them (and only so far) was to reinstall the phone software (imrpessive skills), I obviously I replied to that asking how will that help and so far I havent got a single reply. Must say that their customer service is one of the worst I have seen (and I have seen a lot), probably the worst after paypals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Is this issue happening to everyone? I haven't managed to scratch mine yet!

is anyone using the eircom wep generator?the link doesnt work anymore and i need it
    asking where to find software who's exclusive use is to break into wifi networks is probably a good way to get banned. or at the very least, get a good telling off. ;)

you have to remember this is a public forum hosted in Ireland and as such the admins have to be very careful about what they allow on the site.

i can also tell you that as someone who quite often ends up fixing PC problems for people with eircom routers that part of my preventitive maintenance would be to leave the format of the SSID the same but change a couple of the numbers in the SSID of their router if they have a vulnerable WEP key.

this does two things. firstly it removes their vulnerability to the key hack and secondly it wastes the time of people trying to use it against their router as it looks like it could still be vulnerable but they won't find out till they try and break into it and fail. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    asking where to find software who's exclusive use is to break into wifi networks is probably a good way to get banned. or at the very least, get a good telling off. ;)

Thanks for that useless piece of info that i didnt require,had the application on my n95 worked no problem and kept me happy, i highly doubt i will get banned or a telling off,seems its posted here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59777565&postcount=29

[SNIP/]

The link is down so if anyone could reupload it.I would appreciatte it alot

Praetor wrote: »
    If your screen is already ruined (like mine, noticable mostly when you take pictures with the flash as the left side of the picture is dimmed by the flash light) take it to a nokia care centre (I took mine to fonemenders in Sandyford), I rang the other day and they said that the repair is covered by warranty, I am waiting for the part to arrive.
    The problem witth the flash is that its reflecting off your finger and causing a kind of fog along the left hand side of pictures?unless you have a hardware problem i havent seen before

How do you mean your screen is ruined?you mean there is scratches on the lenses or what?

The problem witth the flash is that its reflecting off your finger and causing a kind of fog along the left hand side of pictures?unless you have a hardware problem i havent seen before

How do you mean your screen is ruined?you mean there is scratches on the lenses or what?

No finger, thanks for your confidence....

The picture is blurred on the left side

Dont have a picture here right now to show you but this I found an example on the web

http://media.photobucket.com/image/n97%20lens%20scratch/dan_2k_uk/random/21072009074.jpg

There were a few posts on the nokia site but they have apparently been deleted, I think.

There are 3 scratches on the lenses (in my case). The scratch causes the light to reflect light back into the lens blurring the left side of the picture. It doesnt always happen though, i'd say about 80% of the time.

This issue is apparently very common problem and seems to be a real problem for N97 owners

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks for that useless piece of info that i didnt require,had the application on my n95 worked no problem and kept me happy, i highly doubt i will get banned or a telling off,seems its posted here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59777565&postcount=29

That link has now been removed. I don't think Random realised what it was - the FAQ was a mammoth effort, copy and pasted from a range of threads and PMs, so it may have been overlooked.

vibe666 is correct in what he is saying, we do not allow discussion of anything that could be construed as illegal on this site.

• Advertisement

No finger, thanks for your confidence....

The picture is blurred on the left side

Dont have a picture here right now to show you but this I found an example on the web

http://media.photobucket.com/image/n97%20lens%20scratch/dan_2k_uk/random/21072009074.jpg

There were a few posts on the nokia site but they have apparently been deleted, I think.

There are 3 scratches on the lenses (in my case). The scratch causes the light to reflect light back into the lens blurring the left side of the picture. It doesnt always happen though, i'd say about 80% of the time.

This issue is apparently very common problem and seems to be a real problem for N97 owners
    Hmm any idea what part they are replacing?i would demand a new handset

Hmm any idea what part they are replacing?i would demand a new handset

No idea yet. I'd assume that at least the lens cover. I have complaint several times to nokia but they wont reply to my mails. If you ring them they will say they will look into it but never hear from them again...

I am a bit concerned as, if as suspected, is a design problem, replacing it will only postpone the inevitable, as I dont want to send it back for repair a few weeks later...

there is a common problem with the lens cover on the n97 collecting bits of dust and grit under it that end up scratching the glass directly over the lens, causing lens flare when the flash goes off. i already have it on mine as do several other posters here (if you had read through the thread).

i think we know how to keep our fingers away from the lens when taking pictures, but (to coin a phrase I heard recently) "Thanks for that useless piece of info that i didnt require". :rolleyes:

also, my previous post was meant to be a light hearted (hence the smiley) way of warning you that boards.ie isn't a fan of people requesting software that could be construed as malicious or illegal. "theft of service" is most certainly a crime in the eyes of the law, regardless of how you or I might feel about it and boards.ie has a responsibility to operate wholly within the law or they could face prosecution.

i'm not a mod, i don't make the rules or enforce them, i wasn't trying to tell you what to do, just let you know that "they don't like that kind of thing round these parts" so to speak. a little friendly advice from one poster to another.

i actually have a copy of the eircom wep key generator that I use to demonstrate to people how easy it is to access their wireless networks whenever I'm fixing their PC's, BUT after that you'll have to wait for someone else to feel sorry for you.

:pac: <- btw, that smiley is a laughing AT you, not WITH you one, and so is this one -> ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Is there a way of silencing phone calls, or cancelling them when someone is ringing you?
    Also is there a calculator hidde in it or is it a seperate app??

SQ2 wrote: »
    Is there a way of silencing phone calls, or cancelling them when someone is ringing you?
    Also is there a calculator hidde in it or is it a seperate app??

It keypad is locked, if you click 'unlock' slide your finger from right to left, it will silence.

If the keypad is unlocked, the bottom right buttom will appear with the word silence which will also do it.

Menu > applications > office > calculator :)

No idea yet. I'd assume that at least the lens cover. I have complaint several times to nokia but they wont reply to my mails. If you ring them they will say they will look into it but never hear from them again...

I am a bit concerned as, if as suspected, is a design problem, replacing it will only postpone the inevitable, as I dont want to send it back for repair a few weeks later...
    there are plenty of nokia's already using that type of lens cover without the issue and since there is a DIY fix involving sticky tape that stops it happening again, i'd imagine nokia have the problem in hand, even if they're trying to ignore people at the moment.

there are plenty of nokia's already using that type of lens cover without the issue and since there is a DIY fix involving sticky tape that stops it happening again, i'd imagine nokia have the problem in hand, even if they're trying to ignore people at the moment.

Yeah, I've read about it. Seems pretty easy solution. Once I get mine replaced I will do it...

Thanks!

there is a common problem with the lens cover on the n97 collecting bits of dust and grit under it that end up scratching the glass directly over the lens, causing lens flare when the flash goes off. i already have it on mine as do several other posters here (if you had read through the thread).

also, my previous post was meant to be a light hearted (hence the smiley) way of warning you that boards.ie isn't a fan of people requesting software that could be construed as malicious or illegal. "theft of service" is most certainly a crime in the eyes of the law, regardless of how you or I might feel about it and boards.ie has a responsibility to operate wholly within the law or they could face prosecution.

My apoligies i assumed i was correct seems it had been posted so long ago.I understand the rules and regulations,i shall source the app elsewhere.
    i think we know how to keep our fingers away from the lens when taking pictures, but (to coin a phrase I heard recently) "Thanks for that useless piece of info that i didnt require". :rolleyes:

Obviously people know to keep there fingers away from the lens,its the position your finger is placed at the side of the phone when the photo is being taken in landscape view.Anyways no need to be arguing over this,its nokia we should be arguing with.:D

I must say even though the shutter on the n95 was plastic looking,it still worked great and never had a problem with it.

001eva.jpg

002vnq.jpg
    003rlt.jpg

004qgp.jpg
    005pxu.jpg

Any1 tried this out yet?! Thinking of doin it as i only have my N97 since wed nd hope to avoid this issue as i would use the camera alot.

Also any1 hav any problems with the alarm clock??? mine goes off 5mins later than the time its set for its quar annoying!

• Advertisement

My apoligies i assumed i was correct seems it had been posted so long ago.I understand the rules and regulations,i shall source the app elsewhere.
    no probs, easy mistake to make. :)
    Anyways no need to be arguing over this,its nokia we should be arguing with.:D
    couldn't agree more. you'd have to wonder if a petition with a few names on it is going to make any difference though. :confused:

i was looking at my old n95 8gb that i just gave to a mate and it had less scratches on it's unprotected lens after almost 2 years jumping around in my pocket with my keys than my n97 lens has already after taking maybe 50 photo's and half a dozen video's. not overly impressed with such a high end phone, but then i don't suppose nokia would be overly impressed at such a potential cost to them to fix it.

you'd hope they'd come clean sooner or later though and just ask people to pop into a service centre to get the cover and lens swapped out with ones that don't have the problem. (hopefully).

Advertisement