Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Not until the days up to the release I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thats what i was thinking, but you never know, if you never ask! thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yes we will be carrying it, we are looking at July/August right now.
    in that case if another operator will be carrying it before then i'll have to put a lot of thought into moving from o2, or maybe even buying it sim free. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Will the nokia shops in the uk be selling this phone sim free ?
    Cheers.

boc121 wrote: »
    Cheers.

They will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

boc121 wrote: »
    Cheers.
    £499.99 sim free!

Mr.S wrote: »
    What providers in the UK are carrying it?

All bar o2 if i remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

kmart6 wrote: »
    £499.99 sim free!

Woo thats not much. Sounds good to me. Just hurry up
    and release them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

This phone was launched for sale today in Chicago and New York, and I have a friend going to NY soon.

Is there a difference between the N97 for sale in USA compared to the UK version for release soon? Has anyone any experience with this or obviously a similar phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Unless its quadband on 3G then the 3G network won't work here. My understanding is that the 3G frequencies in the U.S. are different.
    coghlac3 wrote: »
    This phone was launched for sale today in Chicago and New York, and I have a friend going to NY soon.

Is there a difference between the N97 for sale in USA compared to the UK version for release soon? Has anyone any experience with this or obviously a similar phone?

• Advertisement

From Nokia.co.uk

Operating Frequency
    (RM-505, Global) WCDMA 900/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA, GPRS, A-GPS, WLAN
    (RM-506, PR China) E-GSM 850/900/1800/1900, A-GPS
    (RM-507, Americas) WCDMA 850/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, A-GPS, WLAN
    Automatic switching between GSM bands
    Flight mode

From Nokiausa.com

Operating Frequency
    (RM-507, Americas) WCDMA 850/1900/2100 MHz, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, A-GPS, WLAN.
    The availability and accuracy of GPS location services are dependent on wireless networks, satellite systems, and the agency receiving the information. It may not function in all areas or at all times. You should never rely solely on GPS products for essential communications like emergencies.

Automatic switching between GSM bands
    Flight mode

So will the USA 3G work here? Thanks for quick reply!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bren32

Comparing the specs on the North America and UK sites there seems to be a slight difference in the WCDMA frequencies of the NAM model, the GSM frequencies are the same. Whether this will affect its performance on Irish networks I don't know.

North American Model
    http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n97/specifications
    Operating Frequency
    (RM-507, Americas) WCDMA 850/1900/2100 MHz, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, A-GPS, WLAN.

UK model:
    http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku=4016044&section_id=530&culture=en-GB

Operating Frequency

- (RM-505, Global) WCDMA 900/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA, GPRS, A-GPS, WLAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

bren32 wrote: »
    Comparing the specs on the North America and UK sites there seems to be a slight difference in the WCDMA frequencies of the NAM model, the GSM frequencies are the same. Whether this will affect its performance on Irish networks I don't know.

North American Model
    http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n97/specifications
    Operating Frequency

UK model:
    http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku=4016044&section_id=530&culture=en-GB

Operating Frequency

- (RM-505, Global) WCDMA 900/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA, GPRS, A-GPS, WLAN
    The Irish 3G networks use the 2100 band so the 850/900 band should have no relevance; that is, unless you're worried about 3G roaming on networks that do/don't support those 3G bands.

You wont be covered under European warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

This review is making me think twice.:rolleyes:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/sshow/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Soot-fan wrote: »
    This review is making me think twice.:rolleyes:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/sshow/index.html
    Think twice about what exactly?!

Well I think the warranty thing seals it, for the sake of fifty quid and two weeks I'll order from clove.co.uk

Thanks for all replies!

Well I think the warranty thing seals it, for the sake of fifty quid and two weeks I'll order from clove.co.uk

Thanks for all replies!

Its €601 from clove iirc, so it might even be advisable just to wait for store here, to save the whole sending back to them scenario. Although it will be covered for warranty here, but if you change your mind, it will be your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I believe their 3G network operates at a different frequency so unless you ahve sourced a European model there then I say avoid.

Davy wrote: »
    You wont be covered under European warranty.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I believe their 3G network operates at a different frequency so unless you ahve sourced a European model there then I say avoid.

It would work here on our bands, but the OP is buying from clove.co.uk as already posted

• Advertisement

Can buy it on voda uk now,, comes free with a 18th month contract

75195900.png

If anyone is going to the UK, you will be able to play with them in uk stores from next friday (19th) and on sale the following friday (26th)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Free if you don't mind forking out £40+ per month.

Wonder what that would equate to over here? €300 on tariffs above €50 pm? :D

byte wrote: »
    Free if you don't mind forking out £40+ per month.

Wonder what that would equate to over here? €300 on tariffs above €50 pm? :D

Well considering for £40 a month they get 1200 anytime minutes and unlimited texts, you could probably double the €50 to €100

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Davy wrote: »
    Well considering for £40 a month they get 1200 anytime minutes and unlimited texts, you could probably double the €50 to €100
    With 200 mins and 200 texts. Feckin country and its small market and money hungry bastards:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jamesmcgrane

Just bought an N97 on gummobile.com. It's selling for GBP494.99 + Shipping (GBP14.99). It says it's shipping on the 18th of June and when I enquired they told me I should have it on Tuesday (23rd) at latest. Cant Wait!!

Just bought an N97 on gummobile.com. It's selling for GBP494.99 + Shipping (GBP14.99). It says it's shipping on the 18th of June and when I enquired they told me I should have it on Tuesday (23rd) at latest. Cant Wait!!

Sounds good, have a contact who may be travelling to UK in or around release on 19th June and if they can pick it up for me in person then great, if not gummobile or clove.co.uk will have to do!

I wonder how many people are actually going to change their beloved n95 for this latest n series flagship. Their is a lot of talk and interest about it but nothing compared to the n95 interest 2 years ago if i remember correctly

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I for one will be. its an ideal upgrade for me seen as i always found the lack of qwerty annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Hype definitely isn't at the same level as for the N95 but that was revolutionary at the time and to my mind still stands up pretty well in spec terms. If 3 do the n97 I'll probably go with it but actually like what I have seen of the Omnia much more.

• Advertisement

Bluefrog wrote: »
    If 3 do the n97 I'll probably go with it but actually like what I have seen of the Omnia much more.

Why much more?

Capacitive touchscreen, HSDPA is 7.2 Mbps rather than 3.6 on the nokia, and a better camera on the 8910 is beaten by a full Qwerty keyboard on n97, oh its not a samsung :p

Advertisement