Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got fed up of some of the glitches in the original V10 software so just debranded my O2 N97 and now updated to 12.0.024

Just to let anyone else who's doing it know, it WILL remove everything you have on the phone, everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

lafors wrote: »
    Got fed up of some of the glitches in the original V10 software so just debranded my O2 N97 and now updated to 12.0.024

Just to let anyone else who's doing it know, it WILL remove everything you have on the phone, everything!

i updated my phone and because of the udp it didnt delete a thing. th phone is still hacked aswell.

might be a different case with yours as you have just debranded it and installed completely different firmware, but that being said nothing was deleted when i debranded and went from v10 to v11.

might have something to do with going from v10 to v12 direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Your phone stayed hacked after the FW update Thor?!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Thinking of hacking mine in the next couple of days as I really wanna get all those savage transitions that the "swanky" thing contains

Whats the deal...obviously your warranty is kaput once you do anything like this???

Also what patches do I need to have installed/ran on the phone in order to get the swanky thing working??

Thor wrote: »
    i updated my phone and because of the udp it didnt delete a thing. th phone is still hacked aswell.

might be a different case with yours as you have just debranded it and installed completely different firmware, but that being said nothing was deleted when i debranded and went from v10 to v11.

might have something to do with going from v10 to v12 direct.

Would it have been the way I did it?
    I used navifirm to download the latest firmware.
    Then used jaf 1.98.62 (with 1.98.64's .ini files) to change product code and install new firmware.
    Was pretty simple actually, only took 10 minutes and most of that was navifirm downloading the new firmware.

The only issue was the unlock switch did not respond after the update, I had to remove the battery and restart. I've seen a few people have had the same issue after updating.

EDIT:
    Question....
    Why are my photos not showing up on my phone?
    I sync'd with ovi and it sent my old photos to the phone, but the only way I can view them is through the file manager?
    How come I can't see/add them in the native photo app?

EDIT2:
    I'm trying to set up my gmail account again.
    I don't want to use nokia messaging....seeing as they'll be charging for it eventually.
    I go into my messaging menu (same place as txts are) and I have added my gmail account.
    I did an initial sync and it downloaded the last 100 mails (I set it to 100).
    Since then it has not got any new mails even though I've 3 unread in my online gmail acc.
    The settings I have for "Automatic Retrieval" are:
    Email Notifications - Disabled
    Email Retrieval - Only in home network
    Retrieval days - Every day
    Retrieval hours - All day
    Retrieval interval - Every 30 min

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

kmart6 wrote: »
    Your phone stayed hacked after the FW update Thor?!

yeah didnt have any problems after updating.

had to make a new c2z patch for them theme fx to work again as the old was restarting the phone after the update but its all fine now.

i can still install unsigned apps and all the ones i already had installed are still working perfectly.

also just to mention i have notice a great speed increase in going through the menus and pretty much all basic funtion are more steady now.

here is a list of the things i have noticed in the past day.

Coverage: much more steady and much better now. i use to change between 3g and 2g at my house but that last day since the u[date it hasnt lost 35g connection one me.

Battery: battery is definetly improved, have been using the phone pretty much none stop since yesterday and its still going strong. only 2 bars missing.

More ram seems to be availible.

this might not have to do with the update but if anyone else can confirm that they do indeed get more ram after the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

Is it possible to unlock and debrand the N97 right now?

And what would that do to the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just downloaded V12. I backed up everything using Ovisuite and started the download. Thing is the download installed and all my contacts, pics, apps, messages amd maps etc are still on the phone even though I have not yet transferred them back to the phone! Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

redout wrote: »
    Just downloaded V12. I backed up everything using Ovisuite and started the download. Thing is the download installed and all my contacts, pics, apps, messages amd maps etc are still on the phone even though I have not yet transferred them back to the phone! Any ideas ?

N97 comes with UDP (USER DATA PREVENTION), which means nothing will be lost after FW upgrade but backup is still recommended.

deep1 wrote: »
    N97 comes with UDP (USER DATA PREVENTION), which means nothing will be lost after FW upgrade but backup is still recommended.

Just noticed all messages from inbox are gone even after restoring the backup to the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Like i said went in to a nokia care point in limerick got them to debrand my phone least that way cant mess up my warranty or anything because they are registered nokia rep , the side lock thing has stopped and now im updating to 12.0 so heres hopin it be even better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just noticed all messages from inbox are gone even after restoring the backup to the phone.

Why did you do a restore?

Had you selected the messages tick box before you started the backup?

Davy wrote: »
    Why did you do a restore?

Had you selected the messages tick box before you started the backup?

I used nokia copier before firmware upgrade as I thought it wipes everything. Then after upgrade I put it back through nokia copier. I ticked all boxes that were available.

I used nokia copier before firmware upgrade as I thought it wipes everything. Then after upgrade I put it back through nokia copier. I ticked all boxes that were available.

Unfortunately its too late, but you didnt need to do a backup at all.

Im not sure why the inbox wasn't saved. Never had a problem myself that i remember. You could always try a restore of the same file again, and check the result file to see everything transferred successfully.

Or it could be you saved your message on mass memory and updating the fw change it to Phone memory or vice varsa, try to change memory if that helps else as davy said it's too late , one more restore might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

RVN10 wrote: »
    Like i said went in to a nokia care point in limerick got them to debrand my phone least that way cant mess up my warranty or anything because they are registered nokia rep , the side lock thing has stopped and now im updating to 12.0 so heres hopin it be even better :D

Did'nt know you could do this, does it also unlock the phone?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

havent tried yet to be honest must get my hands on another sim tomorrow or something and check it out , would be awesome if it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Just out of interest, How much does it cost and how long does it take?

boc121 wrote: »
    Did'nt know you could do this, does it also unlock the phone?
    Cheers.

It does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think it may be (just guessing) that UDP doesn't work if you change the product code and update the firmware as it rewrites the whole firmware from scratch, whereas if you already updated the product code before to get the v11 fw and then upgraded to v12 UDP will work.

just guessing, but it looks like the guys who changed the product code to get this FW update are the ones who lost their settings etc. or did i read the last few posts wrong?

anyone tried the new java version from the beta labs?

they say it's been re-written from the ground up to be faster etc. etc. but user opinions seem to be a bit miffed that it installs to the C drive only and eats space, although it does seem to speed up the phone and make installing apps smoother and a few other bits and bobs from what i remember.

and yes, i'm looking for someone braver than me to test it, i'm still nervous after my pc almost rebooted mid way through the v12 fw update. :(

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think it may be (just guessing) that UDP doesn't work if you change the product code and update the firmware as it rewrites the whole firmware from scratch, whereas if you already updated the product code before to get the v11 fw and then upgraded to v12 UDP will work.

just guessing, but it looks like the guys who changed the product code to get this FW update are the ones who lost their settings etc. or did i read the last few posts wrong?

Sounds about right
    vibe666 wrote: »
    anyone tried the new java version from the beta labs?

they say it's been re-written from the ground up to be faster etc. etc. but user opinions seem to be a bit miffed that it installs to the C drive only and eats space, although it does seem to speed up the phone and make installing apps smoother and a few other bits and bobs from what i remember.

and yes, i'm looking for someone braver than me to test it, i'm still nervous after my pc almost rebooted mid way through the v12 fw update. :(

I put it on last night while reinstalling apps from my update.
    It doesn't seem to make much difference to me?
    Don't do it though, as soon as I did I got the issue with maps3.0 where it won't load (stops at 30%) and tells me to download the latest version.
    Haven't found a fix to it yet, apparently the nokia service centres can't fix it either??

EDIT:
    Got it fixed, it was actually a problem as when I debranded it reinstalled the original software which was maps 2.0
    I plugged it into my pc and maps updater updated to ovi 3.0, works again, phew :)
    My GPS seems to be pretty good, I haven't had any issues with it yet bar the lock on time, my N82 was super fast at initial lock on.
    I find if you input a destination and click the bar on the top of the page (with the place name) then drive to, it will lock it almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Can someone please tell me how I can get the accuweather on the home page to auto refresh? its driving me crazy having to refresh it myself , using firmware 10 on O2 accuweather 1.0.20090513

:mad:

DRice wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how I can get the accuweather on the home page to auto refresh? its driving me crazy having to refresh it myself , using firmware 10 on O2 accuweather 1.0.20090513

:mad:

First advice to upgrade the fw to 12.0.024 if not branded phone.
    On home screen -> option-> content to online mode. why do you want it auto-refresh, it takes lots of battery,i manually refresh it few times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

deep1 wrote: »
    First advice to upgrade the fw to 12.0.024 if not branded phone.
    On home screen -> option-> content to online mode. why do you want it auto-refresh, it takes lots of battery,i manually refresh it few times a day.

thanks , I'm pretty sure the phone is branded to O2 but i will think about debranding and updating , i already have it set to online mode but thanks

can you (or anyone) get it to auto refresh even just to try it for me to humour me???!!! cheers

can you (or anyone) get it to auto refresh even just to try it for me to humour me???!!! cheers

It does work, i had it setup, but deleted it off the phone completely so cant remember exactly what to tell ya. I remember i did have a problem with the location at first, and it wouldn't update. I re-selected the area and seemed fine after that. I just use the clouds to tell now ;)

thanks , I'm pretty sure the phone is branded to O2 but i will think about debranding and updating , i already have it set to online mode but thanks

Other thing even though i havd it on offline mode, every night at exact 11.59, it asks for permission to go online and Updates itself. If that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Vodafone have announced that they're releasing the N97 soon.

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/509-n97-coming-soon/

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

My girlfriend got hers about a month ago and it was unlocked! She has a Meteor sim and put it straight in and has been using it! the internet works when shes near a wireless but she cant use the Facebook and Hotmail widgets on the main screen. She clicks into them but nothing happens just a blank loading screen!

Is the fact that she can't use these widgets due to the phone being unlocked to all networks and not locked to hers?

What can she do to resolve this?

I have a O2 N97 locked to that network and everything including widgets are working fine!

Cheers for your time!

the internet works when shes near a wireless but she cant use the Facebook and Hotmail widgets on the main screen. She clicks into them but nothing happens just a blank loading screen!

Is the fact that she can't use these widgets due to the phone being unlocked to all networks and not locked to hers?

What can she do to resolve this?

Well the facebook app has given problems to people. They will work, its just a connection setting or password problem. Its nothing to do with being with meteor or the phone being unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Works fine for me on unlocked Vodafone RTG

Advertisement