Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

any info on when meteor releasing it ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

I enquired in jul and answer was first week of august but didn't say what year though...

To be honest i think they don't know themselves, was in blanch meteor shop few weeks ago and guys spotted me talking on phone and they were like kid who got sweet. they mentioned the Nokia guys were in week before to show the phone and it's coming shortly but don't know how shortly.

deep1 wrote: »
    I enquired in jul and answer was first week of august but didn't say what year though...

To be honest i think they don't know themselves, was in blanch meteor shop few weeks ago and guys spotted me talking on phone and they were like kid who got sweet. they mentioned the Nokia guys were in week before to show the phone and it's coming shortly but don't know how shortly.
    :eek: due an upgrade now so hopefully pretty soon its out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Walkman wrote: »
    3 will be releasing it but I would not expect it by 31st
    I saw in Carphone Warehouse that is already on 3.. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

89101.JPG

Cover is fine its the latches at the top that seem to be bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Telgere wrote: »

I haven't checked on mine (it's under a case so too much bother) but you do know you insert that side first when replacing the cover (?)

...not trying to be smart, just hoping it's a simple mistake for your sake. It always confuses me because it seems more obvious to insert the other side first, then clip it in place on that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Telgere wrote: »

They do look to be damaged alrite, can you get a better photo than that

Has anyone found a way to have more than 2 rows of applications on the dashboard instead of those useless widgets? I could easily fill the front screen with apps. It's annoying that there are things on the phone that aren't even accessible unless you add a front-screen icon for -eg. calculator how are ya?

Still with 'official' room for only 8 apps on the dash I have no room for calculator on there.

A widget that simply allows application icons would be a suitable workaround I'm thinking.... ?

A program called 'cute keys' might be some use to you, you can create any shortcuts you like to launch any app

Davy wrote: »
    A program called 'cute keys' might be some use to you, you can create any shortcuts you like to launch any app

Thanks. My enthusiasm for your suggestion was short-lived though when I saw it was a pay-for app. As good as it might be I don't think it's something I should have to pay for. I'm sure there's a way to install it anyway, but I'd rather not do that either. I'll suffer on if there's no simpler method.

[I realise people should be paid for producing good things, but I see this as something that should be (and is) a capability of the phone anyway, not an extra to be paid for.]

• Advertisement

Sorry should have mentioned that, you can try it out for 10 or 14 days if you want see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Looking for advice.

Heading to NY next week and the Nokia flagship store is selling the N97 for $700 unlocked.

Link

So "Go for it" or "Too risky"?

manster wrote: »
    Looking for advice.

Heading to NY next week and the Nokia flagship store is selling the N97 for $700 unlocked.

Link

So "Go for it" or "Too risky"?

My first reaction was $700 seems a little pricey, but just did a conversion and it comes out around 491euros. Not bad.
    Still, you lose the european warranty.

Unless you regularly go to the US or wouldn't mind shipping it back for repair (which probably isn't really likely I'd say), I think you'd do better to source it from somewhere in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I know buying from ebay seems dodgy, but i got mine from there for €400, box was opened, but nothing missing, phone wasn't turned on no prints on it. It was perfect. got it in 3 working days, not bad. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

allen175 wrote: »
    I know buying from ebay seems dodgy, but i got mine from there for €400, box was opened, but nothing missing, phone wasn't turned on no prints on it. It was perfect. got it in 3 working days, not bad. :cool:
    there's already 2 or 3 clones of the n97 so you'd want to be very sure of what you're buying before you hand over your dosh to ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Guys anyone here Having Problem with Gps, i was waiting it to be fixed with FW upgrade but not, was reading on Net lots of people are getting replacement from Nokia.
    I bought from expansys so wondering what is the best way to deal with it, or if anyone else using Any other navigation software?
    Personally i think it could be sorted in next fw as Gps works Fine On Nokia Maps 2.0 so there is some issue with Maps 3.0.
    Any Input?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

deep1 wrote: »
    Guys anyone here Having Problem with Gps, i was waiting it to be fixed with FW upgrade but not, was reading on Net lots of people are getting replacement from Nokia.
    I bought from expansys so wondering what is the best way to deal with it, or if anyone else using Any other navigation software?
    Personally i think it could be sorted in next fw as Gps works Fine On Nokia Maps 2.0 so there is some issue with Maps 3.0.
    Any Input?

I've not had a problem with mine. I'm using Maps 3.0 too, which apparently is the problem according to Nokia.
    If your GPS works on 2.0 then I wouldn't send it back, but if it doesn't then I would.

I think the maps 2.0/3.0 problem nokia are talking about is nothing to do with the GPS unit. There seems to be too many people with GPS problems and then some like me whom it works perfectly for, that signifies a HW problem not a software one.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

from vodafone forums

We expect the N97 to be available from Vodafone early next week.
    This will be priced from €349.99 for Pay Monthly customers and from €529.99 for Pre Pay.

ffs - cartel at work here - almost same pricing as o2, com reg need to pull out their thumbs for once, cheaper to buy online sim-free

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

A friend of mine that works in Carphone warehouse told me yesterday that it now wont be released on Meteor until after xmas, as Meteor will be rebranded as Eircom mobile, and wont be launching the N97 until after the switch over.

Someone please tell me he is talking bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Chimo29

is that really true about vodafone and next week? they told me otherwise just a few days ago. the only info I can find on it is below. Does anyone have anymore info on this or even a link to the one for next week?
    cheers

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/509-n97-coming-soon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

Chimo29 wrote: »
    is that really true about vodafone and next week? they told me otherwise just a few days ago. the only info I can find on it is below. Does anyone have anymore info on this or even a link to the one for next week?
    cheers

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/509-n97-coming-soon/

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/578-n97-update/

DELIGHTED!!! ABOUT TIME TOO

thecutter wrote: »
    A friend of mine that works in Carphone warehouse told me yesterday that it now wont be released on Meteor until after xmas, as Meteor will be rebranded as Eircom mobile, and wont be launching the N97 until after the switch over.

Someone please tell me he is talking bull!
    found this http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?s=&showtopic=108&view=findpost&p=338

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Chimo29 wrote: »
    DELIGHTED!!! ABOUT TIME TOO

LOL whew I was actually in an O2 store yesterday asking what I needed to do to change to O2 (after nine years with Vodafone) so I could get a N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

PH4T wrote: »
    LOL whew I was actually in an O2 store yesterday asking what I needed to do to change to O2 (after nine years with Vodafone) so I could get a N97.
    you didn't sign over your first born already did you? :D

wel odly enough i was doing the exact same thing in o2 but decided against it as my girlfriend moved to vodafone so we could make cheaper calls. So it wouldnt go down well.

I just spoke to the product guys and they tell me that we are expecting this phone in stores late next week. I know a few of you have been looking forward to these. Might upgrade my n95 myself biggrin.gif

Hope this helps

Glynn
    Meteor talk to us
    just got that of meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Bill Pay :rolleyes:

Do they not understand people on Pay as you go would buy the phone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Elessar wrote: »
    Bill Pay :rolleyes:

Do they not understand people on Pay as you go would buy the phone too?

Just as I decided to get the N97 this emerges:

http://gizmodo.com/5346818/nokia-n900-maemo-is-a-phone-makes-the-n97-look-silly

Would I be right in assuming that this won't be out for ages?

I could get a N97 now and upgrade to something like the N900 in a year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

PH4T wrote: »
    Just as I decided to get the N97 this emerges:

http://gizmodo.com/5346818/nokia-n900-maemo-is-a-phone-makes-the-n97-look-silly

Would I be right in assuming that this won't be out for ages?

I could get a N97 now and upgrade to something like the N900 in a year...

The N900 is coming out in October. For less than the N97 too.

Unless they drop the N97s price drastically, I think I'll wait for the N900.

Advertisement