Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

SQ2 wrote: »
    Am I the only 02 customer not showing a FW update available? I'm still on 10.0.012
    Cheers

o2 havent released their version 12 yet hence we are stuck with buggy version 10. see my post about 15 mins ago, you getting any of the same problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

RVN10 wrote: »
    Some are known as phonemenders well thats what they called down in Limerick ,best thing i ever done going there.

www.fonemenders.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

yeah lots of bugs to be fair so far.. making it hard to "love" the phone.. might try the fonemenders route tomorrow

i love it but its like a bird who you like, but keeps p###ing you off!!! :o

what problems you getting, basically the ones in my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

As far as im aware your not voiding your warranety because its an official nokia center doing if for ya not changing product code yourself. Also if you ever did have a fault with it you could always take it back to them to fix it for ya because would be quicker than o2 if it needed a repair provided you've your receipt.

• Advertisement

Basically buttons not doing what they're told to straight away, having to use unlock 3 or 4 times before it actually unlocks, the phone hanging from time to time and having to take battery out to reboot, the photos issue, music player is absolutely awful to use and slow (I have 2k songs loaded, I'm sure I'm below average there)

I think the predictive text is clumsy to use, it doesn't follow the usual patterns I'm used to, when you type "we" "y3" comes up as the first option for some reason, when you type "a" on its own, the letter that comes up is "c"!

The punctuation seems to be random.. when you press the "1" key and you accidentally pass the charater you want, you can't (unless I'm mistaken) scroll back through the character options so you have to delete it and start scrolling through them again..

GPS gets a rare connection, even with assisted gps

When thumbing through your contacts with the (too skinny) scroll bar on the right of the screen to get the contact you'd like to call, it always jumps back up a page when you release your thumb from the screen. It only seems to be used with the stylus, not a finger or a thumb

Not a fw issue but when using the photo shutter button I always seem to clumsily use my thumb to hit the call end button and exit the camera function altogether!

It doesn't make it completely clear which method it's using to access information from the web etc..

"connect to network"
    "allow access to network?"
    "connection to internet needed"

These options don't let me know if it's wlan or wap it's going to use. One of the setings options to connect is "internet" and it doesn't really tell me if that's going to be via wap or not!
    Why doesn't it just use the same terms each time? Such as "Search for WLAN" where you know it's going to connect to the net via wi-fi.

Rant over for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Still no firmware update from o2. This is just going on so long now, very frustrating.

Basically buttons not doing what they're told to straight away, having to use unlock 3 or 4 times before it actually unlocks, the phone hanging from time to time and having to take battery out to reboot, the photos issue, music player is absolutely awful to use and slow (I have 2k songs loaded, I'm sure I'm below average there)

I think the predictive text is clumsy to use, it doesn't follow the usual patterns I'm used to, when you type "we" "y3" comes up as the first option for some reason, when you type "a" on its own, the letter that comes up is "c"!

The punctuation seems to be random.. when you press the "1" key and you accidentally pass the charater you want, you can't (unless I'm mistaken) scroll back through the character options so you have to delete it and start scrolling through them again..

When thumbing through your contacts with the (too skinny) scroll bar on the right of the screen to get the contact you'd like to call, it always jumps back up a page when you release your thumb from the screen. It only seems to be used with the stylus, not a finger or a thumb

Not a fw issue but when using the photo shutter button I always seem to clumsily use my thumb to hit the call end button and exit the camera function altogether!

It doesn't make it completely clear which method it's using to access information from the web etc..

"connect to network"

These options don't let me know if it's wlan or wap it's going to use. One of the setings options to connect is "internet" and it doesn't really tell me if that's going to be via wap or not!
    Why doesn't it just use the same terms each time? Such as "Search for WLAN" where you know it's going to connect to the net via wi-fi.

ah your issues seem to be more subtle, are you applications working without script errors and do all your widgets refresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You really need to update to v11, or v12!

If you type the word 'we' for a five times, it will remember that you have used it, and will make it the first option. Its the first word that appears on my when i type #9 and #3. As the same is when i click #2 once it brings the letter 'A'

You can press '*' and all the punctuation will appear. If you want to scroll back you can by press the green tick (top left) then you can click previous till go back one or two how many you over pressed. I find the '*' star way is quicker.

I always use it assisted as i have a data addon its not a problem. I h
    found a much improvement on the gps going from maps 2.0 to maps 3.0. The later has been with drawn from the n97 at the moment to fix bugs, but you could still download the file from another source on the web.

I do agree the bar could be wider for use with your thumb. You can just scroll up and down along the contacts without using the scroll bar. You can rub your finger from top to bottom, and repeat, or you can rub from top to bottom and hold your finger there untill reach the right contact. While holding on the screen, you can slide back up a little if you have gone too far.

"connect to network"

You can setup the priority you want in Settings>connectivity>Destinations.

If you click 'internet' you can set which you want to connect to first. So put wlan as number one, so when available it will always use that. You will also know when its using wifi due to the little 'antenna' icon on the screen as opposed to a 3G icon.

Wlan icon: f35f0183ece34f75a2e78f70c6436397.jpg

An even clearer way, is to make a new destination. So you can have 'internet' and 'internet 2' for example. (you could call one 3g, and one wlan if you wanted. Then when you launch the web app, the pop-up appears asking you what connection to use, you can scroll the list, and select what ever you want, either 'internet' (3g) or 'internet 2' (wlan)

I find the first way better, as if wlan isnt available it goes straight to 3g automatically without more button clicks needed.

Quite a long reply, but hope that makes things a bit better for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Anyone who's unlocked/debranded their n97, could you link to the method that you used?

I think I'm about done waiting for o2 to get off their asses and release the newer firmware versions to us plebs.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote: »
    Anyone who's unlocked/debranded their n97, could you link to the method that you used?

I think I'm about done waiting for o2 to get off their asses and release the newer firmware versions to us plebs.

Unlocking and debranding are two different things completely. If you want if unlocked you need to get the code from o2, or go to an unlocking shop and get it done for about €60.

If you want to change the product code so you can update to V12 software, download nss: Link

Connect the phone. Click read, you will see the product code, delete it and type (code see below) into the box, then check the box, and click 'write'. Then if you click read again, it should confirm that the code has been changed.

Euro codes RM505
    White:0576350
    Black: 0570817

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

VF are finally shipping selling the n97...

Anyone got one from VF Ireland and know what software is its shipped with???

cramp

Davy wrote: »
    Unlocking and debranding are two different things completely. If you want if unlocked you need to get the code from o2, or go to an unlocking shop and get it done for about €60.

If you want to change the product code so you can update to V12 software, download nss: Link

Connect the phone. Click read, you will see the product code, delete it and type (code see below) into the box, then check the box, and click 'write'. Then if you click read again, it should confirm that the code has been changed.

Euro codes RM505

Might give it a bash, thanks. I'm guessing the generic codes were just taken off a sim-free version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Make sure you back-up everything before updating!!! i just updated mine to v12 and bricked it!! got so scared!! but luckily its an east fix! just be very careful!!

How'd you brick it and how'd you fix it? :)

it was just stuck in a continuos loop of restarting after i updated it.

done a quick google search and found a video of the same thing that was wrong with my phone and people left comments on how to fix it.

Hold left shift, spacebar, backspace and the power button and it loads up, but everything was deleted, restored my backup and it was back to normal, new firmware and all.

DRice wrote: »
    ah your issues seem to be more subtle, are you applications working without script errors and do all your widgets refresh?

Yeah no script errors here, I've turned off my widgets to save battery, but I didn't seem to have any trouble with them when they were on

Might give it a bash, thanks. I'm guessing the generic codes were just taken off a sim-free version?

Ye, its the euro code, a sim free uk code is different. The uk version didnt get the v12 update at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm with Moriarty on this one. Fed up waiting and will try and figure out a way to do it myself. If anyone has precise instructions for me (o2 v10 firmware) then please let me know. Would prefer not to have my first ever brick!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Euro codes RM505

Just followed your advice worked fine changed code :D
    Thanks for that.

allen175 wrote: »
    it was just stuck in a continuos loop of restarting after i updated it.

done a quick google search and found a video of the same thing that was wrong with my phone and people left comments on how to fix it.

Hold left shift, spacebar, backspace and the power button and it loads up, but everything was deleted, restored my backup and it was back to normal, new firmware and all.

Same thing happened to mine, followed your advice working perfect now:D
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Guys, just wanted to say that I got my N97 on Thursday (WoHoo!) as a billpay upgrade from O2. Opened it up and it was on V11 fw. I actually updated to the V12 fw over the air just after leaving the shop. I haven't checked the product code yet or tried a different sim in the phone, but I reckon I have a sim-free unit!
    Love the phone, but it is sickening that I have applications closing in front of my eyes because of low RAM.
    I know from owning the N95 classic from the beginning, and then moving upto the N95 8GB, that the FW was useless and even the browser would crash on it's own.

I have high hopes for this phone reckon that it will probably take two FW updates for this thing to move along at a comfortable pace. (Plus the fact that I've had to promise that I wouldn't change the phone for a year:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Obskure wrote: »
    I have high hopes for this phone reckon that it will probably take two FW updates for this thing to move along at a comfortable pace. (Plus the fact that I've had to promise that I wouldn't change the phone for a year:D )
    that's the thing with it, it's brand new, it takes a while to work out all the bugs.

people forget what a nightmare the original n95 was when it came out and how much it improved with new firmware updates and then with the n95 8gb and the updated firmwares on that over time.

nokia have done very well to get the v11 and v12 firmwares out so quickly imho. sure i was a bit p*ssed off initially when i got the phone and it was pretty buggy, but i know that it's just not possible to get everything tested to perfection before launch when they're under so much pressure to get the thing into peoples hands.

the n97 v12 fw is already so much better than the launch version and there are already many improvements to the n97 experience as a whole.

personally it's a great phone with a few minor flaws at this stage (if you're on v12) and it's just going to get better and better, as these things always do. this is just the beginning people, keep the faith and ye shall be rewarded muchly in the kingdom of nokia! :D

oh, and i hope the n900 sucks and the n97 gets to keep its crown, but who knows. :)

just to add. with the v12 firmware, my lock/unlock issues are 95% fixed, aside from the odd issue. gps is working fine with nokia maps 3, phone is responsive and apps are stable, internet access is fine.

even my bluetooth connection is working properly on my pc since i found out that the n97 favours BT dongles that use the MS BT stack instead of the WIDCOMM one my BT dongle came with. pretty sure that i posted a link to a guide a few pages back too if anyone wants to use BT to sync their phone and email etc.

i'm loving it just as much as the n95 8gb when i first got that and the n95 before that and the n80 before that, but i could no more go back to the n95 8gb now than i could have gone back to the phone before that. always moving forward. :)

Is anyone unable to connect to the internet after the v12 update?? i can't connect through the WLAN or vodafone live. I have no idea what is wrong!!

Is anyone unable to connect to the internet after the v12 update?? i can't connect through the WLAN or vodafone live. I have no idea what is wrong!!

Did you do a backup and restore? Possible the internet settings were cleared with the updating. I didnt have any problem when i did mine, even my WEP was saved.

Go to settings > connectivity > wireless LAN and do a search first. If the access point has been deleted you will need your WEP key from your router.

Do that first, then see about the live settings from here

Did you do a backup and restore? Possible the internet settings were cleared with the updating. I didnt have any problem when i did mine, even my WEP was saved.

Go to settings > connectivity > wireless LAN and do a search first. If the access point has been deleted you will need your WEP key from your router.

Do that first, then see about the live settings from here

yeah, i done a backup and restore. my router doesn't have a wep key (i know big mistake, but has to be like that) going to try one more thing now.

yeah, i done a backup and restore. my router doesn't have a wep key (i know big mistake, but has to be like that) going to try one more thing now.

What happens when you go to: Settings > connectivity > wireless lan > and then your router should appear, what happens when you click options start browsing?

What happens when you go to: Settings > connectivity > wireless lan > and then your router should appear, what happens when you click options start browsing?

i used to get something like, wlan connection already open, close it to continue, when i was only trying to connect to the one network.

But, its all fixed now, just done another backup and restore, but left out "settings" and now its all good, can browse the internet with vodafone live and wifi.

Thanks for the help anyway Davy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

sony ericson better, the k850i

Obskure wrote: »
    Guys, just wanted to say that I got my N97 on Thursday (WoHoo!) as a billpay upgrade from O2. Opened it up and it was on V11 fw. I actually updated to the V12 fw over the air just after leaving the shop. I haven't checked the product code yet or tried a different sim in the phone, but I reckon I have a sim-free unit!
    )

what o2 store was this????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

The n97 as provided by Vodafone is not locked to any mobile network... I spotted a Meteor sim at home and stuck it into the phone I got from Vodafone on Friday:)

Advertisement