Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi,

With the new Maps 3.1 with GPS fix do I need to download the Ireland map again. I installed the update and noticed the map appears different. So whats the story ?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just checked an Ireland map is now over 4MB larger than before so presume thats a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i just ordered mine as well i had a look on the nokia.ie site compared the n97 with the n900(has no radio) they also have the n97 mini on it.

but the best part is i got mine for 200 euro :D

n900 has a radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Thor wrote: »
    n900 has a radio
    i did a comparison on the nokia site and it showed no radio but when i goto nokia n900 on its own it shows an fm transmiter(fcuk that im just after ordering a n97)

the fm transmitter is for sending the music to your radio in your car or home stereo.

it does have an fm radio aswell.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900-2917.php

specs there list it as having one aswell as nokia site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

i did a comparison on the nokia site and it showed no radio but when i goto nokia n900 on its own it shows an fm transmiter(fcuk that im just after ordering a n97)

Fm transmitter and Radio is two diffrent things.

• Advertisement

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Docs_and_Code/deviceComparison.xhtml?dev=[N900]

It doesn't show N900 has radio so still in doubt, if you compare N900 and N97.

its wierd alright.

cant imagine them putting an fm transmitter in and leaving out a good old radio.

it wouldnt have been hard to put one in.

i suppose they see this one more towards podcasting and internet radio then just the basic radio.

donkey balls if the only reason that made you pick the n97 over the n900 was the lack of a radio your mad. the n900 will top the n97 in most parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

ah well thor looks like i will have to wait till next year before i get my hands on one probely be replaced with a new model n999 when i get it

still getting an n97 for 200 euro cant be to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

How are you getting it for 200 euros ? Thats a great bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

was gunna wait for the n900 too but getting the n97 from vodafone for 278 so said id go for it, coiuld prob sell it online for four hundred tommorrw if i wanted anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Got mine from VF 2 days ago , and cant find any bugs yet as sum has reported here .....as yet!!!

Interesting that it is NOT branded in any way by VF, this is a 1st for me with VF fones , usually pasted all over with VF logos....i havnt stuck a different network Sim in it yet though, not sure if its unlocked!!

Its shipped with firmware 12.xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Thor wrote: »
    its wierd alright.

cant imagine them putting an fm transmitter in and leaving out a good old radio.

it wouldnt have been hard to put one in.

It has the hardware for radio, just no app yet, but I reckon it won't be long before someone there's a few out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Anyone know how to find photos that were on your sim card?

Going from N95 - N97 and the photos seemed to have disappeared

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone know how to find photos that were on your sim card?

Going from N95 - N97 and the photos seemed to have disappeared

Thanks

I think you mean memory card not sim card.
    They won't show up in your captured images so the way to look at them is to use file manager (in applications>office) to find them.
    Nokias beta photo viewer works for showing all photos, its available on nokia beta labs site.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

N97 delivered this morning by Nightline :D

the hardware is 3 branded (3 logo on the back). not sure about the software as im in work in a call center so cant switch it on yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Johndman

V.2 firmware update brings

kenetic scrolling
    New widgets
    Increase in ram
    Smooth Browsing
    Stability improved

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

just a quick question to fellow n97 owners, in sw update there is something weird listed, im running v11 firmware btw, its called 'installed before phone software' and is only 4kb

the description says : You need to unmark phone software and install this update first. The Phone software installation does not start if this package is not installed on the phone. Version number 0.1 (0)

does anybody know what this is and if its safe to install ?

thanks

DermoMIO wrote: »
    just a quick question to fellow n97 owners, in sw update there is something weird listed, im running v11 firmware btw, its called 'installed before phone software' and is only 4kb

the description says : You need to unmark phone software and install this update first. The Phone software installation does not start if this package is not installed on the phone. Version number 0.1 (0)

does anybody know what this is and if its safe to install ?

thanks

It's indeed safe to install, It's just update which will help getting the over the air updates in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Just a quick heads up guys. The N97 is now listed on the three.ie websiite.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

my 3 n97 is up and running, its on firmware v 11 and the startup logo on the phone is indeed 3 branded

having loads of issues setting up nokia messaging with gmail though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if i didn't already have my n97 i'd be hard pushed to justify buying one one with the n900 just round the corner.

although FW v2 for the n97 coming soon might even the playing field somewhat, i'd still be leaning towards meamo5 on the n900, it looks like a lot more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

The N900 did look pretty impressive when I first saw it but I think the N97 is a better choice over the N900 if you're looking for a phone.
    At the end of the day the N900 is an internet tablet first and a phone second. Since the N900 can only be used in landscape mode (apart from the contacts app) I think it would become a bit of a pain over time (no one handed use). Also I don't think it'll sit as well in your pocket as its bigger and heavier than the N97.

I've been undecided on whether to buy an N97 for a while now but if the new firmware works as well as it does in the demo video above, I think I'll finally buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

is it possible to flick through your albums looking at the album covers similar to the iphone ?

cant find the option

zod wrote: »
    is it possible to flick through your albums looking at the album covers similar to the iphone ?

cant find the option

Coming in Oct in New firmware, Plus lots of extras.

my n97 is coming in the morning and ive read a lot around here that all new vodafone phones come unlocked out of the box but i tried my dads two weeks old 5800 with my meteor sim today and it said invalid card, have any of you ordered off voda online and it has been unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

voteforlee wrote: »
    my n97 is coming in the morning and ive read a lot around here that all new vodafone phones come unlocked out of the box but i tried my dads two weeks old 5800 with my meteor sim today and it said invalid card, have any of you ordered off voda online and it has been unlocked?

Its look of the draw. The first batch bought are often unlocked, not just for vodafone. Nothing to do with ordering online.

Davy wrote: »
    Its look of the draw. The first batch bought are often unlocked, not just for vodafone. Nothing to do with ordering online.

is unlocking an advanced phone like an n97 as simple a procedure as unlocking a normal mobile, in the sense of its just entering a code?

will the firmware updates be affected if im not using a vodafone sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

is unlocking an advanced phone like an n97 as simple a procedure as unlocking a normal mobile, in the sense of its just entering a code?

Yes if you get it from your network. Its can be unlock in certain shops, very few at the moment for €60ish.

will the firmware updates be affected if im not using a vodafone sim?

No, you can still get the updates. It depends when you get the updates. This varies on the phone product code, but it can be easily changed so you get all updates as soon as they are available, even if vodafone haven't signed uo for them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

@voteforfree

got mine from VF online on tuesday..

and it was 100% unbranded..........
    still havnt stuck a another network sim in it yet 2c if its unlocked!

cramp

Advertisement