Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

imho it would be very unusual for vodafone to bother to lock a handset without plastering their logo all over it, so fingers crossed cramp that yours is unlocked too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I just got a N97 yesterday and am moving from a N95 8GB.

Dunno where to start in this thread as it's massive. Could anyone who has been following this thread from the start point me to some useful posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Got mine from vodafone yesterday. Not locked, not branded (exc. for sum bookmarks that CAN be deleted), and latest firmware. No probs so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

thanks davy cramp and strecker

hope ill be lucky, its here in half an hour so i dont have long to wait now to find out =/

PH4T wrote: »
    I just got a N97 yesterday and am moving from a N95 8GB.

Dunno where to start in this thread as it's massive. Could anyone who has been following this thread from the start point me to some useful posts?
    afaik, it wasn't until page 40 or 50 that it was actually available, so you could start around there and work your way in.

unfortunately, as you say there's just so much in the thread at this stage that it would be just as hard for any of us regulars to find anything useful as it would for you, so you might just have to roll up your sleeves and start reading.

the good news is that you can read through the thread at any time on your nice new shiny n97 so it should take you no time at all to catch up! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Got mine today from Vodafone. Haven't put in SIM yet but on WLAN at home and software updates won't update on the phone. Two Update - Install First and Maps tried and failed. Any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Davy wrote: »
    Yes if you get it from your network. Its can be unlock in certain shops, very few at the moment for €60ish.

I got my n97 on ebay so its an english network (3). Do you know anyway i can get a code (preferably for free).

(Unlocking an iphone is so much easier!!)

Dermoth wrote: »
    Got mine today from Vodafone. Haven't put in SIM yet but on WLAN at home and software updates won't update on the phone. Two Update - Install First and Maps tried and failed. Any ideas? Thanks
    plug it into a pc via usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

You can't update an N97 unless it has a SIM inserted and is has the General profile activated. Either method of updating will work then, assuming that the update is available for your product code
    cotwold wrote: »
    I got my n97 on ebay so its an english network (3). Do you know anyway i can get a code (preferably for free).

(Unlocking an iphone is so much easier!!)

There is no "free" method of unlocking the phone unless you can contact the operator for the Network Unlock Code.
    As for the unlock shops, they can't unlock it on site yet. There is only one teams' software that can do it. They come to Dublin twice a month and, as stated earlier, costs roughly €60

Obskure wrote: »
    There is no "free" method of unlocking the phone unless you can contact the operator for the Network Unlock Code.
    As for the unlock shops, they can't unlock it on site yet. There is only one teams' software that can do it. They come to Dublin twice a month and, as stated earlier, costs roughly €60

Ok thanks. I found sites offering unlock codes for small fees, such as link 1 and link 2. Does anyone have any experience of them, are they legit/ do the codes work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

cotwold wrote: »
    Ok thanks. I found sites offering unlock codes for small fees, such as link 1 and link 2. Does anyone have any experience of them, are they legit/ do the codes work?

Don't use 2nd one, they only send you instruction how to unlock( which you know already), and charge €4.59 including tax, i paid once and had to open paypal dispute, They refunded me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

phone is totally unlocked and de branded which is great, all the lastest firm ware i think!!

my laptop is currently down and will be for a while so im using my fathers home pc (which he is incredibly anal about and will not give me administrator priledges)

therefore for now im just clicking and draggin music and photos onto the n9y through the my computer menu, am i missing out on much but not using and ovi suite software?

deep1 wrote: »
    Don't use 2nd one, they only send you instruction how to unlock( which you know already), and charge €4.59 including tax, i paid once and had to open paypal dispute, They refunded me anyway.

Actually looked at a view review sites with these 2 on em and they're both scam websites so im back to step one.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

To be honest, I would not trust Unlocksearch.com I just gave them a bogus IMEI for an N97 on 3 UK and, voila! I was told that an "Unlock Report" was available immediately via email for £3.99. Not good, me thinks.
    As for unlocksuperstore.co.uk they have a refund policy(7 days) if an unlock code can't be obtained. So maybe it's worth 2.99 just to see.
    I know for a fact that there are some people out there that have access to the unlock codes databases for different Network Operators, which is how this company claim to be able to unlock your mobile.
    It's a punt that you will have to take........Or not, as the case may be.

Anyway, the box that can unlock the N97 is called the DM3, if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Hi. I have the N97 up and running but the Ovi Store App does nothing. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Anyone having GPS issues with maps 3.1?? it was working fine for 3 days then 2 days ago it just does not want to locate and satellites.

oh and its the same with google maps, doesn't locate satellites.

allen175 wrote: »
    Anyone having GPS issues with maps 3.1?? it was working fine for 3 days then 2 days ago it just does not want to locate and satellites.

oh and its the same with google maps, doesn't locate satellites.

Install the Latest version from Nokia beta labs which is updated today, seems to fix lots of problems. I haven't checked it fully though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Hi. I have the N97 up and running but the Ovi Store App does nothing. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

go to app manager; highlight ovi; option; suite settings... Check if it is 'allowed' to go online!

i updated it, but still nothing, its just not picking up any signal! i get the icon saying that the gps is turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Does the USB charger affect the charging time?

Seems to take an age to fully charge, but light usage seems to run down the battery very quickly.

• Advertisement

xanthor wrote: »
    Does the USB charger affect the charging time?

Seems to take an age to fully charge, but light usage seems to run down the battery very quickly.

Yeah USB takes along time and you won't be getting same talk time oppose to wall charger, but still does the job in emergency.

ok, i have done a hard reset on the phone and installed the latest version of nokia maps on it, still absolutely no gps signal!! i worried that when i dropped it the other day it might have have something to do with it. Should i bring it to a nokia service center??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ok, i have done a hard reset on the phone and installed the latest version of nokia maps on it, still absolutely no gps signal!! i worried that when i dropped it the other day it might have have something to do with it. Should i bring it to a nokia service center??

Are you outside?
    Have you waited for a few minutes?
    Have you tried assisted gps using a network connection to help?
    Have you gone to options and search to find satellites?

Davy wrote: »
    Are you outside?
    Have you waited for a few minutes?
    Have you tried assisted gps using a network connection to help?
    Have you gone to options and search to find satellites?

Yes i am outside trying.
    I gave it an hour+ to search for a signal.
    how do i do that?
    again how do i do that?

Should i bring it to a nokia service center??

I was talking to fonemenders 2 days ago and they don't have any part for N97 yet, so that will be no real help IMO, unless they send it to nokia and waiting is 10 days.I will try do what davy said and then NCP is last option anyway.

how do i do that?
    again how do i do that?
    go to application ->Location -> positioning -> positioning methods and make sure Assisted Gps, integrated gps and network base are checked.

2nd
    go to application ->Location -> Gps data ->option satelite status and leave it for while.

go to application ->Location -> positioning -> positioning methods and make sure Assisted Gps, integrated gps and network base are checked.

2nd
    go to application ->Location -> Gps data ->option satelite status and leave it for while.

everything is checked as its supposed to be in the first one.

second one is giving me 1-5 empty bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

everything is checked as its supposed to be in the first one.

second one is giving me 1-5 empty bars.

Long shot, but have you tried uxkng Google maps at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Yeah USB takes along time and you won't be getting same talk time oppose to wall charger, but still does the job in emergency.

So, i'm doomed to slow charging, and having to top it up regularly in order to avoid said sluggish charging :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

xanthor wrote: »
    So, i'm doomed to slow charging, and having to top it up regularly in order to avoid said sluggish charging :mad:

Have you updated to V12 software? It seems to charge a lot quick over usb on v12 for me.

Advertisement