Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

long_b wrote: »
    Long shot, but have you tried uxkng Google maps at all ?

yeah i have, its worse!! it will only connect to my wlan network, and when it is connected it still won't find a satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

allen175 wrote: »
    yeah i have, its worse!! it will only connect to my wlan network, and when it is connected it still won't find a satellite.

If your not finding anything when you are searching outside, i think you will have to send it away. You might get it covered under the warranty once they dont decide it was accidental damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Davy wrote: »
    If your not finding anything when you are searching outside, i think you will have to send it away. You might get it covered under the warranty once they dont decide it was accidental damage.

well i dropped it last week, but the gps continued working up to 2 days ago. everything else works fine, as far as i know.

where is the nearest nokia service centre in north dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

everything is checked as its supposed to be in the first one.

second one is giving me 1-5 empty bars.

Used to happen to me the odd time with any GPS enabled Nokia handset that I have had. Closing the application and starting it again always worked. The odd time that it didn't, restarting the device always worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Has anyone tried this:

http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/ovi-maps

Seems to be different to the Ovi Maps 3.1 that was released today?!?

• Advertisement

where is the nearest nokia service centre in north dublin?

Fonefix are at the lidl roundabout just of the N2 at finglas. You can check the link for something that suits you better: http://www.nokia.ie/store-locator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone know how long the phone must be charged for the very first time it is plugged in...?

Started going through the thread but there are a hell of a load of messages.

P.

padair wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the phone must be charged for the very first time it is plugged in...?

Started going through the thread but there are a hell of a load of messages.

P.

Just leave it for a full charge. No need for a lengthy period. Once it beeps that its fully charged, remove it from the charger.

Davy wrote: »
    Just leave it for a full charge. No need for a lengthy period. Once it beeps that its fully charged, remove it from the charger.

Cheers for that.. :-)
    Finally getting to muck around. Bloody nice phone. Anyone got any recommendations on covers for the phone..?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

xanthor wrote: »
    So, i'm doomed to slow charging, and having to top it up regularly in order to avoid said sluggish charging :mad:
    charging from a USB socket gives a much lower charge because USB sockets are very low powered.

it just means that you're doomed to charge your n97 the same way you charged every other phone you had, i.e. via the wall socket charger as it is a lot quicker than the trickle charge that USB is able to provide.

it's not like nokia don't give you any options though, you get a USB (trickle) charging/data cable, a microUSB to nokia (new + old) charger dongle and a mains charger so you have 3 options there, assuming you have one of the 500 quintillian billion nokia chargers that are floating around on this planet. ;)

buy yourself a car charger off ebay and maybe even another mains charger if you feel the need and you're all set.

personally, i just keep my mains charger by the bed and charge mine every other night when i go to bed and it's all good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

^

Perhaps i was being a bit vague.

I'm charging from the wall socket, using the included charger, it still seems to charge at a glacial pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

^

Perhaps i was being a bit vague.

I'm charging from the wall socket, using the included charger, it still seems to charge at a glacial pace.

Are you certain it's the included charger you're using? I thought I was using the one that came with it, but I forgot it was an old Nokia charger with the adapter I was using.
    The new one has 1200mA output. Older ones have a lot less.

From empty to full takes me around 2 hours, give or take. The older charger could take 4+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

didn't see this mentioned earlier..

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/07/nokia-n97-firmware-2-0-looks-to-squash-major-pain-points/

very interesting..
    kinetic scrolling, more memory for C: , album art in music, alphabetic contacts, improved maps menu structure with Lonely Planet integration, long press for alternate keys on the keyboard..
    all round seems much better. In the vid it says that it will be out next month, but with Nokia UK delaying most of our software updates we prob won't see this for a while!!!

what are ppls thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Was initially going to get this phone but then saw the N900 and changed my mind. However as the N900 price seems a bit to much and the fact that it does not have MMS or a radio seem to be swaying back to this phone

On 02 and wont be picking up the phone till another month or so. Initially when this came out I read about all the firmware updates not great. I have flicked through this thread and it seems to be almost there but not yet

I would use the phone for net, mail, phone, radio, mms, radio, text. So what is the firmware like now that its out a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Was initially going to get this phone but then saw the N900 and changed my mind. However as the N900 price seems a bit to much and the fact that it does not have MMS or a radio seem to be swaying back to this phone

On 02 and wont be picking up the phone till another month or so. Initially when this came out I read about all the firmware updates not great. I have flicked through this thread and it seems to be almost there but not yet

I would use the phone for net, mail, phone, radio, mms, radio, text. So what is the firmware like now that its out a while?

New fw is very stable, haven't had a single restart since i upgraded, ( and that's coming from very heavy user) memory management has improved, and with all new maps and gps is getting better, it's a perfect device for me now.
    and ofcourse new fw coming next month is a huge bonus.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

so had the phone a few days now and super happy :) still on v11 (contemplating going to v12 but not sure). i am having issues with the pc though just hanging on MTP device found when i plug it in by USB and not going any further. found a link when i googled it on nokias site saying you need an old version of pc suite but you cant get it anymore :S im running xp if that makes a difference

Just checked for version 12 and it seem that it is not available for my phone. I guess I will ahve to keep checked every day..

Is anyone having any problems when they remove their headphones from the phone. When I do it, 3 out of 4 times the phone will go blank and then freeze up leaving me to remove the battery to get it going again. Royal pain in the arse. Do you think this is a hardware problem..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i got my n97 yesterday afternoon but had to go to work so no playing around with it davy&sam vines if your reading this i remember reading posts by the two of you weeks back about covers you got for the phone.
    any chance you could give me the link to it( ebay seller) also im with 3 so do i need to update the fw to v12 and does anyone know of a way i can transfer my i tunes libary onto the phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

does anyone know of a way i can transfer my i tunes libary onto the phone.

For that bit you could try this.
    http://ita.sourceforge.net/index.html

I haven't used it but it looks like what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

thanks micko i will give it a go

• Advertisement

i got my n97 yesterday afternoon but had to go to work so no playing around with it davy&sam vines if your reading this i remember reading posts by the two of you weeks back about covers you got for the phone.
    any chance you could give me the link to it( ebay seller) also im with 3 so do i need to update the fw to v12 and does anyone know of a way i can transfer my i tunes libary onto the phone.

Install the ovi software. Open the music managments app. Point toward your Itunes Library on your PC. It will setup a new library for the Nokia without duplicating the songs. Copy the songe by either dragging and dropping or by using the option.

Hope this helps.

. Do you think this is a hardware problem..?

No expert, but i'd say it certainly sounds like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Just checked for version 12 and it seem that it is not available for my phone. I guess I will ahve to keep checked every day..

Is anyone having any problems when they remove their headphones from the phone. When I do it, 3 out of 4 times the phone will go blank and then freeze up leaving me to remove the battery to get it going again. Royal pain in the arse. Do you think this is a hardware problem..?

That's shortage of Ram, you are running lots of prograame at a time, try re-installing the fw, if doesn't work try hard reset, definately not a hardware problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got one from ebay and it was carp, wouldn't recommend it.

it last about a week before the clips broke off (didn't drop it at all) and it was hanging loose.

also, it kept getting pocket lint under the front edge next to the screen which kept throwingoff the touchscreen making it very hard to touch icons at the edge of the screen.

i WOULD recommend you get screen protectors though.

the nokia one that came with it was scratched withing a couple of weeks, but the new ones i got (a 6 pack) are great and i'm still on the first one which has been on since i took the nokia one off back in july (or whenever it was i got the phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Thanks for this...ovi store not listed under installed apps. Do I assume that the icon is a dummy with no app behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

strecker wrote: »
    go to app manager; highlight ovi; option; suite settings... Check if it is 'allowed' to go online!

Sorry - missed quote - same question as above...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Dermoth wrote: »
    Thanks for this...ovi store not listed under installed apps. Do I assume that the icon is a dummy with no app behind it?

oops, my fault! Even my working ovi is NOT LISTED in apps manager. I just ass-umed...
    Hm...strange.

On a different note: just noticed the pdf reader is only a 15 day trial!!! Shame on you, nokia!!! Your 'flagship', eh?!

Are there any decent third party browsers for this yet?

The included browser is clunky, and both Opera Mini 3 and 4.2 will install, but do little after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The included browser is clunky, and both Opera Mini 3 and 4.2 will install, but do little after that.

Opera Mini v4 works fine on mine. I'm only using it on wireless networks though. I've deleted all options for using the 3G network as my price plan is crap so I don't know if it has a problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Are there any decent third party browsers for this yet?

hm....typing this via opera mini 4.2 - no probs(dito 3.1)!!!
    Bolt works ok also - is not quite as fast as om but faster than nokia's webkitter! But methinks you oughta check 1st why om doesn't work. Coz it should.
    There's a great om mod but I don't know if I'm allowed to link to that here.
    Also @digiaweb is a new browser, but it's crashing a lot/still in beta.
    i also stumbled across a working version of ucweb, but so far no download link's worked for me

Advertisement