Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Hype definitely isn't at the same level as for the N95 but that was revolutionary at the time and to my mind still stands up pretty well in spec terms. If 3 do the n97 I'll probably go with it but actually like what I have seen of the Omnia much more.

I agree that the OmniaHD is a more appealing handset; with the lack of keyboard being the only caveat. The AMOLED screen, 720p video recording, increased ram and faster processor make for an extremely interesting device when compared against the N97. I guess we won't know until they're both readily available and there's some user feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

....If 3 do the n97 I'll probably go with it...
    does that mean they've sorted out their data issues then?

been hearing nightmare stories about them not being able to manage mobile data at all and being as that would be one of the main selling points of the n97 i'd be worried that they wouldn't have the back end stable enough for it to get the access it deserves.

or are they sorted out now?

incidentally, i was giving out to expansys cos they had the estimated UK shipping as 6 days and ireland as 16 days and i wanted to know why that was. they apologised and said it should ship the same time and they've fixed the website to say that on the estimate page on the irish site which is good.

now i'm giving out about the €100 premium on the .ie site and free £30 voucher on the UK site that's not on the IE one so we'll see where that gets us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I have no issues now with them - at the start it was a nightmare. Tech support and customer service are lousy, there's no two ways about it but if you're lucky enough not to have any technical issues that they need to sort (i.e. they set you up properly at first) then they are fine.

Best value data plans out there at the moment as far as I can see.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    does that mean they've sorted out their data issues then?

been hearing nightmare stories about them not being able to manage mobile data at all and being as that would be one of the main selling points of the n97 i'd be worried that they wouldn't have the back end stable enough for it to get the access it deserves.

or are they sorted out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I suppose it depends what you do most with your handset - for me the screen is the clincher - even in poor quality Youtube videos, the Omnia display looks so much clearer not to mention the size difference.
    Davy wrote: »
    Why much more?

Capacitive touchscreen, HSDPA is 7.2 Mbps rather than 3.6 on the nokia, and a better camera on the 8910 is beaten by a full Qwerty keyboard on n97, oh its not a samsung :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desyd

I saw that today but i was wandering can you order it from expansys.co.uk for the £500 price as they deliver any where in europe? Has any one tryed this?

I have no issues now with them - at the start it was a nightmare. Tech support and customer service are lousy, there's no two ways about it but if you're lucky enough not to have any technical issues that they need to sort (i.e. they set you up properly at first) then they are fine.

Best value data plans out there at the moment as far as I can see.
    good to know, thanks. :)
    desyd wrote: »
    I saw that today but i was wandering can you order it from expansys.co.uk for the £500 price as they deliver any where in europe? Has any one tryed this?
    i already mailed the sales department to ask, i'll post when i get an answer from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The black N97 is £499 delivered to ROI from gummobile.com using GUM10 as a promo code to get £10 off. Think its the cheapest option available and meant to be despatching june 18th.

Checked the code and is working, hope its of use to someone.

Has any one every used gummobile.com? and if so whats the service like? seems they sell all there phones on ebay aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am genuinely torn between this and the Samsung Omni HD.. The more I read about the Samsung, the more I want it.

• Advertisement

I am genuinely torn between this and the Samsung Omni HD.. The more I read about the Samsung, the more I want it.

What features of the N97 has you thinking it could suit your needs better than the OmniaHD?

Ye im in the same boat as you. but think i will go with the n97. Its cheaper has qwerty keyboard and memory is really lacking on the samsung especially if your going to have HD videos on it.

tbh i'm still a little disappointed that the n97 keyboard isn't offset like a regular keyboard and also that the camera is the same as on the n96, i was hoping they'd have moved up from the 5mp lens from the n95 by now, and was expecting that it might be time for them to try a better flash (poss. quad and maybe more powerful?) given that the n96 was still getting a lot of flak for it's poor flash performance.

i'm still going to order one on monday though, i plan on going with expansys (UK, not IE) as someone from there replied to me about the ETA for ireland and that they've made several changes to their stock and shipping practices to ensure a minimum difference between shipping to the UK and Ireland. just waiting to hear back from sales now to see if they're going to sort out the 100 price difference. :)

Rsaeire wrote: »
    What features of the N97 has you thinking it could suit your needs better than the OmniaHD?

Memory and Nokia are the main ones. I am not sure whether I will make use of the qwerty keyboard on the N97 though.

Memory and Nokia are the main ones. I am not sure whether I will make use of the qwerty keyboard on the N97 though.

To be honest, mid to high-end Nokia and Samsung handsets, in my experience, are generally all equal when it comes to build quality so, if this is what you were referring to, I wouldn't be worried. Also, the OmniaHD comes with either 8GB or 16GB of internal memory as well as a microSD card slot, so memory shouldn't be much of an issue either.

i was just about to go and order off expansys this morning, but did a quick search for voucher codes (always a good idea) and found a thread on boards from a while back referring to THIS site that i doing a £5 voucher for £20 orders and a £10 voucher for £40 orders.

I've been through the ordering process and the code I got sent works fine, so if you did order from them (from the UK site, who do deliver to Ireland and are about €100 cheaper than the .ie site) it's an extra £10 off, PLUS they give you a £30 voucher when you order to buy accessories from their site for it too. :)

having said that, the thread where they posted the offer seems to have a lot of people having issues with them so now I'm not so sure if I should buy it off them or go somewhere else. :(

i was just about to go and order off expansys this morning, but did a quick search for voucher codes (always a good idea) and found a thread on boards from a while back referring to THIS site that i doing a £5 voucher for £20 orders and a £10 voucher for £40 orders.

I've been through the ordering process and the code I got sent works fine, so if you did order from them (from the UK site, who do deliver to Ireland and are about €100 cheaper than the .ie site) it's an extra £10 off, PLUS they give you a £30 voucher when you order to buy accessories from their site for it too. :)

having said that, the thread where they posted the offer seems to have a lot of people having issues with them so now I'm not so sure if I should buy it off them or go somewhere else. :(

Well just ordered with expansys.com (uk one) price works out at 630 cause they charge you our vat rat at the end (i used a £10 voucher aswell thanks for the link). But still alot cheaper than getting it from the irish site

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Just off the phone with 3 regarding an upgrade and they informed me the N97 will be available next month. No date or price. This is the first solid confirmation I got from 3. For a comparison the N97 will be available on 3UK for free with a £35 on a 18 month contract and apparently £350 PAYG. (Not sure about that when N96 is €490 PAYG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

3 told me the same last month, except it was for a june release, but live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

So will the N95 8gb now be phased out or at least is it wishful thinking that will the prices go through the floor for it?
    Just in case the N97 is beyond my wallet...
    Vodafone stores have stopped stocking the N95 8gb it seems anyways.

• Advertisement

Well just ordered with expansys.com (uk one) price works out at 630 cause they charge you our vat rat at the end (i used a £10 voucher aswell thanks for the link). But still alot cheaper than getting it from the irish site

That is big bucks :|

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

gummobile increased the price to £505 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

SQ2 wrote: »
    So will the N95 8gb now be phased out or at least is it wishful thinking that will the prices go through the floor for it?
    Just in case the N97 is beyond my wallet...
    Vodafone stores have stopped stocking the N95 8gb it seems anyways.
    Meteor have the N95 8GB and Vodafone have relaunched it! Its about €100 more expensive than when I bought it from them a year ago. Voda have a shockingly bad line up of smartphones. Can't believe they didnt get the N97. O2 rumoured to be getting Palm Pre also! What have Voda? BB Storm II?? whoop de doo. try adverts.ie for an N95 if you want a cheap(er) one.

When I ordered today from them I was charged UK VAT @ 15% and a grand total of £503 inc. delivery (to Dublin) which is €596 all in.

When I ordered today from them I was charged UK VAT @ 15% and a grand total of £503 inc. delivery (to Dublin) which is €596 all in.

Ye thats what it says on the site but the email you get says the real price lol must be some laws against it but it does warn you in terms and conditions.so i was charged €630

Ye thats what it says on the site but the email you get says the real price lol must be some laws against it but it does warn you in terms and conditions.so i was charged €630
    sorry to disappoint, but i took that info from my confirmation email, not the site.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Just Ordered Mine from expansys, Paid €610 all together and also used the vocher, thanks for that. They say estimated dispatch 2 days so that means we should get it by friday?
    does anybody know this?

sbhatia wrote: »
    Just Ordered Mine from expansys, Paid €610 all together and also used the vocher, thanks for that. They say estimated dispatch 2 days so that means we should get it by friday?
    does anybody know this?
    what was the sterling price on your order confirmation email?

I got a mail from expansys about the estimated shipping date to say they're optimising their inventory so that they can ship the phones ASAP as soon as they have them with minimal time between them receiving them and sending them back out to the pre-orders and also mentioned that they have ample stocks ordered to keep up with demand.

i have the email at home though, so i'll dig it out tonight and post the details of exactly what they said in case my brain is a little fuzzy on the details. i think i got the gist of it anyway.

if you're upgrading from a n95 8gb like myself, then THIS crowd in the UK will give you £140 (€165) for your old phone, which is probably better than you'll do selling it to a mate or on ebay. you might need a UK address to send the payment to, I'm not sure (haven't done it it) but it might be a handy way to make a few quid off your old mobile. i might even have some other old phones laying around somewhere that could be used too. :)

I got a mail from expansys about the estimated shipping date to say they're optimising their inventory so that they can ship the phones ASAP as soon as they have them with minimal time between them receiving them and sending them back out to the pre-orders and also mentioned that they have ample stocks ordered to keep up with demand.

i have the email at home though, so i'll dig it out tonight and post the details of exactly what they said in case my brain is a little fuzzy on the details. i think i got the gist of it anyway.

if you're upgrading from a n95 8gb like myself, then THIS crowd in the UK will give you £140 (€165) for your old phone, which is probably better than you'll do selling it to a mate or on ebay. you might need a UK address to send the payment to, I'm not sure (haven't done it it) but it might be a handy way to make a few quid off your old mobile. i might even have some other old phones laying around somewhere that could be used too. :)

The Sterling Price was 505.51 ( just to be precise :) ) after using the vocher.
    And thanks again for the link, but i am upgrading from Nokia 5800 which is less than month old and i am planning to give it to my bro.
    i hope i get it by friday as wait is killing me now.

• Advertisement

Also if you want to sell Your Nokia n95 8gb , Try adverts , they are selling for around €200 depends on condition, which might save you hassle to post.

Advertisement