Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Opera Mini v4 works fine on mine. I'm only using it on wireless networks though. I've deleted all options for using the 3G network as my price plan is crap so I don't know if it has a problem with that.

nah, om works fine via vodafone live ap, isp-ap wifi...
    If om installs but doesn't work, it's either the wrong version entirely or the phone's settings are entirely wrong.
    OP, can you explain what you mean exactly by 'not doing much' after install!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

strecker wrote: »
    nah, om works fine via vodafone live ap, isp-ap wifi...
    If om installs but doesn't work, it's either the wrong version entirely or the phone's settings are entirely wrong.
    OP, can you explain what you mean exactly by 'not doing much' after install!?!

4 fails connection test on install
    3 hangs, and a directional key pad pops up on the screen which i can't seem to get rid of :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

xanthor wrote: »
    4 fails connection test on install
    3 hangs, and a directional key pad pops up on the screen which i can't seem to get rid of :confused:
    Make sure you are installing Multiple certificate one, if you have installed with "No signature" might give you problem.
    To install with multiple cert operamini.com from your phone and click on "if the version fail to install" and install from there.

about direction key pad, go to app manager then opera mini, option and suite setting, turn it off from there.

^ Just gave the multi sig version a try, still get the error message about failing to conenct to the Intnernet.

^ Just gave the multi sig version a try, still get the error message about failing to conenct to the Intnernet.

Can you access the net from inbuilt browser?

• Advertisement

Went into suite settings: Working fine now - thanks

I've another question: Is it possible to specify which Access Point is used when i open Opera - can't see such an option in suite settings?

Thanks

I've another question: Is it possible to specify which Access Point is used when i open Opera - can't see such an option in suite settings?

Thanks

Go to suite setting and first option is Acess point, if you want wifi to be used at home and network out then select none,
    else choose from the list it gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Hey guys has anyone downloaded mobbler for the n97 ? For some reason when i try to load it up nothing happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone know how to get the phone to ask what connection it wants to use everytime it trys to conncet to the Web

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

padair wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get the phone to ask what connection it wants to use everytime it trys to conncet to the Web

You can do it going to:

Web app > settings > general > Access point > and select 'Ask when needed'

jobs oxo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Has anyone tried this:

http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/ovi-maps

Seems to be different to the Ovi Maps 3.1 that was released today?!?

I just installed this on mine. I was having problems with the GPS since upgrading to V3. Now the GPS is found after about 30 seconds and the satellite signal is up in the 80% - 90% range of the bar. Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

ok have my n97 a couple of months now.Got it about a week after release.Uk simfree ,change product code and on v12 fw.I love the phone but the coverage really sucks. i use primarily for business and just so sick of the lack of coverage quality compared to my n95.i started a post on nokia forum
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&thread.id=144913&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

and 4 pages of ppl agreeing with me . think im going to off load it now and just wondering what would yee suggest as a replacement.Again something smatphoney with a touchscreen ,gps, podcast and a decent camera.

I presume fw 2.0 will not address the coverage issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I was seriously considering waiting for the Hero, or G2. I kind of want an android device. The inbuilt scripting enviroment is cool I think.

So maybe you could look into a HTC Hero or HTC Magic.

gearoidol wrote: »
    ok have my n97 a couple of months now.Got it about a week after release.Uk simfree ,change product code and on v12 fw.I love the phone but the coverage really sucks. i use primarily for business and just so sick of the lack of coverage quality compared to my n95.i started a post on nokia forum
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&thread.id=144913&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

and 4 pages of ppl agreeing with me . think im going to off load it now and just wondering what would yee suggest as a replacement.Again something smatphoney with a touchscreen ,gps, podcast and a decent camera.

I presume fw 2.0 will not address the coverage issues

I have no issue at all with coverage, did you try same network with another phone in same place? i had n958gb and 5800 before and can say that coverage is same if not better.
    Well if you want to change N900 is better option and before it release you will have time to play with FW 2.0 if that makes it any better.

deep1 wrote: »
    had n958gb and 5800 before and can say that coverage is same if not better.

+1 had an N958Gb until last Sunday. Overall coverage is at least the same, and 3G coverage is noticably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Brought my n97 to the nokia data centre in Artane to see if my GPS issues can be fixed! so now im bored and n97less for the next week or so! :(

allen175 wrote: »
    Brought my n97 to the nokia data centre in Artane to see if my GPS issues can be fixed! so now im bored and n97less for the next week or so! :(

There seem to be lots of articles over net about GPS issue, I bought from expansys on release date so thats's first batch and as everyone i was having serious problem with GPS but not for once i thought it could be hardware problem as people said.
    N95 8gb had similar issues which were fixed with FW upgrades.
    this ovi maps http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/ovi-maps
    has fixed my GPS and it's working as it should, i have read 100's of times on the net, people even got replacement from nokia and same prob, so i don't think it will solve much problem as they will only give you back same N97 with re-install of fw.
    did you try new maps at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Yeah i tried everything!! even some of the quick fixes on the internet, nothing worked, this was a last resort!

But i have just realised one major problem, i never changed the product code back to the original after updating!!! :eek: Lets hope to God they don't notice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy the N97 on Vodafone Pay monthly but I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting for the v2.0 firmware to come out before buying?
    Or will it be easy enough to upgrade the firmware from v1.2 to v2.0 if I buy it now?

I've been reading this thread and it seems like people on O2 have been waiting ages just to upgrade to v1.2.
    Are Vodafone as slow to release the firmware upgrades as O2?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy the N97 on Vodafone Pay monthly but I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting for the v2.0 firmware to come out before buying?
    Or will it be easy enough to upgrade the firmware from v1.2 to v2.0 if I buy it now?

I've been reading this thread and it seems like people on O2 have been waiting ages just to upgrade to v1.2.
    Are Vodafone as slow to release the firmware upgrades as O2?

Even if you wait for V2.0 to release it could be atleast 3 months before Vodafone ships N97 with new fw,
    i think your best bet is buy it now and wait for V2.0 to release and upgrade it once vodafone release it ( or debrand it and get it same day) which could be in 1 month.
    It's very easy to upgrade , just run the Nokia software updater and will take about 10-15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

Even if you wait for V2.0 to release it could be atleast 3 months before Vodafone ships N97 with new fw,
    i think your best bet is buy it now and wait for V2.0 to release and upgrade it once vodafone release it ( or debrand it and get it same day) which could be in 1 month.
    It's very easy to upgrade , just run the Nokia software updater and will take about 10-15 mins.

I was thinking that any stock Vodafone gets, after the upgrade is released, will ship with the v2.0 firmware. Where as they might take much longer to release their version of the v2.0 firmware to existing customers.
    Would I be wrong in that thinking?

I could've sworn my N97 isn't Voafone branded, i may be wrong though.

I was thinking that any stock Vodafone gets, after the upgrade is released, will ship with the v2.0 firmware. Where as they might take much longer to release their version of the v2.0 firmware to existing customers.
    Would I be wrong in that thinking?

That's if and then.
    According to my Friend in vodafone they have enough stock so i really don't know how long will it take them to get N97 with FW 2.0.
    I have a feeling they might just discontinue N97 all together and sell N97 mini.
    But i think you have nothing to loose, while you are waiting for FW 2.0 buy 1 with 12.0 ( it's not bad) and play till you get new fw.

I could've sworn my N97 isn't Voafone branded, i may be wrong though.

It could be silly but,
    First Lot is mostly unbranded ( same thing with N95 8gb , even they had spider man movie and 1 year free navigation) then they start getting branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

@jhonny rambo

at present VF are shipping the n97 unbranded, that will change very soon..

i have no issues with the currant Firmware that is installed on my VF N97 (v1.2xxx)

when the new firmware comes it will straightforward in upgrading.....

great fone!!!!!

cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Still no update available for the UK version :( am still running v11.0.21

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Still no update available for the UK version :( am still running v11.0.21

I think you should meet NSS :)

Davy wrote: »
    I think you should meet NSS :)

Or His elder brother JAF.:D

• Advertisement