Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

meteor have this now for 299. If cpw is still doin trade in then ya can get it for 199. Pretty good...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Davy wrote: »
    I think you should meet NSS :)

Hmmm I am seriously considering it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hmmm I am seriously considering it alright.

You should, its crazy waiting this long. I was going to wait, but dont regret changing it.

I posted earlier in the thread a bit of a step by step, with a link to download the latest version of the nss for the n97.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I think you should meet NSS :)
    dude, seriously. it's hardly worth going to up to a space station to get the FW upgraded. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

vibe666 wrote: »
    dude, seriously. it's hardly worth going to up to a space station to get the FW upgraded. :p

Did you mix up NSS(Nemesis Software Suite) with the ISS (International Space Station);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Just got mine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

anyone else have the issue on install where it constantly hangs on "new device found" with an MTB (think thats it) device and wont go any further?

did some searching online and it seems to be only an issue with the new version of pc suite but damned if i can find the old version anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Just got mine from an insurance claim. Went from N95 8g to this.

Not sure what to think. I think I'd be disappointed if I payed for it (only my opinion).

So far....

Pros vs N95 8gb
    -Great screen
    -Qwerty keyboard
    -Touchscreen
    -Memory huge (although can't believe the small allocation to the system drive)
    -Cover on camera
    -FM transmitter
    -Some great new apps

Cons vs N95 8gb
    -Speaker on the phone is TERRIBLE. Try and compare it to a 5800. the difference is laughable.
    -OS is a bit flakey on doing anything that pushes it.
    -The handset is very big.
    -Soft touch answer buttons are not great. It's a phone, I want a big answer button without have to slide the screen or unlock the phone. The slide open/answer on the N95 was ideal.
    -Uses the USB connector for power.
    -Randomly plays different ringtones
    -Have to touch a lot of the icons more than twice to open them.

I have the latest firmware V12.0.024. Maybe the next revision will address some of the above.
    Hopefully I will add to the Pros list after using it for a bit longer.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Alright folks...
    I was trying to get a movie transfered from my mates phone to mine via bluetooth and it was telling me I had memory issues.. WTF.. I have every application closed and I ahve been installing everything onto Mass Media. Just checked my Phone memory and it is only 38.1MB. Why is the space reducing even though I keep installing everything onto my Mass Media.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

padair wrote: »
    Alright folks...
    I was trying to get a movie transfered from my mates phone to mine via bluetooth and it was telling me I had memory issues.. WTF.. I have every application closed and I ahve been installing everything onto Mass Media. Just checked my Phone memory and it is only 38.1MB. Why is the space reducing even though I keep installing everything onto my Mass Media.

P.

Memory issue it's telling you is Ram memory, fresh restart will sort out the problem.

eventhough you install everything on Masss but some registry files still has to be on C:, 38 mb is very good space, i have 43mb but know few who has less than 1 mb.

• Advertisement

deep1 wrote: »
    Memory issue it's telling you is Ram memory, fresh restart will sort out the problem.

eventhough you install everything on Masss but some registry files still has to be on C:, 38 mb is very good space, i have 43mb but know few who has less than 1 mb.

Cheers for that. How much memory should there be on the restart..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Cheers for that. How much memory should there be on the restart..?

I used to get 24mb but after deleting Handy shell and No online widget from homescreen getting about 38Mb, which is good enough and more than enought to run Lots of programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Adam anto wrote: »
    Just got mine from an insurance claim. Went from N95 8g to this.

Not sure what to think. I think I'd be disappointed if I payed for it (only my opinion).

So far....

-Uses the USB connector for power.

A

Why is the usb a con? And from next year it will be standard on all makes and all new model phones to use micro usb as the power connector.

And the double touch thing takes a bit of getting used to but I can see why it is used in alot of places.

And the N95 was terrible software wise when it first came out. So the N97 is no different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Cons vs N95 8gb
    -OS is a bit flakey on doing anything that pushes it.
    -Soft touch answer buttons are not great. It's a phone, I want a big answer button without have to slide the screen or unlock the phone. The slide open/answer on the N95 was ideal.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. When I did I had the same feelings as you for the points above. For the first one I updated to V12 (no help to you though) and it seems a lot more solid.
    For the second two it just took a couple of days and now I've no probs and I was thinking this morning it's the best phone I've ever had (disclaimer: I don't work for Nokia)

My only niggle now is the battery. When you spend all day on WiFi and playing podcasts and using the GPS the battery doesn't last much longer than a day (not a huge niggle, I know). I was driving the other day totally in the GPSs hands and the battery went dead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Hey guys, I just picked mine up this morning. €250 on O2, including €100 for my old N95 8Gb. Fairly happy so far as I’m just playing with it.

One issue I am having is that the camera doesn’t see to be working at all. When I open the shutter the camera application will load and I can switch between primary and secondary camera and switch to video mode but no picture is coming up. I managed to record a video but all that came up was audio.

It’s a Black version on O2 and running FW 10.0.012.
    NSU says no update available.

Cheers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

sounds like a faulty camera? tried to do a factory reset?

Just trying that now, this’ll really piss me off if it doesn’t work.

Nice 1 splinter, back in business!

irlmarc wrote: »
    Why is the usb a con? And from next year it will be standard on all makes and all new model phones to use micro usb as the power connector.

And the double touch thing takes a bit of getting used to but I can see why it is used in alot of places.

And the N95 was terrible software wise when it first came out. So the N97 is no different.

I totally agree with you.. If there was no double touch,there would be a hell of a lot more people getting annoyed with the phone opening the incorrect apps.

irlmarc wrote: »

The power connector thing gets to me. They went from the large connector to the small one just when I had all charging options sorted (car, house, work). now that I sorted they change it again. I know I have an adapter but you can be sure I will loose that. My wife has the 5800 so we both have different connections.

I take on board the double touch thing and stick with it for a while.

• Advertisement

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. When I did I had the same feelings as you for the points above. For the first one I updated to V12 (no help to you though) and it seems a lot more solid.
    For the second two it just took a couple of days and now I've no probs and I was thinking this morning it's the best phone I've ever had (disclaimer: I don't work for Nokia)

My only niggle now is the battery. When you spend all day on WiFi and playing podcasts and using the GPS the battery doesn't last much longer than a day (not a huge niggle, I know). I was driving the other day totally in the GPSs hands and the battery went dead :D

Keeping an open mind and will see how I go.

I know what you mean about the battery but the new maps are a great improvement. I have a new voice to argue with in the car.

Keeping an open mind and will see how I go.

I know what you mean about the battery but the new maps are a great improvement. I have a new voice to argue with in the car.

Do you have to pay for the maps natsat..?

Do you have to pay for the maps natsat..?

It costs about €70 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Silly question here, I've had the phone a month and haven't figured out a quick way of getting a comma when writing a text. I'm not using prediction and the way I do it now is by pressing the sym key and selecting the comma. Any quicker ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Silly question here, I've had the phone a month and haven't figured out a quick way of getting a comma when writing a text. I'm not using prediction and the way I do it now is by pressing the sym key and selecting the comma. Any quicker ways?

Taping the '1' button

The power connector thing gets to me. They went from the large connector to the small one just when I had all charging options sorted (car, house, work). now that I sorted they change it again. I know I have an adapter but you can be sure I will loose that. My wife has the 5800 so we both have different connections.
    it was the same thing when nokia went from the large to the small power adapter, but everyone has them now.

the problem they have is that they signed up to a scheme that all the major phone mf's signed up to that will mean every make and model of phone produced in europe from next year will have the same microUSB connector on it to charge the phone.

by this time next year you won't be able to walk 10 feet without tripping over one of these things. just think of it as a means to an end. :)

anyway, just do what I did and buy a couple of each (car/usb/plug) off ebay for a quid or so each and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Taping the '1' button

Cant do that in landscape mode though!

Have this problem myself when lookin for a comma...surprised they dont have it as one of the secondary symbols on the keys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Cant do that in landscape mode though!

Have this problem myself when lookin for a comma...surprised they dont have it as one of the secondary symbols on the keys

It's on mine. It's shift & full stop when in landscape mode.

It's on mine. It's shift & full stop when in landscape mode.
    indeedy. in between the "L" and "Enter" keys.

it looks like a semi colon if you're not paying attention, but that's actually the blue function key and "K". :)

• Advertisement

I was on the phone to the 3 technical support asking them when they would be getting the latest firmware version (12).

Their answer, We are give the firmware from the manufacturer and they will never be updating it. Now, am I missing something. Why would they never update the firmware? or was the person I was chatting to chatting bollox.

Is it hard to get the latest version of the firmware myself and update it?

Advertisement