Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Changing the product code is only option to get the updaate and all the future updates on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

deep1 wrote: »
    Changing the product code is only option to get the updaate and all the future updates on time.

Can this brick the phone, and if it does is it recoverable without having to send it some where.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

that has been driving me nuts! cheers

padair wrote: »
    Can this brick the phone, and if it does is it recoverable without having to send it some where.

If you change it to right Product code then no It won't brick phone, For example if you have Rm 505 then only change it to RM 505 product code not Rm 507, go few pages back all info is there or search net for NSS or jaf and also search n97 product codes.( diff model for white and black)
    Even if you managed to brick it, i think you can still do Hard reset it without sending it to nokia care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

deep1 wrote: »
    If you change it to right Product code then no It won't brick phone, For example if you have Rm 505 then only change it to RM 505 product code not Rm 507, go few pages back all info is there or search net for NSS or jaf and also search n97 product codes.( diff model for white and black)
    Even if you managed to brick it, i think you can still do Hard reset it without sending it to nokia care.

Thanks.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you are at all worried about changing the product code yourself, just take it to a nokia service centre and ask them to do it for you.

someone a few pages back did that and as it's an official nokia service centre the work will be guaranteed and won't invalidate your warranty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

vibe666 wrote: »
    indeedy. in between the "L" and "Enter" keys.

it looks like a semi colon if you're not paying attention, but that's actually the blue function key and "K". :)

Ahhh nice 1, i did indeed think it was a semi colon....cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lads i just updated to v12 via the nokia site problem i have now is the phone wont power up any ideas im going through the nokia site at the moment havent found any thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mine did that too. Gave me a heart attack.

You've got to hard reset.

Press the following four keys and hold down until the phone starts to power up.
    Power Button + Space Bar + Caps Shift Bar + Delete button

You're going to lose any data that was on it before the reset.

thanks for that mick its back up and running(well at least the screen is on)

• Advertisement

lads is there anyone on the 3 network who has updated there n97 to v12 and if so how can you get planet 3 skype & msn back onto the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

lads is there anyone on the 3 network who has updated there n97 to v12 and if so how can you get planet 3 skype & msn back onto the phone.

click this link from your phone, and it will take you to planet 3. Got V12 then ;)

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey/

yeah davy i managed to download it from the nokia site also got the head phones working im having probems with nokia maps though.

it wont show my position i was in with 3 today and was told to contact tech boys in mumbai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

yeah davy i managed to download it from the nokia site also got the head phones working im having probems with nokia maps though.

it wont show my position i was in with 3 today and was told to contact tech boys in mumbai

Look through here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532927&page=96 and then next next few pages.

I had trouble with mine to i sent it off to get fixed, it is still away and i haven't recieved any updates yet, i hope to have it back in the next few days. but i will update on here if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can be a few things to this. Often the first uses are the worst it seems.

First thing to check is Menu > applications > Location > Gps data > options > satellite status. The more bars, and the more filled the better. If you dont get any you have a problem and the phone would have to be sent to check the reviver. Do this check outdoors, and give it a few minutes.

i reckon it could be the phone davy im not even getting 3g coverage only 2 signal bars at the most i have swithched back to the n73 getting full 3g coverage.

i have tried the link you posted for the 3 settings doesent seem to work when i talked to 3 today the lad in the call centre said i could send it back and get a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

vibe666 wrote: »
    indeedy. in between the "L" and "Enter" keys.

it looks like a semi colon if you're not paying attention, but that's actually the blue function key and "K". :)

I didn't think it was a semi-colon, but i've only been trying to select the comma using the bottom right key, not the shift key. Got it now, thanks.

I had that problem too with V3. And then found I couldn't go back to V2. I downloaded the beta version from Nokia labs and the GPS works much better (for me).
    http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/ovi-maps

hi all i just noticed since i updated to v12 the 3 operator logo is gone does that mean i could use a vf/ 02 sim in it?

hi all i just noticed since i updated to v12 the 3 operator logo is gone does that mean i could use a vf/ 02 sim in it?

No. You've just debranded it. You haven't unlocked it. On O2 the debranding removes the O2 from the bottom right and changes it to Contacts.

• Advertisement

thats what happened with mine mick where the planet 3 button was is now the contacts button.

i have spent over on hour on the phone to tech support i cant get normal coverage never mind 3g were if if i use my n73 i get full coverage:confused:
    i thought by updating to v 12 the coverage might get better they have since called me back and said that they will replace the handset with a new one.

which means im back to v11 has anyone had problems with the signal strenght? and how do you go about getting operator firmware i.e plannet3 skype etc downloaded onto the handset

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

Has anyone bought theirs off Vodafone recently?
    Has it been branded or are they still selling them unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

The more I play with this phone the more I love it, I’m just slightly annoyed o2 hasn’t pushed through the latest FW.
    I was thinking of changing the product code but scared sh1tless of bricking the phone.
    Does anyone know if there is a Nokia repair centre or somewhere I can get it done (without voiding my warranty) anywhere near Roscommon?

Also, is there a log that shows the amount of time spent on the phone, texts sent, data downloaded on the N97 like there was on the N95?
    I’m a little bit nervous about going over my 256mb allowance with o2.
    Cheers

T
    Also, is there a log that shows the amount of time spent on the phone, texts sent, data downloaded on the N97 like there was on the N95?
    I’m a little bit nervous about going over my 256mb allowance with o2.
    Cheers

Same Log app is there in Application, I use my phone for browsing a lot, with opera mini and never used more than 250 Mb, i use wifi at home though, You might consider 1gb data add-on, i seriously hope o2 offer something similar like meteor data add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Thanks Deep1, another quick question. It's a packet data counter, is that just traffic over 3G or does that also in WiFi traffic?

Thanks Deep1, another quick question. It's a packet data counter, is that just traffic over 3G or does that also in WiFi traffic?

it's for both.
    I keep track of my package through o2 website.
    Have you used opera mini, if not try new beta, it works beautiful on n97.

I just got mine on the new meteor surf package.
    I'm loving it already and I've meteor 3 g coverage full bars down here in the sticks just west of arklow :D

The phone has asked me do I want to check for software updates-I presume I should do this on wifi ? how big will the file be and what is the latest firmware and how do I check this?

cheers :)

The phone has asked me do I want to check for software updates-I presume I should do this on wifi ? how big will the file be and what is the latest firmware and how do I check this?

cheers :)

To check for new fw dial *#0000#, latest few is 12.0.024.
    Over the air it's only 6mb on pc it's over 120 Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Has anyone bought theirs off Vodafone recently?
    Has it been branded or are they still selling them unlocked?

Bought mine from on VF from Carphone Warehouse Sunday before last.

Unbranded, and unlocked too.

• Advertisement

i gave my one back to 3 today(they reckon its faulty could hardly get a signal)should have new one by tomorrow.

hopefully the signal strenght is better miss not playing around with it allready

Advertisement