Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did they not have one in stock to give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Davy wrote: »
    Did they not have one in stock to give you?

i went straight to the distributer davy if had of gone to a 3 store i would be waiting about a week thats if they would entertain me.

Hi folks.
    It's probably buried deep in this thread somewhere but how do you tell the phone to surf on wifi only?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Got one of these yesterday and the battery died for the first time earlier. So plugged it in, it's been charging for hours (white light is flashing), but it won't turn on. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

vibe666 wrote: »

i WOULD recommend you get screen protectors though.

I bought the same 6 based on your link. How did you manage to get it on without getting air bubbles under the screen protector???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

JonThom wrote: »
    Got one of these yesterday and the battery died for the first time earlier. So plugged it in, it's been charging for hours (white light is flashing), but it won't turn on. Any ideas?

If you've plugged it in using USB or the Nokia adapter (to use older type chargers) it takes ages to get full charge. The USB power adapter should only take a couple of hours. The white lite goes out when it's fully charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

If you've plugged it in using USB or the Nokia adapter (to use older type chargers) it takes ages to get full charge. The USB power adapter should only take a couple of hours. The white lite goes out when it's fully charged.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm using the Nokia adapter to plug it into the mains using a slim charger that I had with my N95. It won't turn on at all though, and it's been plugged in for hours. Hmm.

Edit: Am now using an ancient Nokia charger I found lying around the office, and have got the phone to charge. The charging light is staying on, whereas it was flickering when I used the slim charger.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

JonThom wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Am now using an ancient Nokia charger I found lying around the office, and have got the phone to charge. The charging light is staying on, whereas it was flickering when I used the slim charger.

Thanks again.

Old charger doesn't work for some reason, if you look at the screen it says Charging then after few seconds Not charging. That's what happens with me anyway.

PH4T wrote: »
    I bought the same 6 based on your link. How did you manage to get it on without getting air bubbles under the screen protector???

Try this they don't leave any bubble.
    http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200364069608
    you have to be bit careful when applying anyway.

I bought 1 from Zagg, very good protecter, bit exepnsive and pain to apply but looks great and comes with lifetime warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was a bit of a monster for laminating just about everything I ever owned as a kid, so I've got the knack for it. :)

you need to make sure the screen itself is ultra clean with no crap or grease on it and then peel off one side of the backing on the protector (it's normally labelled) and just start at the bottom and hold the other end in the same position you would if you were in the middle of pulling an old one off so there is a noticeable backwards bend in the screen protector so that only the end you just stuck on is stuck to the screen then just slowly lay it down onto the screen, running your thumb back and forth in a line from side to side to make sure any small bubbles are pushed out before they get a chance to get trapped under it for good.

once you're all the way up, double check your work and make sure you didn't miss anything. if you did, you should be able to pull it 90% off again and give it another go without causing any issues.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    once you're all the way up, double check your work and make sure you didn't miss anything. if you did, you should be able to pull it 90% off again and give it another go without causing any issues.

FFS I have gone through 3 of the 6 already and the bubbles are getting worse!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

FFS I have gone through 3 of the 6 already and the bubbles are getting worse!!! :mad:

i went through about 3 aswell before i got it right, make sure that it isn't too big in one of the corners, i found that with mine and just cut the smallest bit off the corner and fits perfect no bubbles.

Hi folks.
    It's probably buried deep in this thread somewhere but how do you tell the phone to surf on wifi only?

Thanks.

Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Destinations > then in 'internet', delete all the connections about from the wlan connection. You can copy them into another destination, and name in 'network connections' or whatever. Pm me or reply here if you have any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Is there anyway of uninstalling apps Boingo and JoikuSpot Premium from the apps menu? They are not listed in “Settings > Application Manager > Installed Apps”.
    It’s not important really, they’re there and I have no intention of ever using them.
    Any ideas?

deep1 wrote: »
    I bought 1 from Zagg, very good protecter, bit exepnsive and pain to apply but looks great and comes with lifetime warranty.

Did you get it for just the front or all over?

Did you get it for just the front or all over?

I got it full body but only used for front, back and silver side, didn't put it on black side.
    you have to wait for atleast 12 hours to turn the ph on after applying, as i mentioned it's bit pain, took me 35 mins but really worth it.

Is there anyway of uninstalling apps Boingo and JoikuSpot Premium from the apps menu? They are not listed in “Settings > Application Manager > Installed Apps”.
    It’s not important really, they’re there and I have no intention of ever using them.
    Any ideas?

No there is no way yet as it's with firmware , there is Boingo remover which will only remove access point not app itself, google it.

12 HOURS, Are they on crack?
    Thanks for all the help deep1

12 HOURS, Are they on crack?
    Thanks for all the help deep1

Lol i thought so, but once you do it you will see all micro bubbles and impuriifcation, which will take abt 12-24 hrs to go, i did mine in hurry and had lots of bubbles but they are gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Hey all,

Have the n97 for a few days and having a few problems. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same?

1. Sometimes when i open the phone nothing happens on the screen at all, its just blank. A bit of pushing the keylock and closing and opening the phone does nothing to resolve it. It fixes itself but not for about 5 mins or so.

2. Camera is a bit grainy/blurry. Not great quality pictures that i'd expect from a €300 phone.

3. Internet is very slow on it even in full coverage.

4. If i'm using the internet and get a message or call, it knocks me off the internet.

5. If i'm using the phone for about 10 mins or so the screen goes into lines of different colours before going to a blank blue screen and restarting itself.

Probably mainly dopey questions, but just checking if anyone else is having these problems to see if i have a dud or if theres any common faults? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

LolaDub wrote: »
    Hey all,

Have the n97 for a few days and having a few problems. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same?

1. Sometimes when i open the phone nothing happens on the screen at all, its just blank. A bit of pushing the keylock and closing and opening the phone does nothing to resolve it. It fixes itself but not for about 5 mins or so.

2. Camera is a bit grainy/blurry. Not great quality pictures that i'd expect from a €300 phone.

4. If i'm using the internet and get a message or call, it knocks me off the internet.

5. If i'm using the phone for about 10 mins or so the screen goes into lines of different colours before going to a blank blue screen and restarting itself.

Probably mainly dopey questions, but just checking if anyone else is having these problems to see if i have a dud or if theres any common faults? Thanks

Do you know what the firmware version is that you are running..?

Hey all,

Sounds like you have Fw 11 or less, you need to upgrade, take the battery out and put it in ( you have network ph so you have to wait for network to pull out the new fw.)

Camera is fine here, again camera is bit improved in Fw 12.0.024

Use opera Mini 5, it great browser and highly recommened.

Packat data and call are the netwok operated so only 1 can be at the same time, you should't have this problem on WI-fi.

Lack of ram, i don't use online widget on homescreen such as Accueweather, they take too much battery and Ram.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

padair wrote: »
    Do you know what the firmware version is that you are running..?

I had point 1 which was fixed when I upgraded my firmware but LolaDubs point 5 doesn't sound good. If it was me I'd bring it into the shop and show them that before upgrading firmware. I don't think it should do that no matter what firmware they're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, but think of all the good times you had as a youth that weren't wasted learning how to laminate like a ninja laminating robot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

hI GUYS..

Iam bringing my N97 to new york next week and i am concerned about the GPS and Nokia Maps....

Doesn't the N97 need a Internet connection to be set up using Nokia maps??

I have been onto VF and they have told me as long as i use Vodalive with one o their partners (at&t t mobile) and as long as the fone is connect via 3g i will be charged 99c per day 50mb allowance!

non connection through this way would result in 5 euro per mb used/downloaded!!!

they have me a bit concerned...

cramp

How exactly does the Nokia Maps work abroad

cramp

cramp wrote: »
    Doesn't the N97 need a Internet connection to be set up using Nokia maps??

I have been onto VF and they have told me as long as i use Vodalive with one o their partners (at&t t mobile) and as long as the fone is connect via 3g i will be charged 99c per day 50mb allowance!

It doesnt need to use a net connection but it helps it work better.

Once you stay with a live connection it will just cost you the 99cent a day.

Delete the other connections apart the live so you have no chance of mistakenly connecting and costing yourself. Enjoy the trip

deep1 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Use opera Mini 5, it great browser and highly recommened.

Wow just installed Opera 5. What an improvement over the standard browser!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Installed Opera 5 on my N97 and have to admit it's great. Was wondering if there is a way to show the full width of the page on screen (like an iPhone) without using the mobile view function?

What is everyone using to convert and transfer video files to their N97?
    I tried using Nokia PC Suite a few times but is usually stops working after about 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Try this program. I've used it with some avi's and it works pretty good.

Format Factory

Good luck

Advertisement