Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

if i "hide content" on the front screen does anyone know if this saves battery the same as if i had no active widgets at all???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

DRice wrote: »
    if i "hide content" on the front screen does anyone know if this saves battery the same as if i had no active widgets at all???

I'm fairly sure the widgets remain connected anyway . (?) They don't seem to use much power though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I got fed up with the GPS today. Myself and my missus have one of these phones. When heading off to our destination I turned on Maps on both phones to try and get directions.

On my phone for the whole trip it sat with 1 / 2 bars for the GPS (so no signal). On my wifes phone it got a GPS signal after about 10 mins.

I did a search and there's an interesting video here.
    http://www.symbian-freak.com/tunning/n97gpsfix/nokia_n97_gps_antenna_hack.htm

This bloke added a copper wire to the antenna and got a much better signal with his GPS. Unfortunately it requires you opening up the phone so I'm not going to try that. But on the Youtube site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypljg3MLAf8) he posted a comment 5 days ago saying Nokia are due to release some kind of fix soon.

So fingers crossed the GPS will be usable soon on my phone. At the moment all I can use it for on mine is the maps. The GPS connects on a good day but it's useless when you're lost and the phone can't find a signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Can anyone recommend a way to organise music and playlists on the N97?

It's quite tedious on the phone, as you have to individually select each track and assign it to a playlist. I downloaded the Nokia music manager but it doesn't seem to let you create playlists.

Any help appreciated. Cheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

I got fed up with the GPS today. Myself and my missus have one of these phones. When heading off to our destination I turned on Maps on both phones to try and get directions.

On my phone for the whole trip it sat with 1 / 2 bars for the GPS (so no signal). On my wifes phone it got a GPS signal after about 10 mins.

This bloke added a copper wire to the antenna and got a much better signal with his GPS. Unfortunately it requires you opening up the phone so I'm not going to try that. But on the Youtube site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypljg3MLAf8) he posted a comment 5 days ago saying Nokia are due to release some kind of fix soon.

So fingers crossed the GPS will be usable soon on my phone. At the moment all I can use it for on mine is the maps. The GPS connects on a good day but it's useless when you're lost and the phone can't find a signal.

Yeah Nokia said that they would release new firmware sometime in october. supposed to be a big update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

What is everyone using to convert and transfer video files to their N97?
    I tried using Nokia PC Suite a few times but is usually stops working after about 50%

it's not a great program. i used it to convert DVD to mp4 but they weren't 100%.the thumbnail's for the video wouldn't load and it crippled my phone. ended up deleting them.

wmMagner wrote: »
    it's not a great program. i used it to convert DVD to mp4 but they weren't 100%.the thumbnail's for the video wouldn't load and it crippled my phone. ended up deleting them.

I've used Handbrake for a few videos. Choose the iPhone profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Did you try the new maps app from nokia beta labs? i had the same prob as you but after installing the beta app it's working great. running on 12.0.024 fw.

deep1 wrote: »
    Did you try the new maps app from nokia beta labs? i had the same prob as you but after installing the beta app it's working great. running on 12.0.024 fw.

Yep. I upgraded to the version on the Beta labs and it worked great for a couple of days after that so I thought it was sorted. Now it's back to intermittantly finding the signal.

Yep. I upgraded to the version on the Beta labs and it worked great for a couple of days after that so I thought it was sorted. Now it's back to intermittantly finding the signal.

Very strange, i am using the beta app since first day and no prob at all, could re-installing the fw help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

got my n97 back today from what i thought was a nokia data centre but turned out to be "allstat" but anyway. to no avail the GPS is still not working. Drove up and back to tallaght with the satellite status up and found nothing! i really hope that this new firmware next month will do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I find that google maps gets a gps signal really quickly, but the ovi maps takes ages...

I've also loaded itunes on to my computer and used itunes agent to load the music on to the phone, and it works really well, fast transfer too.. a breath of fresh air compared to the nokia software, you do have to convert the files first to itunes formt, but WELL worth it for your sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Exactly whats happening to me.
    It was working great for the first couple of days, now I'm lucky if it even finds anything.
    Really annoying me, I'm contemplating sending it back and getting the HTC hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Guys,

It's probably covered on one of the 107 pages!! but where is currently the cheapest place to buy a sim free n97? Is there anybody here selling theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I just installed Vodafone E-mail Plus but it seems to have installed into the C: drive and it's used up all the phones memory.

Now the phone keeps crashing on start up. It says:

"Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory"

I push Ok and then it says:

"SysAp: Not enough memory to perform operation. Delete some data first"

Then it restarts before I can do anything...

Any ideas what I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

have had n97 a week now and hate it, should have been called n96 touch. The os is not suited to touch. Have been using an iphone last few weeks and n97 seems like its generations behind the iphone yet its suppose to be iphone killer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Kristok wrote: »
    have had n97 a week now and hate it, should have been called n96 touch. The os is not suited to touch. Have been using an iphone last few weeks and n97 seems like its generations behind the iphone yet its suppose to be iphone killer ?

the os has nothing to do with it! It's the, at times, unresponsive touchscreen and the lack of fancy features such as the kinetic scrolling etc...

However, scrolling's coming with firmware update in October. Also memorey optimisation.

Other than that:
    you cannot use iphone as mass storage device. You cannot transfer any file to any other phone via bt; you cannot really multitask on iphone...you cannot have opera mini on iphone; you cannot pop into any phoneshop and buy a new battery for your iphone. You cannot pop into an internet cafe in passing and connect your iphone on which you installed firefox with all your bookmarks and extensions just as you like it. you cannot download a win mo apps with your iphone and transfer it easily to your winmo phone. You cannot easily make your iphone a wifi hotspot. Your iphone's impossible to browse the net with w/out 3g or wifi. Etc etc...

i was going to change my n97 on Saturday. 1st one bricked. But then I changed my mind. This time I set it up properly, and now I have 57 mb of ram and 50 mb of free phone memory.
    It's much much faster and hasn't frozen up.

Yes, it shouldn't be necessary to tinker for 3 hrs before you use a flagship phone, but lets face it: more competition means more rushjobs. Nokia at least deliver when it comes to fw updates and added features. And you can't take a laptop out of the box and use it...

Yes, iPhones os is cool and smooth, but play a game for half an hour and see where the memory goes. Browse the net with 1 bar of 2g!

Etc etc

and I like the fact that many links/icons need 2 pushes...fed up starting apps/links by accidents.
    Also, you can use almost all features on n97 one handed(multi touch is cool...for a week. Then you just want a quick peek at a website and you gotta pinch and unpinch with 2 hands...

i didn't even mention battery life hahaha. Granted, not good on N97 but on the iphone???
    And data traffic?

i recently compared iphone 3gs vs my e71 - did the exact same things online...some emails, some browsing... E71 used 3mb of data ltraffic (using om 4.2) and 11 mb with iphone (using icab w/out image load!)!

strecker wrote: »
    the os has nothing to do with it! It's the, at times, unresponsive touchscreen and the lack of fancy features such as the kinetic scrolling etc...

However, scrolling's coming with firmware update in October. Also memorey optimisation.

Other than that:
    you cannot use iphone as mass storage device. You cannot transfer any file to any other phone via bt; you cannot really multitask on iphone...you cannot have opera mini on iphone; you cannot pop into any phoneshop and buy a new battery for your iphone. You cannot pop into an internet cafe in passing and connect your iphone on which you installed firefox with all your bookmarks and extensions just as you like it. you cannot download a win mo apps with your iphone and transfer it easily to your winmo phone. You cannot easily make your iphone a wifi hotspot. Your iphone's impossible to browse the net with w/out 3g or wifi. Etc etc...

i was going to change my n97 on Saturday. 1st one bricked. But then I changed my mind. This time I set it up properly, and now I have 57 mb of ram and 50 mb of free phone memory.
    It's much much faster and hasn't frozen up.

Yes, it shouldn't be necessary to tinker for 3 hrs before you use a flagship phone, but lets face it: more competition means more rushjobs. Nokia at least deliver when it comes to fw updates and added features. And you can't take a laptop out of the box and use it...

Yes, iPhones os is cool and smooth, but play a game for half an hour and see where the memory goes. Browse the net with 1 bar of 2g!

Etc etc

and I like the fact that many links/icons need 2 pushes...fed up starting apps/links by accidents.
    Also, you can use almost all features on n97 one handed(multi touch is cool...for a week. Then you just want a quick peek at a website and you gotta pinch and unpinch with 2 hands...

i didn't even mention battery life hahaha. Granted, not good on N97 but on the iphone???
    And data traffic?

i recently compared iphone 3gs vs my e71 - did the exact same things online...some emails, some browsing... E71 used 3mb of data ltraffic (using om 4.2) and 11 mb with iphone (using icab w/out image load!)!

+1 I always said that fruity phone is for those who don't know the true defintion of SMART PHONE, as a previous iphone user , i could only tolerate it for 3 weeks before selling it and bought n97.
    i admit n97 has bugs but if you know how to play around then it's a beautiful phone, i have lots of thems Fx and my friends who owns iphone just love that and are jealoues that i can listen Music, browse , edit my contacts, check messages and take photos at same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

strecker wrote: »
    Your iphone's impossible to browse the net with w/out 3g or wifi. Etc etc...

I think you will find that is the case with the vast majority of phones. :)

Anyway, let's not turn this into yet another iPhone bashing thread. It's been done to death here so many times.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think you will find that is the case with the vast majority of phones. :)

Anyway, let's not turn this into yet another iPhone bashing thread. It's been done to death here so many times.

funny you should say that. i just logged back in to point out that the iphone's not bad per se...it depends on what you need/want/'expect'.
    As to browsing: opera mini and some others realised exactly that years ago. So you Can in fact browse with weakest signals. There are now dozens and dozens of 3rd party browsers for the iphone. All as slow on 2g as safari. Meanwhile apple reject opera mini...hello?!
    Also, the op mentioned the iphone, so how was I to reply w/out mentioning it too?

That said: the n97, although 4 some reasons I decided to give it another chance...it does have some amazing flaws hahaha... In fact I would not recommend it to any more casual users at all. It's more of a 'project'... I still carry my e71 until the e72 is out at a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I am REALLY tempted by the N97 mini, having viewed some videos of it on Youtube.

Does anyone have a release date for it in Ireland?

Elessar wrote: »
    I am REALLY tempted by the N97 mini, having viewed some videos of it on Youtube.

Does anyone have a release date for it in Ireland?

considering that vodafone ireland were the 1st to 'leak' its existence I'd assume it'll be out oct or nov?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Isn't the wi-fi access removed from the N97 Mini?

I could be wrong, but if not that is one hell of a big death-knell for it in my book.

Isn't the wi-fi access removed from the N97 Mini?

I could be wrong, but if not that is one hell of a big death-knell for it in my book.

no, it has wifi

Just got my N97 at lunch from Vodafone, it's sitting here beside me charging. Can somebody recommend a decent cover for the entire device? I bought some screen covers which look fine. The Vodafone store had a device cover but it didn't look great and was €26 which I felt was a little expensive to say the least.

SeamyH wrote: »
    Just got my N97 at lunch from Vodafone, it's sitting here beside me charging. Can somebody recommend a decent cover for the entire device? I bought some screen covers which look fine. The Vodafone store had a device cover but it didn't look great and was €26 which I felt was a little expensive to say the least.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nokia-n97-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php
    couldn't recommened it any more, it's bit pain to install but it doesn't add any bulk , looks great and comes with life time warranty.

deep1 wrote: »
    http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nokia-n97-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php
    couldn't recommened it any more, it's bit pain to install but it doesn't add any bulk , looks great and comes with life time warranty.

Looks ideal, did you order from this site and if so how long did delivery take? Is there somewhere local they can be purchased from?

SeamyH wrote: »
    Looks ideal, did you order from this site and if so how long did delivery take? Is there somewhere local they can be purchased from?

yes i bought from them directly, after purchase they shipped the item in 3 days ( i know bit late) and got it in 3 days.
    so about 8 days all together, it's well worth the wait too, after applying you can't use the ph for atleast 12 hours and it takes about 3 days micro buubles and impurification to go but ater that looks beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does that cover the whole phone, including the sides? Or just the front and back?

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    Does that cover the whole phone, including the sides? Or just the front and back?

i got fullbody and it covers the every single part you can imagine ( except keyboard), that's why it's pain, small parts for side, i have it on metal rim but didn't bother on the side part where the usb goes.

Advertisement