Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

how do you set up the push for gmail on the N97 ? I've tried using these instructions and keep getting connection errors also at the very end it says email is not supported ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Elessar wrote: »
    Christ, that N97 for €279 on vodafone €19/month contract is DAMN tempting.....

Waiting for the N97 mini though.

..The directional pad is actually quite useful you know. N97 mini may be cheaper, but i can't see the price difference being that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

xanthor wrote: »
    ..The directional pad is actually quite useful you know. N97 mini may be cheaper, but i can't see the price difference being that big.

Quiet! You'll make me do something stupid...

I think the mini actually looks nicer, and the smaller form factor would suit me better....but damn, to have one now...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

..The directional pad is actually quite useful you know.

I have to agree, when doing a lot of browsing i have it great and have done since the very start. Even mentioned it on here when i got it

How long is the warranty on the N97? Is it europe wide? I can get one on ebay in the UK for roughly €400 shipped...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Ive one for sale on adverts.ie for 330

How long is the warranty on the N97?.

Nokia warranties are usually 2 years IIRC.

How long is the warranty on the N97? Is it europe wide? I can get one on ebay in the UK for roughly €400 shipped...

24 months on the handset, and covers EU wide. Accessories like the battery only have 6 months warranty

Davy wrote: »
    24 months on the handset, and covers EU wide. Accessories like the battery only have 6 months warranty

Where do you go if anything goes wrong with the phone if you dont have a receipt.

cotwold wrote: »
    Where do you go if anything goes wrong with the phone if you dont have a receipt.

You send it to phone menders or MPRC in sandyford. Usually they dont ask for a receipt.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    You send it to phone menders or MPRC in sandyford. Usually they dont ask for a receipt.

Ok and they just know its in warranty, thats handy thanks.

Would those that have it say it is actually worth the €500?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

hi all as anyone been using there phone with out the stylus its a pain in the arse the way it dangles on a bit of string.

im thinking of glueing it to the back of the phone so i can slide it into the holder any ideas?

hi all as anyone been using there phone with out the stylus its a pain in the arse the way it dangles on a bit of string.

im thinking of glueing it to the back of the phone so i can slide it into the holder any ideas?

You can get a retro fit back cover that has a built in stylus holder. You can get one with a larger battery back, i think 2400 or sumthing but it makes the phone chunkier obliviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Try it without the stylus. I've been using it for a month now and I haven't missed it.

Probably not, although a lot of people who bought it on contract are effectively paying more than that.

Unless it's substantially cheaper, i doubt the Mini is worth its cost either.
    I suspect a 5800 would probably do most people, including me, just fine... but i'm a little bit of a gadget snob.

I'd suggest you sit tight until the mini is available, then go ask for a demo of both. I didn't think i'd need/use the directional pad, but i just found myself using it without thinking... you may be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

anybody know when the uk firmware is going to upgrade to v12 ? iv been on v11 for god knows how long now and its pissing me off knowing theres a new firmware out there but nokia updater says there isnt one for my phone.

also have to say the camera is pathetic on this especailly compared to the n95 let alone a normal camera. i was jus on vacation there last week in the place i was in december with my n95 and one of the places i was in was dark enough the photos look so bad and video look like vhs quality where as my n95 never had any problems really dissapointed me, just thought id add that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Really thinking of gettin one of these things, might sell the old N95 8GB and move up.. I liked the N770 and love the wifi of the N80 and N95, think this would be right up my alley.

Still quite expensive and vodafones pay monthly plans are crap - at least €49p/m for a half decent plan.. :(

edit: Not at all interested in the mini version either

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I have mine for over 2 months now and I'm still in love with it. Basically it's an always-on silent mini computer. I use it for emails, watching downloads (using smartmovie), messenger (using nimbuzz), photos (the scratch problem is annoying), making notes, alarms/ reminders/ scheduling, radio, GPS a few times.. oh and as a phone occasionally.

Best 500euros I've spent in a long time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyflea wrote: »
    Really thinking of gettin one of these things, might sell the old N95 8GB and move up.. I liked the N770 and love the wifi of the N80 and N95, think this would be right up my alley.

Still quite expensive and vodafones pay monthly plans are crap - at least €49p/m for a half decent plan.. :(

edit: Not at all interested in the mini version either

If you liked the n770, maybe it'd be worth while waiting for the n900? It'll be expensive though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

If you liked the n770, maybe it'd be worth while waiting for the n900? It'll be expensive though...
    if i'd known the n900 was coming in october i'd have waited for that rather than getting the n97 (sim free the day before the UK launch, so i was a really early adopter:)) and i'm actually still contemplating getting the n900 when they come out and just give the n97 to the g/f.

i like it, but i wouldn't even think about buying it knowing that the n900 is just round the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I haven't seen anything to make me feel the N900 is better. I also prefer the look of the N97.

Well I see your point, but the n900 is more expensive and doesn't have a D-pad? I like the odd N-Gage game on the go on my N95. I'd miss that. I know there's other games but the gaming on N770 wasn't up to much.

Arrgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

DermoMIO wrote: »
    anybody know when the uk firmware is going to upgrade to v12 ? iv been on v11 for god knows how long now and its pissing me off knowing theres a new firmware out there but nokia updater says there isnt one for my phone.

also have to say the camera is pathetic on this especailly compared to the n95 let alone a normal camera. i was jus on vacation there last week in the place i was in december with my n95 and one of the places i was in was dark enough the photos look so bad and video look like vhs quality where as my n95 never had any problems really dissapointed me, just thought id add that in.

Ive a white UK N97 bought sim free from the Regent Street store & I just checked after reading a thread on the Nokia Discussions board & FOTA told me that 12.0.26 is available to me....must have changed it slightly from 12.0.24 which is what the other territories got a few weeks back

Installing it as I type....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thinking of getting this over the N900 as this is a 'phone' and not a tablet

With 02 on Speak Easy. After browsing through the threads will there be an issue with me updating the firmware when I get it ? If so anyway around this ?

Cheers

Is the N97 sold by O2 "pay-as-you-go" locked and branded or unlocked? I could get €30 off it in Carphone Warehouse by trading in my old one making it €499, same as I can get it from the UK unlocked.

Temptation...rising...cannot hold back much longer..

I'm gonna get one before the week's out. Looking on ebay and adverts. Voda and o2 are a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Ive a white UK N97 bought sim free from the Regent Street store & I just checked after reading a thread on the Nokia Discussions board & FOTA told me that 12.0.26 is available to me....must have changed it slightly from 12.0.24 which is what the other territories got a few weeks back

Installing it as I type....

Just got the update myself.

It seems to have borked my access points and now I can't search for wireless networks either :|

It seems to have borked my access points and now I can't search for wireless networks either :|

Anyone else have this problem? Was going to update, but now.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone else have this problem? Was going to update, but now.......

Couldn't fix it so backed up my phone and done a master reset. This resolved the issue until I done a restore. This caused the issue to re-occur.

Done a master reset again and restored everything but the settings. This resolved the issue.

Advertisement