Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Yeah I have the problem too, its mentioned on the front page on n97geeks.com so seems to be a problem across the board...Nokia f**k it up again it seems! :mad:

I lost all my access points until I went to create a new Vodafone Live one & then out of nowhere my 4 old Vodafone ones (Live, ISP, MMS & Streaming) appeared in a "uncategorised" collection of access points.
    Still no joy on wi-fi though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

I know this has been discussed already but i'm still having problems.

Whenever i try playing videos on my n97 the don't play. It just says trying to play partially and plays only the sound and no images??

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

megapixel wrote: »
    I know this has been discussed already but i'm still having problems.

Whenever i try playing videos on my n97 the don't play. It just says trying to play partially and plays only the sound and no images??

Depends what you're trying to play. Format, size, etc.
    Depends what you're using to play them on the N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I use Videora video converter to convert my movies / videos to the correct format for the N97.

It's free, and you can download it from
    http://videora.com/en-us/Converter/n97/download/

More info in http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=144

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Yeah I have the problem too, its mentioned on the front page on n97geeks.com so seems to be a problem across the board...Nokia f**k it up again it seems! :mad:

I lost all my access points until I went to create a new Vodafone Live one & then out of nowhere my 4 old Vodafone ones (Live, ISP, MMS & Streaming) appeared in a "uncategorised" collection of access points.
    Still no joy on wi-fi though :rolleyes:

Ok have it sorted....luckily I backed up everything the day before...best thing to do is:
    Upgrade to V12, if your web destinations disappear...simply go to "restore" in the backup section & tick the box next to settings, phone will then restore settings from your previous backup & reboot.
    Should be all good destination'wise then still on V12

Although i think Nokia may have pulled the V12 update for UK handsets as of last night as alot of people on other forums are reporting they cant get it right now, prob due to this problem witht he destinations disappearing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Although i think Nokia may have pulled the V12 update for UK handsets as of last night as alot of people on other forums are reporting they cant get it right now, prob due to this problem witht he destinations disappearing

Was about to post to say that I can't get v12 at all and where did you guys get it! Hopefully what you've said above is what's happened and they are going to fix that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is internet tethering available on the N97?

And if so, does it require PC software? I'm on a mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Elessar wrote: »
    Is internet tethering available on the N97?

And if so, does it require PC software? I'm on a mac.

Yes it is and no it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Was on phone to Alllstat in Artane about the firmware updates

I asked if they could do this and explain to me about it. They told me that when updated firmware comes out it has to be tested by 02 first before they allow it. Until then you can only upgrade to 02 latest. They can update it to the latest. I asked would this affect my warranty and they said no.

Is this correct ? Dont want to flash the phone myself as dont want to brick it but have not bought it yet so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Was on phone to Alllstat in Artane about the firmware updates

I asked if they could do this and explain to me about it. They told me that when updated firmware comes out it has to be tested by 02 first before they allow it. Until then you can only upgrade to 02 latest. They can update it to the latest. I asked would this affect my warranty and they said no.

Is this correct ? Dont want to flash the phone myself as dont want to brick it but have not bought it yet so :rolleyes:

Thats all correct, it can be done by them, or yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Well I took the plunge and bought one today - ebay - new in box with all bits, sim free unbranded - €350.. inc insured postage.

Hope I'm not too late to join in the thread.. before everyone moves onto the N900!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Well I took the plunge and bought one today - ebay - new in box with all bits, sim free unbranded - €350.. inc insured postage.

Hope I'm not too late to join in the thread.. before everyone moves onto the N900!

From what seller funky?

I've decided to get the N97 in the end. I had a play around with one in CW today and it's not too big at all. If I get sick of it I'll just sell it on and get an iPhone or something :D Thinking of buying from clove.co.uk for €499 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Elessar wrote: »
    From what seller funky?

I've decided to get the N97 in the end..

Was it the thumbpad? :D

xanthor wrote: »
    Was it the thumbpad? :D

It was! Also the size (not too big at all), and the fact I need a good smartphone soon and that I've already had an iPhone. Ordered already, shipping tomorrow! Hoping to get one of the newer builds, which are shipping with the new ovi maps beta installed (and hopefully have gps issues fixed!).

Gah! Clove.co.uk wont have stock til Monday! How nice of them to tell me only AFTER I have placed the order.

EDIT: Good news, just got an email from them there saying their stock arrived a day early and my order has now shipped. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

PLEASE HELP!

my n97 is switching contacts names and numbers. for example if my mother and girlfriend are saved in my contacts their numbers can just be switched without me knowing at any time. this has happened three times randomly with very close to dire consequences at one stage. this is by far the most unusal problem i have ever encountered in a phone and want to know if its happened to anyone else and if anyone knows what to do. its a vodafone n97 i ordered online that came unlocked and debranded so i now use my meteor sim on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i put on the zagg shield last night its now 24hrs since i applied it and there is still a few bubbles.(should i start to worry?)

also on the music player when i play just say u2 bad it plays a totally different track even though bad comes up on the screen as playing its doing my head in

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

all these problems are making me change my mind about the n97 and I am leaning to the n900, good idea? bad idea?, anyone? :confused:

i put on the zagg shield last night its now 24hrs since i applied it and there is still a few bubbles.(should i start to worry?)

also on the music player when i play just say u2 bad it plays a totally different track even though bad comes up on the screen as playing its doing my head in

I wouldn't worry about the shield, wait till morning. If its not perfect you can take it off and put it back on very quickly ans easy tomorrow.

i have a shield on mine since i got it and difintely fined it great. Dont notice it on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm currently reading through this thread at the moment, while I wait for my phone to arrive.. can anyone tell me what firmware I should be at when I get the phone, or what I should be updating to?

It's a UK Unlocked N97. Also, does anyone use the N-Gage application, I've been using N-Gage since it originally came out in 2003 & on the N95, and the landscape mode looks good on N97.

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »
    I'm currently reading through this thread at the moment, while I wait for my phone to arrive.. can anyone tell me what firmware I should be at when I get the phone, or what I should be updating to?

It's a UK Unlocked N97. Also, does anyone use the N-Gage application, I've been using N-Gage since it originally came out in 2003 & on the N95, and the landscape mode looks good on N97.

It will probably come with V11 on it, but the latest available is V12.

I haven't bothered with the Ngage app

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Has anyone found a decent app to redistribute the 3G connection over a wifi access point running on the phone, for other devices?

Moriarty wrote: »
    Has anyone found a decent app to redistribute the 3G connection over a wifi access point running on the phone, for other devices?

JoikuSpot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Davy wrote: »
    JoikuSpot?

Haven't given it a try yet.. heard it wasn't great though. Sure I guess I'll give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Moriarty wrote: »
    Haven't given it a try yet.. heard it wasn't great though. Sure I guess I'll give it a try :)

Joikuspot's one of the best free apps ever. In the history of apps.
    In the history of ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

long_b wrote: »
    Joikuspot's one of the best free apps ever. In the history of apps.
    In the history of ever.
    you don't sound too convinced. :D

there's a lite version of it too if you don't need all the advanced features that you'd have to pay for.

Well I have my N97 a day now and overall I like it. Being my first symbian phone, it was a bit frustrating and disappointing initially, with menu after menu for the simplest things like turning on wifi. It also looked rather drab. However, I've given it more time and it's really growing on me. I installed a decent theme, placed shortcuts on the homescreen, installed a task manager and cleaned up the C: drive. When you give it a chance, it's amazing how like a little computer this actually is. It does pretty much everything you could want. I don't have any GPS or screen lock problems and overall its pretty smooth. Ok, it could be a bit snappier but considering the multifunctionality of the device it's ok by me.

The keyboard takes getting some used to though. The keys are tiny and have no real feedback, I often find myself pressing keys twice by mistake or pressing a key I didn't want to press. The D pad aswell is too flush with the case so it's hard to navigate, they should have raised it. Although I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually!

As part of my cleanup I deleted the AP news and Facebook widgets. However neither of them are available on Ovi Store! Would anyone here kindly send me these two widgets?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

I'm on my 2nd N97 and have nothing but problems, freezing, dropping calls, calls not getting through, mail for exchange is a terrible (v 2.9, cant find the stable 2.7) and so on.

I'm dropping it back and getting a HTC Hero. I don't know why I went away from HTC. Its a sad day when Windows Mobile is more stable than Symbian. In any case, this is my opinion.

My advise is to avoid this like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

Anyone know when the 2.0 firmware is due out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

october something.

thats all the info that was given. could be tomorrow, could be next week. we will know when its up.

Advertisement