Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anyone know when the 2.0 firmware is due out?

Oct 28th is in my head for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I've read the 9th on a few sites, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Another preview http://www.n97fanatics.com/nokia-n97-v20-firmware-a-hands-on-experience/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Well, I've been told there's a package at home waiting.. Must be the N97 :D

Roll on firmware v2.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

Anyone know when the 2.0 firmware is due out?

Soon I hope on the other hand V12 became available on my o2 branded handset this evening :)

• Advertisement

A good few of the forums have these release dates up now.......I'll believe it when I see it.

Stage 1
    Date: (10/10)
    Region: ASIA & Middle-East with Arab Gulf
    Type: Un-branded Phones

Stage 2
    Date: (11/10)
    Region: EUROPE

Stage 3
    Date: (12/10)
    Region: USA, Canada & North America

Stage 4
    Date: (13/10)
    Region: South America, South Africa & Australia

Stage 5
    Date: From (14/10) To (20/10)
    Region: South America, South Africa & Australia
    Type: Branded Phones
    (Vodafone, Orange, At&t, Zain...etc)

Here are the official fixes for the camera lens & gps issues (from aas)
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10588_Getting_the_Service_Centre_low.php

I'm suffering from both, I can't take a picture with the flash due to the scratches on my lens, and my GPS has decided to stop working 9 out of 10 times :mad::mad:

I'll be taking it to the nearest nokia service centre when I get a chance.

Edit:
    I changed product code to a euro1 code to update to V12 and then changed the code back
    Now O2 are on V12, so would the service centre know that I did it?....seeing as my product code is back to original?

Could someone on O2 who has updated to V12 the official way not by changing product code, please post the detail of their update....i.e. settings>phone>phone mgmt>device updates
    So,
    Software version
    Software version date
    Custom version date
    Language set
    Model
    Type

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

any sign of the v2 firmware yet? been checking mine (uk sim free, euro product code) and no luck so far.

that link a while back said it should be all done and dusted by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nokia came out and said that those dates were made up - i.e. said they have no idea where they came from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jason.clark

Shane_O wrote: »
    I have an Iphone now but to be honest have never found any brand as good as nokia.they have all the features you could want but still remain user friendly and reliable.The I phone does have it's perks but lately has been getting on my nerves. The N97 looks to be what may be the ideal phone for me.I'll have to wait and see.

True nokia is one of the forefathers of the current mobile smartphones. I could still remember how the Nokia 5110 used to be the bomb way back then. Nokia still has tricks up its sleeve regarding innovations and design. Just wait and see. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

Anyone have light scratches on their touch screen? I have a few. Any ideas how to get rid of them? Also i thought tests were done on the touch screen to show that coins and car keys wouldnt scratch the touch screen?

No v20 yet.. Could be another week or two.

I ordered a Zagg screen cover when I got the phone and still hasn't arrived.. could be to do with the Royal Mail strikes going on at the mo.

But today I got a tiny scratch on my screen.. damn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anyone have light scratches on their touch screen? I have a few. Any ideas how to get rid of them? Also i thought tests were done on the touch screen to show that coins and car keys wouldnt scratch the touch screen?

I think those tests were of a screen protector.

what happened to your factory fitted screen protector with the little silver tab in the corner?

you can pick up half a dozen on ebay for a couple of quid delivered. a sound investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I ordered a Zagg cover a few weeks back and it arrived 2 days ago....

But was only the Cover screen......i thought that it was a full body kit...( i didnt read small print)
    i have reordered a Full body kit for my N97.......

If someone here just wants a Genuine Zagg "COVER SCREEN ONLY" for n97 i will sell it for 10euro (through paypal postage included) brand new!!!!

i paid 18euro delivered!

cramp

I got the Zagg screen protector (11euro delivered off zagg.com with a discount code) and it was a pain to put it on, probably my own fault. And I marked the cover and it looks like dirt on the screen, screens really grainy looking now and can't use fingernail to touch the screen now (lost the stylus).

i know it's an expensive phone, but those zagg covers are mad expensive. how long do they even last before you need to replace them?

i got 6 screen protectors for a couple of euro and i still have 3 of them and I've had my phone 6 months now, not to mention i got fluff on one when i was putting it on and scrapped it and used another one.

yes, they're only covering the screen itself, but the rest of the phone is sturdy enough. i've dropped mine quite a few times now and it lives in my pocket with my car keys and there's barely any visible marks on anything except the screen protector.

The Zagg cover is really well presented though, comes in a nice box with applicator spray and a cloth.. and they say on the box it has a lifetime guarantee and they'll replace it for free if it ever gets damaged.

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I dropped my N97 down the stairs this morning. It was an accident. I was stood at the top when all of a sudden it fell -don't ask me how. Time seemed to go slow as I watched (and heard) it hop off one stair, then take flight and land again to bash off another before leaping back in the air once more, only to slam on the wooden floor in the hall with a mighty smash.
    The back flew off and the battery out. Quickly I put it back together and I'm happy to say there seems to be no damage -apart from the mental damage it caused me. :)

[It wasn't in a case. Only a clear screen protector.]

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »
    The Zagg cover is really well presented though, comes in a nice box with applicator spray and a cloth.. and they say on the box it has a lifetime guarantee and they'll replace it for free if it ever gets damaged.

Hmm.
    ah, but is it worth it?

I dropped my N97 down the stairs this morning.

Mine fell down a stairs this afternoon.. onto cement. It appears the combination of the screen protector and the huge plastic case means it's came out utterly undamaged however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does no-one use the screen protector that came with it? Mine is still on and I haven't taken it off. Works a treat.

vibe666 wrote: »
    ah, but is it worth it?

I think it is, i had the cheap ones first but have put on the shield one and its been on ever since and still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Hi guys,

Have been looking into the N97 lately and was very tempted by the touchscreen and other features.

Some things have since come to my attention after reading through different materials online, and suffice to say, I'm hanging my buying coat up until I can figure out if the device is worth €500.

1. Lens covers have been blamed for scratches on lens
    2. Software leaves very little RAM - Device is apparently very slow
    3. System remains extremely buggy despite numerous updates

As an N95 8GB user, is there any real point in forking out for the upgrade to N97? It's a cool-looking phone, but the software niggles and low processor/RAM combination have me a bit scared off.

Any advice much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can someone with the N97 do me a favour? Go outside today and launch nokia/ovi maps and tell me if you get a GPS lock, and if so, for how long. Make sure to turn assisted GPS off via Menu>Applications>location>positioning>positioning methods.

I stood outside for over 5 minutes and didn't get a single lock-on. I'm looking to see are other people having the same problem in cloudy weather or is mine actually faulty.

House wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Have been looking into the N97 lately and was very tempted by the touchscreen and other features.

Some things have since come to my attention after reading through different materials online, and suffice to say, I'm hanging my buying coat up until I can figure out if the device is worth €500.

1. Lens covers have been blamed for scratches on lens
    2. Software leaves very little RAM - Device is apparently very slow
    3. System remains extremely buggy despite numerous updates

As an N95 8GB user, is there any real point in forking out for the upgrade to N97? It's a cool-looking phone, but the software niggles and low processor/RAM combination have me a bit scared off.

Any advice much appreciated.

1: This is the only point where i can say i've had absolutely no problems.
    2: Yes, it's a bit slow sometimes. Very slow.. not so sure. Browser does seem sluggish at times... but on the other hand not so much over WiFi. Maybe Vodafone just suck.
    3: Hard to answer conclusively. Yes, it has frozen on me a few times to the point where i've had to remove the battery. I guess that's enough of a bug to be considered detrimental.

I'm fairly convinced the camera is worse than the one on the N95 8GB, and am holding out some vague hope that the next firmware update will sort this out.

Is it a definitive upgrade from the N95 8gb? No. Nokia's market dominance is such that they're going to continue to market handsets that are incremental upgrades at best. Remember, the N95 8GB was buggy to start off with too.
    As it stands, the N97 does have a few niggles, which can be pretty irritating at times. I'd suggest you wait at least until the next firmware upgrade, becasue as the phone is right now, you probably won't be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

anyone know were i can get an 8/16gb mem card for the n97 cheap

anyone know were i can get an 8/16gb mem card for the n97 cheap

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SD?&filter=8192#memFilter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

thanks for that link davy 3&02 were looking for 50 euro for the 8gb

Advertisement