Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

House wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Have been looking into the N97 lately and was very tempted by the touchscreen and other features.

Some things have since come to my attention after reading through different materials online, and suffice to say, I'm hanging my buying coat up until I can figure out if the device is worth €500.

1. Lens covers have been blamed for scratches on lens
    2. Software leaves very little RAM - Device is apparently very slow
    3. System remains extremely buggy despite numerous updates

As an N95 8GB user, is there any real point in forking out for the upgrade to N97? It's a cool-looking phone, but the software niggles and low processor/RAM combination have me a bit scared off.

Any advice much appreciated.

1. I think this issue has been resolved with newer models, mine's perfect anyway with regular lens sliding

2. Yes it does, I believe that's supposed to be rectified (significantly) with the release of v20 firmware any day now

3. Can only hope this will be resolved with v20 also, but the bugs aren't as bad as you'd think

It's not a significant jump from n95 8gb, it's more like the n95 with touch screen tacked on and some extra features.

But it's still a nice handset when it works and you always get people asking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

House wrote: »
    Have been looking into the N97 lately and was very tempted by the touchscreen and other features.
    wait a week or two and you can have an n900 instead.

unfortunately for me, as (afaik) one of the first people in Ireland to get an n97 (a day before the official launch day) i had my n97 before i really knew anything about the n900, but if i'd known then what i know now, i'd have stuck with my n95 8gb for a while longer and waited for the n900 to some out. there's not a chance in the world i would even consider buying the n97 now with the n900 so close, even if i had money to burn.

there's no guarantees that the n900 won't have problems too, but all the signs are pointing towards it being a great phone (even though nokia aren't marketing it as a phone) and definitely the one to wait for.

i'm hopeful the firmware issues will be sorted with the v20 firmware, but i still think the n900 is worth going for and i'm considering buying one anyway and giving the n97 to the missus to replace her 5800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

vibe666 wrote: »
    wait a week or two and you can have an n900 instead.

unfortunately for me, as (afaik) one of the first people in Ireland to get an n97 (a day before the official launch day) i had my n97 before i really knew anything about the n900, but if i'd known then what i know now, i'd have stuck with my n95 8gb for a while longer and waited for the n900 to some out. there's not a chance in the world i would even consider buying the n97 now with the n900 so close, even if i had money to burn.

there's no guarantees that the n900 won't have problems too, but all the signs are pointing towards it being a great phone (even though nokia aren't marketing it as a phone) and definitely the one to wait for.

i'm hopeful the firmware issues will be sorted with the v20 firmware, but i still think the n900 is worth going for and i'm considering buying one anyway and giving the n97 to the missus to replace her 5800.

I to am thinking of getting the N97 and never heard of the N900 Whats the big difference with this phone and the N97?

Do you know: what network will be bringing it out and when an will it be more expensive?

Just comparing the N900 an N97 and the N900 is not S60 (Mamoe 5!!!) doesnt support as many colors as the N97 screen camera doesnt support as many FPS as N97. Doesnt look as nice as the N97 so I am not sure were your coming from dude!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Changes from Symbian to Linux based OS so hopefully it will be more stable/user friendly and a big step to catch up with the iPhone.

More RAM and Virtual memory should speed up multi tasking.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Changes from Symbian to Linux based OS so hopefully it will be more stable/user friendly and a big step to catch up with the iPhone.

More RAM and Virtual memory should speed up multi tasking.

This phone might be abit more powerful and be able to multitask better but as its a different operating system than the N97 it will not support a fraction of the apps as the s60 operating system can. The N97 is a much nicer phone than the N900 imo and hopefully the firmware updates will resolve a few bugs on the N97.

I am upgrading the N95 that I currently own and am happy with the S60 and the apps selection. It might be abit slow at times and am hoping the N97 will be the natural upgrade and that Ill be happy forking out €270 for it which I am struggling to justify as an upgrade from my N95!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Doesnt look as nice as the N97 so I am not sure were your coming from dude!!!!!
    where i'm coming from is as someone who has actually owned an n97 since the day before the UK launch, possibly even the first one in the country (the first one on boards.ie anyway if you read back through the thread to around launch time).

s60 has had it's day and it was never designed for touch use, something which is painfully obvious to someone who's owned a touch screen s60 5th phone. it's clunky and awkward.

maemo5 was designed from the ground up to be touch friendly and since it's built around a stable, open platform (yes, maemo is linux based) the list of supported applications is already huge, even from mainstream developers.

a mobile version of firefox (with full flash support), skype and divx playback out of the box spring to mind as notable features along with a processor 50% faster than the n97's, with better 3D capabilities, a bigger (16:9 aspect) screen perfect for watching video, a better keyboard.

take it from someone who's lived with an n97 for the last 4 months and read through and watched everything on the net about both phones, the n900 is going to kick the n97's a$$.

not only would i not touch the n97 now with a barge pole if I didn't already have one, but I've had one for the last 4 months and I'm STILL seriously considering moving up (and yes, it's going to be a big step up) to the n900 the first chance I get, SIM free before any irish mobile carrier ever gets it in stock, just like when I got the n97, so you know how serious i am. DO NOT get the n97 now unless you want n900 users rubbing it in your face.

Just seen a tweet saying N97 v20 is available on NSU for download NOW.

Can anyone confirm this I'm at work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

funkyflea wrote: »
    Just seen a tweet saying N97 v20 is available on NSU for download NOW.

Can anyone confirm this I'm at work?!

I can confirm this is crap. It's not out yet. According to a Nokia rep on their forums though, it's still on course for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

''I asked a Nokia spokesperson at Nokia World to show me the new firmware 2.0 on the Nokia N97. It will feature usability enhancement, additional widgets, updated Facebook app, increased free internal memory, as well as stability improvements. The firmware is going to be available in Software Update this October.''

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/09/03/nokia-n97-firmware-video/

where i'm coming from is as someone who has actually owned an n97 since the day before the UK launch, possibly even the first one in the country (the first one on boards.ie anyway if you read back through the thread to around launch time).

s60 has had it's day and it was never designed for touch use, something which is painfully obvious to someone who's owned a touch screen s60 5th phone. it's clunky and awkward.

maemo5 was designed from the ground up to be touch friendly and since it's built around a stable, open platform (yes, maemo is linux based) the list of supported applications is already huge, even from mainstream developers.

a mobile version of firefox (with full flash support), skype and divx playback out of the box spring to mind as notable features along with a processor 50% faster than the n97's, with better 3D capabilities, a bigger (16:9 aspect) screen perfect for watching video, a better keyboard.

take it from someone who's lived with an n97 for the last 4 months and read through and watched everything on the net about both phones, the n900 is going to kick the n97's a$$.

not only would i not touch the n97 now with a barge pole if I didn't already have one, but I've had one for the last 4 months and I'm STILL seriously considering moving up (and yes, it's going to be a big step up) to the n900 the first chance I get, SIM free before any irish mobile carrier ever gets it in stock, just like when I got the n97, so you know how serious i am. DO NOT get the n97 now unless you want n900 users rubbing it in your face.

Thanks Vibe for the input, I was buying the N97 yesterday untill I came across this thread and have decided to wait so thanks for sharing your experience and I can now see the potential in this phone. I have been waiting since January for the N97 to come out and now that its out seven months after it was first announced the N900 is on the horizon...I hope its just not as long a wait. Again we know nothing about when it will be released and its a guess which phone operator will have it!! in the mean time Ill have to just be content with my trusty N95 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Id say you just summed up all my thoughts on the n97 right there, even with the new firmware i still dont think its going to add any particular wow factor too it. I've looked at the n900 but i never used the keyboard on the n97, so i think ill be jumping ship to a htc.

For anyone considering an n97 at this stage i'd be taking a long hard look at other handsets first before spending your hard earned on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Elessar wrote: »
    I can confirm this is crap. It's not out yet. According to a Nokia rep on their forums though, it's still on course for this week.

True. Not out; and I can't see them release it before the n97 mini is in the shops. The mini has fw 2 'out-of-the-box', and Nokia went publicly on record as saying the n97 Mini 'will be guaranteed bug-free at launch'... Releasing the same firmware first for n97 and possibly getting awful feedback could ruin n97 mini sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Anybody know what fw is on newly purchased n97's ?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

boc121 wrote: »
    Anybody know what fw is on newly purchased n97's ?
    Cheers.

Most recent is 12.0.024.

If you get a locked handset, it may be something earlier depending on the network(?)

strecker wrote: »
    ..... the n97 Mini 'will be guaranteed bug-free at launch'.....

'That's not a bug, it's a...feature'.

xanthor wrote: »
    Most recent is 12.0.024.

If you get a locked handset, it may be something earlier depending on the network(?)

'That's not a bug, it's a...feature'.

Can't use that slogan - it's Apple's intellectual property ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Version 2.0 is out!!!! just a matter of time before it reaches our handsets!!

Capture.jpg

allen175 wrote: »

Capture.jpg

What does this mean? Can you explain it?

EDIT: It's available on NSU now according to Nokia forums.
    EDIT2: Nope, still not available for UK...

it means that the latest update is available and no more waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Looking forward to it:D:D:D:D:D Kilsmum

Still unavailable for UK unbranded/simfree phones :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just changed my product code to 0570817 to get NSU to update, will change it back when its done ;)

Its gonna take a while, our internet connection in work is bordering on prehistoric!

Checking now for Euro product code..updating NOW!

lafors wrote: »
    Just changed my product code to 0570817 to get NSU to update, will change it back when its done ;)

Its gonna take a while, our internet connection in work is bordering on prehistoric!

I was going to do the same but I've just learnt that doing that really does invalidate your warranty!
    When you do a firmware update, your phone sends info to Nokia, here's what being sent:

Online Software Update Attempt History
    Date/Time (GMT) YYYY-MM-DD | Update Type | Result | Reason | Original Software Version | Target Software Version | Product Code

They will know by checking your phone against their warranty logs. I'm gonna wait!

allen175 wrote: »

Capture.jpg

Yep,
    What do you mean by 'out'?
    Of course, it's been out for months - on preview models of N97 mini :P

Elessar wrote: »
    I was going to do the same but I've just learnt that doing that really does invalidate your warranty!

They will know by checking your phone against their warranty logs. I'm gonna wait!

I was worried about this myself but I've not had a problem yet, I had it in for repair at the nokia service centre for the GPS after I did the same for V12. They didn't say anything?

It'll be going back in again for the proper lens & gps fix asap so I guess we'll see then. Both of those are hardware issues so nothing I do to software would cause them so we'll see ;)

Updated.. gotta get back to work now tho :(

Bricked! Sh*t

edit: hard reset works. Kinetic scrolling not bad. 61mb free device memory

Updated, everything kept, no restore needed :)
    Well don't get too hyped up lads, its just kinetic scrolling and and and and eh nothing else really.
    I can open more apps alright, as for faster....hard to tell.
    More memory?? maybe if I did a clear wipe and reinstalled everything but that ain't gonna happen.
    Maps is the same as I was already using (the beta).
    No new widgets.
    No theme effects.
    Browser is still the same as ever.

All round "Meh" so.....as expected.
    N900 it is so :eek:

didn't have time to update mine this morning, going to do it now when i get home. Any word on a gps fix in the update?

• Advertisement

I've been playing with it for an hour now and it's noticeably faster to navigate the phone, eg message etc. Haven't tried browser yet. No new software, maybe ovi maps update I think I noticed.

Kinetic scrolling is handier but it should've been in since the beginning. Other than that.. wow well I dunno what took them so long.

Mine's up for sale now anyway, I'm after an N900.

Advertisement