Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Just got another mail from expansys , Now the Vat has changed to 21.5% and price is £534.65, but i still paid £505 though or i hope so.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

vibe666 wrote: »

if you're upgrading from a n95 8gb like myself, then THIS crowd in the UK will give you £140 (€165) for your old phone, which is probably better than you'll do selling it to a mate or on ebay. you might need a UK address to send the payment to, I'm not sure (haven't done it it) but it might be a handy way to make a few quid off your old mobile. i might even have some other old phones laying around somewhere that could be used too. :)

I'm nearly sure you have to be in the uk. either way they will send a sterling cheque and i don’t think you can cash a sterling in a euro zone. It will work if you know someone in the UK.

Not sure about this but if you supply a VAT number i don’t think the VAT is added when importing. If it is added you can be claimed back anyway. So, it’s a good saving if you know someone with a business that is willing to buy the phone for you . It’s a legitimate business expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

might be an option but €126 isn't great is it? was looking to sell mine and they seem to be fetching €200 odd on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

might be an option but €126 isn't great is it? was looking to sell mine and they seem to be fetching €200 odd on adverts.ie
    lol, might get mine on there quick then, before we all flood the market with them. :)

also, if you have a business then a mobile phone is deemed an essential business tool and you can claim back 100% of the cost (how do you think I'm getting mine? :)).

speak to your accountants and they'll probably just ask you to provide a note with the invoice to explain why you need a fancy phone for your business and internet access, email, photos videos, slide shows, GPS, facebook etc. would all count towards that.

remind me to check my credit card bill to see how much they actually charged me in the end. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Soot-fan wrote: »
    Just off the phone with 3 regarding an upgrade and they informed me the N97 will be available next month. No date or price. This is the first solid confirmation I got from 3. For a comparison the N97 will be available on 3UK for free with a £35 on a 18 month contract and apparently £350 PAYG. (Not sure about that when N96 is €490 PAYG)

And 3 were telling people that they were getting the iPhone 3G a while back as well. Their customer service tells nothing but downright lies about their upcoming handsets. That being said, it's likely to appear on their network eventually, being that 3UK have it. I'd take "next month" with a pinch of salt.

sbhatia wrote: »
    Also if you want to sell Your Nokia n95 8gb , Try adverts , they are selling for around €200 depends on condition, which might save you hassle to post.
    mine would have a few scuffs on it and wouldn't have the box and all the bits like the one that just went for €200 on adverts.ie.

i can use my old man's address in the UK for them to send the cheque to and he can paypal me the money. :)
    mobius42 wrote: »
    And 3 were telling people that they were getting the iPhone 3G a while back as well. Their customer service tells nothing but downright lies about their upcoming handsets. That being said, it's likely to appear on their network eventually, being that 3UK have it. I'd take "next month" with a pinch of salt.
    if their launch of the N95 is anything to go by, you could be wating months.

I got payment request from expansys seeking more £29, which i refuse it, Does anyone knows what happens now.
    as i paid by paypal.

i'll just be keeping my fingers crossed then. :)

Did you have same thing, did you also pay the extra tax after completing the transaction?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

nothing yet. i ordered it yesterday. my credit card company turned it down initially (which they sometimes do for security for big purchases) but after I called them they sorted that out and I replied to the mail from expansys to say it had been declined and a little while after that the staus of my order on the expansys site changed from declined to accepted, so I assume it's all okay.

I'm kind of in limbo wondering if i should ask again to confirm it's gone through, but worried i'm going to get charged more if i do. :(

surely if you buy something in the UK in sterling you pay sterling VAT anyway. if you didn't pay in euro, why would you be charged Irish VAT? if they were a bricks and mortar shop in the UK and you bought from them you wouldn't pay Irish VAT would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Watching this video, the UI is fairly fast, no real lag time.

Does the N97 have a capacitive touchscreen? From that video above, it looks like he's putting very little effort into clicking the various buttons. I thought Nokia had an undying love of resistive touchscreens.

Does the N97 have a capacitive touchscreen? From that video above, it looks like he's putting very little effort into clicking the various buttons. I thought Nokia had an undying love of resistive touchscreens.

No, its a resistive touchscreen. Looks fairly decent imo

Davy wrote: »
    No, its a resistive touchscreen. Looks fairly decent imo

Really?! That's very impressive for a resistive touchscreen. I'd like to try that out and see what it's like. Nokia make pretty decent hardware, it's such a shame that the Symbian operating system is so horrible to use.

have you used v5 of symbian s60?

afaik its the same version as on the nokia 5800 xpress music yoke. not tried it yet, but rumour has it that it's actually a lot better than what you'd be used to with the v3 on the n95 etc.

well, i hope it is. :)

I wonder will all sellers be brought into line
    As of today Nokia have informed us that we will not be able to ship any Nokia N97’s until the 23rd-24th June. Our stock will still arrive on the 18th but we are under agreement not to ship the phones before the 24th June at the latest. We apologise for the delay and can assure you your order is secure and you are guaranteed to receive your phone before the official release on the 26th June.

We are working hard to make sure everything is ready for the launch and there will be no further delays now.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist.

We apologise again for the delay, we are sure the phone will prove to be worth the wait.

Kind Regards
    Gum Mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Davy wrote: »
    I wonder will all sellers be brought into line
    i hope not. :(

F**K YEAH!

Original Message
    From: trackorder@expansys.com [mailto:trackorder@expansys.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:30 AM
    To: vibe666
    Subject: Order xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Item xxxxxx (Nokia N97 32GB with £30 eXpansys Vouchers (UK, Black, QWERTY))

Dear Sir / Madam,

Goods that you pre-ordered from us on the order reference above will
    now available today, please confirm your pre-order so that we may
    ship your goods as soon as possible.

You can see the order details by clicking on the link below, you will
    need the order reference from the subject line of this mail and your
    e-mail address.

http://www.expansys.com/tracking.asp

If you no longer require the goods please let us know so that we can
    allocate your stock to another customer.

Regards

eXpansys
    fingers crossed they don't make a hames of delivering it! :o

• Advertisement

feck it, spoke too soon. :(

i had to get a temporary increase on my credit card to get it and they only increased it enough to enable me to buy it at the UK VAT price, but expansys tried to charge me the 21.5% vat without telling me and it was declined. :(

just paid by laser though over the phone (with Irish VAT) and the guy said they have stock and were shipping them out today and mine *might* arrive by tomorrow, but that they couldn't guarantee it for an irish delivery.

so...:mad::(:o:):D:pac::P (in that order!)

watch this space for the first irish unboxing video in the next day or so. :)

Head to Head: The Nokia N97 and HTC Touch Pro 2

Good comparison of the two in this review. He isnt the best fan of the n97 but it beats the HTC hands down. One of the only pros for the HTC is the keypad, which i dont think is that great myself, but would need to play with both for a proper test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, Vodafone have confirmed (But not officially) that they'll be making an n97 announcement mid July, but they're talking about an n97 Mini. WTF is that?

Well, Vodafone have confirmed (But not officially) that they'll be making an n97 announcement mid July, but they're talking about an n97 Mini. WTF is that?

Where did you see this?

yes, one of my few gripes with the n97 is that they went to the bother of incorporating a qwerty keypad and then made (from what i can see) a bit of a mess of the button layout and didn't even offset the keys at all.

i guess time will tell how well it performs.

i'm wondering what to spend my £30 expansys voucher on.

i have a car holder and charger, i've a bluetooth headset somewhere that i never use on the grounds that it makes you look like a total cock (got a stereo with bluetooth and a mic on it now to keep me safe on the roads), and between the charger at home, the one in work and the one in the car i don't really need an extra battery (also battery life seems to be significantly improved over the n95, even with the bigger screen from what i can see of the specs).

i didn't use even half of the 8gb of space i have on my n95 yet so i don't need a memory card with the 32gb of space on the n97 either.

maybe a case if they do one?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just can't decide.. go for the 5800 now (€50 upgrade on Meteor) or hang on for the N97. any idea what price point these'll be offered at for contracts?

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes, one of my few gripes with the n97 is that they went to the bother of incorporating a qwerty keypad and then made (from what i can see) a bit of a mess of the button layout and didn't even offset the keys at all.

i guess time will tell how well it performs.

i'm wondering what to spend my £30 expansys voucher on.

i have a car holder and charger, i've a bluetooth headset somewhere that i never use on the grounds that it makes you look like a total cock (got a stereo with bluetooth and a mic on it now to keep me safe on the roads), and between the charger at home, the one in work and the one in the car i don't really need an extra battery (also battery life seems to be significantly improved over the n95, even with the bigger screen from what i can see of the specs).

i didn't use even half of the 8gb of space i have on my n95 yet so i don't need a memory card with the 32gb of space on the n97 either.

maybe a case if they do one?

New update On Expansys site.
    Get £30 of eXpansys vouchers a free Nokia Bluetooth headset & case when you buy the Nokia N97!

So you won't need the Case if they decided to ship 1 us as well
    .:)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I just can't decide.. go for the 5800 now (€50 upgrade on Meteor) or hang on for the N97. any idea what price point these'll be offered at for contracts?

well all depends what you need.
    N97 has better build, better camera, bigger battery etc. But i am using Nokia 5800 at the moment and for that price can't complain. regrading pricing you can compare it with N96 in bill so prob around €249 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Where did you see this?

Vodafone's Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desyd

sbhatia wrote: »
    New update On Expansys site.
    Get £30 of eXpansys vouchers a free Nokia Bluetooth headset & case when you buy the Nokia N97!

So you won't need the Case if they decided to ship 1 us as well
    .:)

ye i mailed them and they said i would recieve them but they will be shipped 10-14 days after shipment off phone :) and now that special offer has been taken down lol.

Advertisement