Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just updating mine now, but i'm resigned to getting an n900 now.
    BlueMonke wrote: »
    Thanks Vibe for the input, I was buying the N97 yesterday untill I came across this thread and have decided to wait so thanks for sharing your experience and I can now see the potential in this phone. I have been waiting since January for the N97 to come out and now that its out seven months after it was first announced the N900 is on the horizon...I hope its just not as long a wait. Again we know nothing about when it will be released and its a guess which phone operator will have it!! in the mean time Ill have to just be content with my trusty N95 :)
    np probs. sorry if it came across as arsey at all, I can get a little bit passionate about these things at times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Small changes.. one new app 'Vlingo'

Also, icon for message reader app has changed. N-Gage no longer appearing in games folder, in fact can't see it anywhere on the device. Games folder is empty.

Still haven't resolved the 'click once' 'double click' for different menu items.

Contacts kinetic scrolling is good, if you use the scroll bar it shows a big box with the letter you are on at the moment.

Photo browser does similar, shows a box with the month the photos you're hovering over were taken for quick reference.

Album art shown in list view for albums in music player..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

ok, just updated there, so far so good, i like the kinetic scrolling expecially in the contacts. Another update that might have been forgotten is that when texting or emailing to use a seconary key all you have to do is hold the button down for 1 sec and you get the number or symbol!

I didn't have to do a hard reset which i was surprised at since i had to do one on the other 2 updates. Ram has slightly increased, went from 77% to 71%

In a way I'm glad I had to hard reset, free's up quite a bit of memory. Oh yeah..the long keypress function was badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Unless you like error messages, use a direct connected USB cable, not one on a hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Agree with the Kinetic scrolling. Big improvement. But my memory has dropped (based on memory status app). Funkyflea - can you let me know how to do hard reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Dermoth wrote: »
    Agree with the Kinetic scrolling. Big improvement. But my memory has dropped (based on memory status app). Funkyflea - can you let me know how to do hard reset?

Turn the phone off
    Hold down shift, space, delete, and power on.

@xanthor - just unplug, reinstall NSU. If it bricks your phone just hard reset.
    @lafors thanks , yep thats it, works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

whats the difference between the hard reset and the *#7370# or whatever it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Elessar wrote: »
    whats the difference between the hard reset and the *#7370# or whatever it is?

A soft reset just wipes the C: drive (phone memory)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Music player has developed a tendency to crash. iirc before the update it was one of the few stable features. 'bug free' not so convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Finally it's here, v2.0 is out,the answer to all my MANY n97 problems.........navigated to SW update on the phone...........update v 20.0.019 available..........yeSSSSSSSSSS........instructed on the handset to update via PC.....fair enough ,turn on PC.....open Nokia Software Updater.......NO update available ,phone up to date with v12............hhmmm....enter product code 0570817 into Nokia.com to see if update is available.....update IS available........enter *#0000# into handset ........update NOT available

In short what a load of b*ll*x; waited for months in anticipation for this phone, was disappointed with initial flaws but gave it a chance, safe in the knowledge that v2.0 was on the way..........back to my beloved n95 !!!!

Rant over ........thankin' you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

I updated to v2.0 this morn,and besides having to re do my widgets, it's defo an improvment.
    Still think i prefer my N95 8GB though

Mr Woods wrote: »
    Finally it's here, v2.0 is out,the answer to all my MANY n97 problems.........navigated to SW update on the phone...........update v 20.0.019 available..........yeSSSSSSSSSS........instructed on the handset to update via PC.....fair enough ,turn on PC.....open Nokia Software Updater.......NO update available ,phone up to date with v12............hhmmm....enter product code 0570817 into Nokia.com to see if update is available.....update IS available........enter *#0000# into handset ........update NOT available

In short what a load of b*ll*x; waited for months in anticipation for this phone, was disappointed with initial flaws but gave it a chance, safe in the knowledge that v2.0 was on the way..........back to my beloved n95 !!!!

Rant over ........thankin' you :)

As you've the right product code (i.e. you won't have to change it) why don't you use navifirm to download the update and NSS to update it?
    If you don't know what either of those are then do a search on google for navifirm, NSS, update N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

lafors wrote: »
    Just changed my product code to 0570817 to get NSU to update, will change it back when its done ;)

Its gonna take a while, our internet connection in work is bordering on prehistoric!

Did the same but its telling me its up to date already v12, how did you manage it?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nokia are really starting to **** me off..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Nokia are really starting to **** me off..
    now what did they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Camera still doesn't work 100% of the time following update. Come on Nokia :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Just updated now.Has anybody tried scrolling in the OVI Store?It's completely messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

vibe666 wrote: »
    now what did they do?

Trying to update via the PC and am being told that I have the most recent version.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

SeamyH wrote: »
    Just updated now.Has anybody tried scrolling in the OVI Store?It's completely messed up.

Just tried it on mine. I'm on V2. No probs scrolling in Ovi for me.

Just tried it on mine. I'm on V2. No probs scrolling in Ovi for me.

It's too sensitive for me.I try to lightly scroll down the screen but it keeps going into each app regardless of how much pressure I put on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

lafors wrote: »
    As you've the right product code (i.e. you won't have to change it) why don't you use navifirm to download the update and NSS to update it?
    If you don't know what either of those are then do a search on google for navifirm, NSS, update N97.

Cheers lafors, i'll give it a go :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anybody know anything about Mail For Exchange.

When I first got the phone I think I entered some settings and I deleted the profile.
    Now, I've updated to V2. Done a hard reset but when I try and create a mail for exchange profile I get
    "You cannot add any more mailboxes of this type to your account".
    I have no mailboxes of any type on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

SeamyH wrote: »
    It's too sensitive for me.I try to lightly scroll down the screen but it keeps going into each app regardless of how much pressure I put on screen.

You need to update to the new Ovi store. Solves that problem.

Ok sorted the scrolling in OVI Store!

For anybody else having similar problem-

I checked the Nokia forums and a large number of users were reporting issues with the kinetic scrolling in OVI Store since the firmware update.The reason for this is because you have an older version of OVI Store on your phone.To update simply go to Menu>Applications>Download and refresh content.The newer version should appear here.

Since I installed this the kinetic scrolling is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I just bought my n97. It was originally locked to t-mobile uk but it was unlocked since. I typed in *#0000# and it tells me I got V11.0.021

I tried to update it with the nokia software updater on my pc but it says that it is fully up to date? Is that the latest version or should it be V12.00 or something like that?

Hope someone can help me out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Boxfresh wrote: »

Hope someone can help me out here!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61852822&postcount=1333, or click my sig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Davy wrote: »

Cheers Davy!!
    V 20.0.019 Coming up!!

29102009577dfh.jpgw640.png

• Advertisement

Here's how to set it up :)
    http://winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/
    Just setting it up now for my blueface account.

Advertisement