Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

lafors wrote: »
    Here's how to set it up :)
    http://winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/
    Just setting it up now for my blueface account.

What does this allow you to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Does anone have any info on when the 2.0 firmware will be available for sim-free UK code (0585162) N97 phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Italia wrote: »
    Does anone have any info on when the 2.0 firmware will be available for sim-free UK code (0585162) N97 phones?

Nope. Could be months. Despite Nokia claiming the UK would see the update at the same time as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Italia wrote: »

I ended up changing the product code and updating to v2.. Sorts a lot of problems out. They really should have launched it in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

PH4T wrote: »
    What does this allow you to do?

Well I use blueface as my home landline, which is a voip service.
    So I can setup my phone to use my blueface account to make calls and bypass the network (O2 in my case).

So cheaper/free calls basically.
    I used it on N82 when I was at home, I had it connect to my wifi at home when I made a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

According the the Nokia forums, the V20 update is out now for UK unbranded handsets.

EDIT: Confirmed, downloading now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Elessar wrote: »
    According the the Nokia forums, the V20 update is out now for UK unbranded handsets.

EDIT: Confirmed, downloading now ;)

Grrrrrr... Still not available for me!? Still tells me i've got latest version

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

coghlac3 wrote: »
    Grrrrrr... Still not available for me!? Still tells me i've got latest version

Mine too. Mine came from Germany. Every other release to date was made available for me around a month after everyone else around here, but it got here eventually. It's not like the thing is a waste of space before then. Not a massive problem for me by any means.

...I did try installing Opera recently but I think it was the wrong version or something. Does anyone here have a link to a fully useable N97 'touchscreen' Opera? The opera site is too confusing for little ole me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Mine too. Mine came from Germany. Every other release to date was made available for me around a month after everyone else around here, but it got here eventually. It's not like the thing is a waste of space before then. Not a massive problem for me by any means.

...I did try installing Opera recently but I think it was the wrong version or something. Does anyone here have a link to a fully useable N97 'touchscreen' Opera? The opera site is too confusing for little ole me.

You mean opera MOBILE or Mini?
    Mobile is not officially available for n97... For mini point your browser to mini.opera.com (if you want om 5 beta, go to mini.opera.com/next)

strecker wrote: »
    Mobile is not officially available for n97... For mini point your browser to mini.opera.com (if you want om 5 beta, go to mini.opera.com/next)

See that's what I mean. I installed something. It didn't work too well (no touch screen). I can't see why they need to make it complicated. What are they? A mobile phone company??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

This is the link for the latest opera mini with touchscreen for the N97 and it works a treat.

m.opera.com/next

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Is any one running Window Live Messenger on the N97. I haven't been able to find a version to run on it.

If any one has a link I'd appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Via your phone web browser (google etc) type in WLM download and there should be a mobile one available to download through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Thanks for that, but unfortunately all that does is bring me to the Windows Live Mobile site with no option to download

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

While we're talkin about browsers. Is there a way to open tabs in the inbuilt browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

strecker wrote: »

I installed if you want Opera 5 beta and it was working a treat.

Then I signed up to Vodafone E-mail Plus and now Opera won't work. Any ideas?

Is any one running Window Live Messenger on the N97. I haven't been able to find a version to run on it.

If any one has a link I'd appreciate it :)

Nimbuzz

It also does all other messenger apps such as Yahoo.
    Lovely stuff.

Finally v2.0 available for UK sim free N97's.
    Installation was a breeze. No problems whatsoever. TBH, didn't notice that much of a difference, but the phone seems quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Wonder how long it will take branded phones?? I have an unlocked Vodafone N97 still no joy trying to update the software:(

Nimbuzz

It also does all other messenger apps such as Yahoo.
    Lovely stuff.

I had a look at their website, but am still a bit confused. I understand that the application is free. What sort of charges are levied (and how much) by the network operators?
    Would usage be covered by Vodafone's 1GB ISP package?
    Can I use the phone & Nimbuzz to make a call to a PC, as I would with skype or Live Messenger?

Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Installed V2 firmware and maps not working, any ideas anyone please
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

boc121 wrote: »
    Installed V2 firmware and maps not working, any ideas anyone please
    Thanks in advance.

The Maps program wont boot? Does it give any errors?
    A reboot off the phone might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

how do you reboot the phone ?davy also when i try to conect to planet 3 the phone looks for a wlan conection.
    when i go into destinations i cant change the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

how do you reboot the phone ?davy also when i try to conect to planet 3 the phone looks for a wlan conection.
    when i go into destinations i cant change the settings

Just turning it off, and on is what i meant. Sometimes it does help.

Why cant you change the settings? If you have the priority set right, the phone will automatically look for the wlan, if not available it will connect to the 3g connection without waiting for your prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Hey lads, been away for a month in Thailand so not fully up to speed on what Nokia are accepting responsibility for & fixing for free these days so can ye help me out?

There are 1 or 2 scratches on my camera lens but they dont seem to affect the pics....I am however getting that dreaded white portion on the left hand side of some of my pics, think I read its something to do with the flash reflecting into the pics?? Is this a known fault that theyre looking after??

Also GPS'wise....Im running V2 & had the beta maps 3.1 before that....cant seem to get a satellite lock on no matter what, think its only worked once way back. But I downloaded Google Maps & it locks on within 20 to 30 seconds nearly everytime (not always bang on my location though I will say...maybe a bit out sometimes) so obviously its not the GPS hardware thats the problem.
    Is there anything can be done by my local service point for this issue too....that ovi maps just will not get me a lock on no matter what???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,918 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hey, this may be a weird one, but, does anyone elses alarms ever wake them up a few minutes late? I have 2 alarms set on my phone, 6:45 and 7:00. A few times though, the 7:00 one might go off at, lets say, 7:03 or even 7:07 one morning

Hey, this may be a weird one, but, does anyone elses alarms ever wake them up a few minutes late? I have 2 alarms set on my phone, 6:45 and 7:00. A few times though, the 7:00 one might go off at, lets say, 7:03 or even 7:07 one morning

Yes. Drives me mad. Usually it's 5 minutes late, but doesn't do it all the time so it's hard to just set it for 5 minutes early. It has been behaving itself in the past week though, but I would prefer if I knew why it happened or how to fix it.
    (I'm not running 2.0 yet)

The other day the clock was 5 minutes out even though I had it set to 'automatic update'. I had to manually change it, overriding the automatic setting.

Still, that doesn't explain the 5 minute alarm difference, since it was still 5 minutes out from the time that was being displayed.

...I'm wondering if the alarm uses a different (internal) clock to the one that is being displayed. ie. the time displayed is not necessarily the time the phone has stored 'under the hood'. ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,918 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes. Drives me mad. Usually it's 5 minutes late, but doesn't do it all the time so it's hard to just set it for 5 minutes early. It has been behaving itself in the past week though, but I would prefer if I knew why it happened or how to fix it.
    (I'm not running 2.0 yet)

The other day the clock was 5 minutes out even though I had it set to 'automatic update'. I had to manually change it, overriding the automatic setting.

Still, that doesn't explain the 5 minute alarm difference, since it was still 5 minutes out from the time that was being displayed.

...I'm wondering if the alarm uses a different (internal) clock to the one that is being displayed. ie. the time displayed is not necessarily the time the phone has stored 'under the hood'. ...?

But my 6:45 one is always bang on time. So surely the other alarm is working off the same clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Boxfresh wrote: »
    This is the link for the latest opera mini with touchscreen for the N97 and it works a treat.

m.opera.com/next
    i've been trying the beta of the new touch screen version of opera and it keeps eating memory, so i've gone back to the regular mobile browser. tbh since the v20 fw upgrades it seems to be doing whatever i need it to anyway, so i've not had any real problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Some more 'features' this week.

If i physically press the power button to turn the phone off, the only way to get the button to work again is to take out the battery and replace it.

Camera won't record more than 1min 45 secs of Video (memory is set to Mass Memory).

I think the second one is an old problem, but the first one is new to me.

Anybody got any ideas on either?

Advertisement