Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my god i'm like a big child. :D

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 08:48
    With delivery courier

the DHL depot is just off the N2 behind the airport and I'm only in Ballycoolin about 20 minutes away, so fingers crossed there's not too many deliveries before me or i might just implode with excitement. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desyd

vibe666 wrote: »

With delivery courier
    the DHL depot is just off the N2 behind the airport and I'm only in Ballycoolin about 20 minutes away, so fingers crossed there's not too many deliveries before me or i might just implode with excitement. :)

god dam it :mad:!! mine was sent to shannon airport, sent to wrong place, sending to correct address. i live in wicklow so guess i wont be getting mine till tomorrow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

With delivery courier

You are lucky, Me also pre-ordered and they keep asking me for address of proof and sent them 3 times already and even yesterday they confirmed it and today they said they didn't receive it, Just sent them again :mad:
    I don't know how long it's gonna take?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

awesome! work for dhl... may have to ring the driver and get it delivered to me ;)

cant wait to see impressions!

splinter wrote: »
    awesome! work for dhl... may have to ring the driver and get it delivered to me ;)
    too late, it's here!

http://picasaweb.google.com/vibe666/N97Unboxing#

god i wish i wasn't busy at work today. :(

• Advertisement

too late, it's here!

http://picasaweb.google.com/vibe666/N97Unboxing#

good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

i don't know about men with babies attracting loads of women, but you can't beat a bit of bleeding edge tech to get an office full of computer geeks drooling all over you. :D

you have no idea how jealous i am :(

let us know how the touch screen typing is. interested in seeing screen grabs of that actually..trying to resist the urge to max out the creditcard on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Could someone who has one answer a stupid question for me? If you want to reply to a text, is there a touchscreen keyboard, or do you have to open the slider?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

too late, it's here!

I'm sick with envy, enjoy!! Am off to London next week and hoping to pick up a white one there, but the guy on the phone said he expected that they could sell out even by end of business tomorrow. Agh!!!!!

Could someone who has one answer a stupid question for me? If you want to reply to a text, is there a touchscreen keyboard, or do you have to open the slider?
    yeah, hoping to find out myself :)

oh i can see a "does the n97 do this" thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Originally Posted by PaintDoctor

According to expansys it does.

splinter wrote: »
    yeah, hoping to find out myself :)

oh i can see a "does the n97 do this" thread :D

Yeah you can type from touch screen too, as soon as you click on message the keyboard pops up and you start typing , once you are done just hit the green tick mark, that's it. Go on you tube for either nokia n97 or nokia 5800 message, you will get a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

With delivery courier

Where are you getting this?

Mine was shipped yesterday but that is the last piece of info displayed on the expansys site.. When I click the DHL option, it is saying not found :(

No hope of me getting it today anyway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah shoite I hope poor Ev from Vodafone forum doesnt get in to much trouble for the mix up haha. I got in on the most famous mobile thread this year and I didnt even say anything worth while. Could have said hello to me peeps :D

the info he has is possibly from the dhl site? perhaps expansys gave him the tracking number and he just tracked it himself? not sure

the dhl tracking link on the expansys site worked fine for me, i refreshed the page and it said signed for so i ran down to the post room and the van was pulling away after delivering it. :)

touc screen keyboard in the same style as the n95 buttons, with predictive text which has vibro feedback so you know when ou're hitting the buttons. works fine for me too. still getting used to the full keyboard, but it seems to be set out okay with everything more or less intuitive, so i reckon i'll get used to it soon enough. still a shame it's not offset, but i think it's close enough that i won't notice after a while.

good points are:
    pretty much everything so far. :D

bad points:
    it comes with an external stylus that doesn't fit in the phone at all, so you'll need to either attach it (it's got one of those string loop things in the cap) or ditch it.

microUSB. no, not miniUSB. totally new connection, not like the miniUSB on the n95 andmost other small gadgets and it's the ONLY connection on the phone aside from the 3.5mm headphone jack, i.e. it's used for charging too. the upside of that is that it DOES charge via the USB cable and they do supply you with a charger with that connection as well as a dongle to use which is microUSB to the older and newer nokia charging connectors too, so it's not all bad.

more thoughts to come. :)

the dhl tracking link on the expansys site worked fine for me, i refreshed the page and it said signed for so i ran down to the post room and the van was pulling away after delivering it. :)

touc screen keyboard in the same style as the n95 buttons, with predictive text which has vibro feedback so you know when ou're hitting the buttons. works fine for me too. still getting used to the full keyboard, but it seems to be set out okay with everything more or less intuitive, so i reckon i'll get used to it soon enough. still a shame it's not offset, but i think it's close enough that i won't notice after a while.

good points are:
    pretty much everything so far. :D

bad points:
    it comes with an external stylus that doesn't fit in the phone at all, so you'll need to either attach it (it's got one of those string loop things in the cap) or ditch it.

microUSB. no, not miniUSB. totally new connection, not like the miniUSB on the n95 andmost other small gadgets and it's the ONLY connection on the phone aside from the 3.5mm headphone jack, i.e. it's used for charging too. the upside of that is that it DOES charge via the USB cable and they do supply you with a charger with that connection as well as a dongle to use which is microUSB to the older and newer nokia charging connectors too, so it's not all bad.

more thoughts to come. :)

What you think about overall speed, say few apps open and try to run galery or maps stuff.

Ps: Mine is shipped now, can you please tell what time yours was shipped yesterday, i hope i get it by tommorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

touc screen keyboard in the same style as the n95 buttons, with predictive text which has vibro feedback so you know when ou're hitting the buttons.
    I've never understood why Nokia make their software keyboards that way. The whole point of a software keyboard is to get rid of the limitations of fixed keys and allow for more advanced keyboards, so why do they keep using the number pad format? It's such an unproductive way to type. Luckily, you have a full qwerty built in.

What's the browser like on it?

• Advertisement

i think they knew that having another full keyboard would be pointless, but that people would be used to the regular phone style keyboard for texting without having the phone open. it works quite wel actually, i can see it being my primary method for sending short texts when it's more trouble than it's worth to open up the full keyboard.

the browser is fine too, much better than the browser on the n95. it's got the touchscreen scrolling ad clicking and zooming in and out like the iphone etc. and is working well so far.

the little side slider button for locking and unlocking the touchscreen is good too and very intuitive to use and does a fine job. well, for the little job it has i think it's good. :)

the UI seems more responsive than the n95 ever was too, but then i've not used it much yet and i think the primary problem with my n95 was the 2000+ texts causing it to run sluggishly.

gps seems more responsive than the n95 one as well, and it's tied into pretty much everything that might ever want to use it, so the weather app shows you the weather where you currently are etc. and i'm pretty sure it will geotag your photo's if yu let it.

i did see somewhere that google maps now gives you street view and the n97 knows which way you're facing so the gps will be give a more accurate view of where you are and which way you'rte facing etc. but i've been too busy at work to actually do any real messing with it.

off home now, so i'll let you know more as and when i learn it.

someone asked about shipping. DHL collected it at 6pm last night from Manchester and it arrived at 11am this morning in my office in Dublin.

someone asked about shipping. DHL collected it at 6pm last night from Manchester and it arrived at 11am this morning in my office in Dublin.

Fingers crossed so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desyd

Unless it gets shipped to shannon like mine :mad: rang them up said it was shipped to wrong place so there is a 24 hour delay so should get mine tomorrow

desyd wrote: »
    Unless it gets shipped to shannon like mine :mad: rang them up said it was shipped to wrong place so there is a 24 hour delay so should get mine tomorrow

Damn you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, ive been with Vodafone since day one (eircell before that) and while the network is pretty good, the choice of phones are so poor at the moment. Think its time to move.

okay, so been messing with it a little bit today and i'm very impressed so far. the UI is nice and nippy, pictures are good and seem better thgan the n95's, but i'll do some proper testing tomorrow with a few side by side comparisons maybe if anyone was interested.

i'm finding the on-screen alpha-numberic soft keyboard intuitive for texting, but i'm still getting used to the main keyboard.

i can happily report that AFT still works so that's good (one of my most frequently used apps). I will give cabbage a go too and let cabaal know if that's working as well, but i see no reason why it wouldn't if AFT is working.

so far, i've been browsing the web over wifi and also 3g which is very good and a lot more able to cope with big media rich pages than the n95 was.

it comes bundled with a rake off useful (and not so useful) apps. youtube, AP news, qik, ovi store, bloomberg, hi5, accuweather, bbc iplayer :(, boingo, brain challenge, guitar rock something or other and spore. installed gmail app and google maps too and both working fine.

tried an app called phonetorch as well, but it's a tad flaky and unrelaiable which isn't hat you want in a torch app. :)

so all in all, i'd say a good solid 8 out of 10 so far, but will be a 9+ when i figure out how to use it properly. :D

oh, and it's got a built in FM transmitter which i didn't know about so you can listen to your music wirelessly in your car (or house i suppose). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

I asked in the Meteor store today and they are "probably" doing it in July or August , it will just arrive in the store some day

They think it will be about €199 on talk 300 billpay same price as their current dearest handset the Sony Ericsson C905 but it might even be cheaper if they are doing an offer, Meteor generally subsidise all phones very well

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Fairly reasonable price, might be of use to someone: Hard Rubberized Cover skin Case - €2.72 delivered

!BT+H5,gCGk~$%28KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKLSLm0%28sg~~_1.JPG

Davy wrote: »
    Fairly reasonable price, might be of use to someone: Hard Rubberized Cover skin Case - €2.72 delivered

!BT+H5,gCGk~$%28KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKLSLm0%28sg~~_1.JPG

Sweet, just ordered two of these. Should come in handy!

• Advertisement

Whoop:
    Arrived at Delivery Facility in Dublin - Ireland, Republic Of05:54 Dublin - Ireland, Republic Of

Advertisement