Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Davy wrote: »
    Fairly reasonable price, might be of use to someone
    thanks Davy, good find. :)
    Whoop:
    you might want to order yourself a new PC keyboard before you wear the old one out with constant F5's looking for an update. ;)

looks like you'll have it today anyways, fingers crossed. :)

mine didn't make it to th delivery facility until 7.02am yesterday and i got it at 11am.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

thats just the scanning of the container when it arrived in ireland. if you want any help with the dhl stuff just let me know :)

i wasnt aware of the build in fm transmitter, thats great! well impressed with nokia on that one. the main concern to me is the battery... so hoping its all good news :)

according to the tech specs on the expansys site it's got significantly better battery life than the n95 8gb.

N97:
    - Talk Time: 400 mins
    - Standby Time: 430 hrs
    - Music Playback: 31 hrs
    - Capacity: 1500 mAh

N95 (8gb):
    • Power Management:
    - Battery: Nokia Battery (BL-6F) 1200mAH
    - Talk time: up to 210 minutes (WCDMA), up to 300 min (GSM)
    - Stand-by time: up to 280 hours (WCDMA and GSM)

time will tell in real world tests though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I wonder why there seems to be a shortage on the white ones with a couple of the online stores not even listing it at the moment, expansys claim they have 53 black ones in stock at the mo & as tempting as it is to have one in my hands by Monday evening I think Im gonna hold out for that white bad boy:D

i think it's because white ones are for girls so they didn't think anyone would buy them. :p

incidentally whenever anyone does get their n97, there's a bunch of apps that someone has gathered (some for the 5800 which also work on the n97) which should work on it.

http://symbianworld.org/nokia-n97-apps/

tried some of them and about 80-90% seem to work fine so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think it's because white ones are for girls so they didn't think anyone would buy them. :p

incidentally whenever anyone does get their n97, there's a bunch of apps that someone has gathered (some for the 5800 which also work on the n97) which should work on it.

Got mine this morning, Damn i am in work and Ph is at home :mad:
    For cool application, themes, games try Ipmart-forum.com. You won't find any better collection than that.

cool, thx.

as an update to the battery on the n95 v's the n97, there's quite a bit of a difference in physical size too. the n95 battery is about 20% thicker, but the n97 battery is much bigger overall as you can see here:

n95%20v%27s%20n97%20battery.jpg

excuse the crappy image, but with the batteries out of both my phones I had to borrow an iphone to take the pic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Ugh, I cannot decide between the N97 or the new iPhone when I upgrade soon..... :mad:

Elessar wrote: »
    Ugh, I cannot decide between the N97 or the new iPhone when I upgrade soon..... :mad:

I was in same boat few days agao, as a previous iphone user , was very disappointed with new 3gS, so decided to go for N97,
    Better battery, better camera, possiblity to extend memory, multitasking and no lenghty expensive contract and list could go on.

@Vibe666 I am using Nokia 5800 from last few weeks which has 1320 mah battery and being a power user my battery will last for more than a day, which includes lots of surfing, abt 3 hours of music, 2-3 hrs calls and lots of other usage, which is quite impressive.
    So n97 has better battery then Nokia 5800 and that will just do fine.

vibe666 wrote: »

Did you check How many Months free navigation you got with n97? i know it's normally 3months Uk/Ireland, but 2 years ago with N95 8gb i got 1 year so could be lucky.

• Advertisement

hooray, i get to be the bringing of good news!
    was just in a 3 store and they have printed material including the price of the n97 (black) :D

date is the 15th of july but may be pushed back to the end of july. price on relax 350 is about 449

scuse me while i go scream with delight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

splinter wrote: »
    hooray, i get to be the bringing of good news!
    was just in a 3 store and they have printed material including the price of the n97 (black) :D

date is the 15th of july but may be pushed back to the end of july. price on relax 350 is about 449

scuse me while i go scream with delight :D

tidy :)

altho id be surprised if at that stage you wouldnt be able to buy one from ebay for around 450

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

sbhatia wrote: »
    Got mine this morning, Damn i am in work and Ph is at home :mad:
    For cool application, themes, games try Ipmart-forum.com. You won't find any better collection than that.

Bah, DHL haven't delivered mine yet :( Stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Bah, DHL haven't delivered mine yet :( Stress!!

what is your tracking status say? mine was delievered at 10.00 this mor, only shipped yesterday at 6pm. if it's in dublin then def you will get it today or ring Dhl quoting tracking number.
    good luck

The courier missed my package when he was doing his rounds this morning :| Called them and he will be around this way again soon apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

with delight biggrin.gif hooray, i get to be the bringing of good news!
    was just in a 3 store and they have printed material including the price of the n97 (black) biggrin.gif

scuse me while i go scream

Hi Cyrus,

What store did you get the info from i just called my local 3 store and they said that they didnt have any official info on release dates etc.

im due an upgrade as from today, i might just hold out for the n97 was thinking about getting the n96 it would cost me 299 on bill pay though im on the old 750 tarrif

with delight biggrin.gif hooray, i get to be the bringing of good news!
    was just in a 3 store and they have printed material including the price of the n97 (black) biggrin.gif

scuse me while i go scream

Hi Cyrus,

What store did you get the info from i just called my local 3 store and they said that they didnt have any official info on release dates etc.

im due an upgrade as from today, i might just hold out for the n97 was thinking about getting the n96 it would cost me 299 on bill pay though im on the old 750 tarrif

I was on 3 shop few days ago and they confirmed they are getting mid next month, I am glad i ordered sim free from expansys seeing the Price on bil pay..
    that works out €50 * 12 + €449. Whooping €1049. and you are bound to 1 year contract.

Would love to see o2 price. :)

I was on 3 shop few days ago and they confirmed they are getting mid next month, I am glad i ordered sim free from expansys seeing the Price on bil pay..
    that works out €50 * 12 + €449. Whooping €1049. and you are bound to 1 year contract.

Would love to see o2 price. :)

yep, but will you not have a circa 50 euro p/m contract anyway

it was from a local store here in swords, it was official printed material from 3 that it was read from.

also im planning on staying with 3 anyway so i dont mind the 12 month contract

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    yep, but will you not have a circa 50 euro p/m contract anyway

No €20 per month, free landlines and o2, cabbage for texting. working great.
    and the main reason i opted for sim free was firmware upgrade in future, For nokia 5800 o2 still has version 11, while nokia has released 2 more upgrades after that and second i am off for holidays in sep so really wanted a sim free.
    but network lock might suit someone better then me.

No €20 per month, free landlines and o2, cabbage for texting. working great.
    and the main reason i opted for sim free was firmware upgrade in future, For nokia 5800 o2 still has version 11, while nokia has released 2 more upgrades after that and second i am off for holidays in sep so really wanted a sim free.
    but network lock might suit someone better then me.

ah fair enough :)

how many webtexts do you get with o2 for cabbage, do you use cabbage all the time now?

i have a 5800 that was orange branded, debranded last night so i could get the new firmware :)

how many webtexts do you get with o2 for cabbage, do you use cabbage all the time now?

i have a 5800 that was orange branded, debranded last night so i could get the new firmware :)

yes i use cabbage all the time, 300 text per month including international, which is more than enough for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

How did you debrand it?
    Wonder if it would be possible with an O2 version? Would probably stop O2 supporting it if anything went wrong I'd expect.
    I'm hoping O2 realise they need a plan like the iphone for the N97....i.e. with an included data bundle. Don't think I be interested otherwise.
    Anyone know if 3 will include a data bundle?

And what is cabbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Sweet, just ordered two of these. Should come in handy!

Now how will the slide out keyboard work with a hard rubber case on it?
    I'll be interested to see it in action.

lafors wrote: »
    How did you debrand it?
    Wonder if it would be possible with an O2 version? Would probably stop O2 supporting it if anything went wrong I'd expect.
    I'm hoping O2 realise they need a plan like the iphone for the N97....i.e. with an included data bundle. Don't think I be interested otherwise.
    Anyone know if 3 will include a data bundle?

And what is cabbage?

to debrand see here
    http://sjc-nokia5800.blogspot.com/

it will be possible with the o2 version, you just change the product code to the generic euro1, prolly does invalidate your warranty, im not 100% on this.

3 do, or used to have data bundles, i think its all built in now in the tariffs, ie one unit = 3 texts, 1 min of calls or 1mb of data

cabbage is software you use on your phone to send webtexts, so you get to text from your phone for free using your webtext allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

lafors wrote: »
    Now how will the slide out keyboard work with a hard rubber case on it?
    I'll be interested to see it in action.

Its in 2 half's, a top part and a bottom part. If you click the link to the item i posted above, their is about 10 pictures

you beat me to it, i was just going to say that cabbage is working fine for me too on the n97.

further thoughts...

you can now set an order of preference for your internet access which is good. i.e. if you have your work wifi and home wifi as preference 1 & 2 and GPRS/3G as preference 3 it will try and connect to the net via your preferred wifi access points before using the mobile network.

unfortunately, i seem to have accidentally given some background app or other carte blanche access to my o2 internet AP and every few minutes i'm finding it connecting via that even tho there's an active wifi connection already. :(

i guess i'll figure it out. it's starting to look familiar already anyway, just need to do some more fiddling.

navigation wise I'm liking the combined gprs and gps tracking. i get an almost instant 'rough guess' at my location when i open the nokia maps app as it picks my approx. location up via my local cell towers, then the gps kicks in and it gets me spot on.

signal seems to be more robust and quicker to get a fix than the n95 was too, but maybe it's just perceived, i'm not sure yet.

rumour has it that the new version of gramin works on the 5800 touch screen which has the same OS as the n97 so fingers crossed we might well be able to get that working on the n97 too. better than the nokia maps, but at the same time I REALLY miss the days of having tomtom mobile on my n80. :(

also ordered one of those cases and 6 screen protectors from the same guy, but it looks like i won't need it. just got this back from expansys support. i'd asked about how long the vouchers would be and if i should expect the bluetooth headset and case that they advertised as the advert was gone and they replied with this:

Original Message
    From: xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx (Connections Sales, eXpansys UK) [mailto:xxxxxxxxxx@expansys.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 2:16 PM
    To: vibe666
    Subject: RE: eXpansys order reference 9JH1-F106-660F (From UK-SALES-CO at UK-TECH-TC)

Hi vibe666,

Thanks for your e-mail

The same goes for the Headset and Case.

You should receive this within the next 10 - 14 days.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    Connected Sales
    eXpansys UK Limited
    UK: +44 (0)161 232 3427

:D:D:D:D

(the names have been changed to protect the innocent (and guilty))

i know tom tom worked a little better but the only way to get decent maps for ireland was to have all of western europe as they were navteq

garmin should work fine, it does on the 5800

• Advertisement

Whoop, got it :)

Advertisement