Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildlife Photography

• 07-04-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Anybody got some good advice on wildlife photography? Where to go in Ireland, hides, techniques etc. Looked at a few of the pros websites, looks like a lot of fun. I have a 70-200mm on a Canon 450d and a 2x extender. Cant afford a 600mm so would like to make the most of what I've got. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Signup to the likes of naturescapes.net, they have some great forums and there are plenty of photographers to give good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

If you're after birds, checking out bird watch ireland is where to start. I can alsorecommend books too which are specific to find birds in Ireland and gives places, hides and what to expect to see at times of the year. Let me know if this is what you're after. The books cover the whole of Ireland.

The Botanic gardens in Dublin are great for your common birds. You might even see a grey squirrel or two ;)

If you put up bird feeders in your garden this will also give you lots to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Thanks Bovril, I certainly would like your book recommendations. I have been thinking about going to the Botanic gardens, mainly for macro flowers, so will go definitely go now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

ok here ya go,

For general species identification in Ireland and the UK and some of Europe the best book to get is Bird Guide by Killian Mullarney, Lars Svensson, Dan Zetterstrom and Peter J Grant. It's a Collins book, black cover with a barn owl on it.

The book for places to go, hides, times of the year etc get Finding Birds in Ireland by Eric Dempsey and Michael O Cleary. Both these books are invaluable to me and should be available in any good book shops or online.

If you're going to go to the Botanic Gardens for birds, go for gates opening time if you're going at the weekend. It tends to turn into a zoo with kids if you go later on. By that stage you can switch to the flowers and go into the greenhouses.

Any other questions I'll try and help.

Advertisement