Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens guns handed into Gardai

Options
  • 07-04-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone know what happens to firearms handed into Gardai when a licence expires?

I am currently a holder of a licence for a shotgun and shoot regularly. When I was a student about 10 years ago, I left a licence expire for a rifle in 1999 while working away from home for summer, needless to say the gun had to be handed it at the request of the local station as licence was not renewed and I was away.

Are these firmarms distroyed, put in storage, sold or what?

And most importantly if stored can they be reclaimed and if so how would I go about it?

Thanks to all who may have anwsers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

nip102 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens to firearms handed into Gardai when a licence expires?

I am currently a holder of a licence for a shotgun and shoot regularly. When I was a student about 10 years ago, I left a licence expire for a rifle in 1999 while working away from home for summer, needless to say the gun had to be handed it at the request of the local station as licence was not renewed and I was away.

Are these firmarms distroyed, put in storage, sold or what?

And most importantly if stored can they be reclaimed and if so how would I go about it?

Thanks to all who may have anwsers.

A good few stations have small armories where guns are stored and some use the local firearms dealer to store them for them.
    If it's 10 years ago and you havn't been in contact with them about it in that amount of time your chances of seeing it again would be nil I reckon.
    Did you get a receipt when you handed it in?
    If you still have the serial number it could be checked on pulse and that would give the location of the rifle .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Just because a firearm is handed in, doesn't mean you no longer own it. You are entitled to sell it on while it is in garda custody. I don't know how long the guards keep the guns for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

I had a rifle and had not shot it for years and when the Licence time came around last year I cut it up in small pieces with an angle grinder and handed it to the local Sergeant. No problem and no more licences.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

enfeild wrote: »
    I had a rifle and had not shot it for years and when the Licence time came around last year I cut it up in small pieces with an angle grinder and handed it to the local Sergeant. No problem and no more licences.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Shhh. Don't tell any of the Shooting Mods you did this - They'll ban you for committing such a sin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Jonty wrote: »
    Shhh. Don't tell any of the Shooting Mods you did this - They'll ban you for committing such a sin :D
    What a waste! You could have at least sold it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Thats seems fairly straightforward only three months to make a claim to it.
    I thought you would have a year and a day for some reason.

Advertisement