Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat - mucus/blood in stool

Options
  • 07-04-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

This morning I noticed a blob in the litter tray - it was mucus with blood mixed in it. Both cats had used the same littler tray over night and both of their stools were normal - no blood/mucus - so I wasn't sure which cat it was. But since then I've noticed one cat has basically stayed in bed all day. He didn't come down for food this evening which is very unusual for him. He has passed another two "blobs" of mucus but no blood in the last two. He has not had anything to eat or drink all day. I tried to encourage him to drink water but he wouldn't. He is 6 years old and normally healthy. I don't mind that he hasn't eaten anything but I am concerned that he hasn't had anything to drink. I will be bringing him to the vet first thing in the morning but in the meantime, is there anything I should do? Any thoughts on what might be wrong with him? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

It would be worth ringing your local practice tonight to speak to the vet on call and see if they think he needs to be seen earlier than the morning. Blood in his stool doesn't sound healthy and I'd be inclined to have a vet see him straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

October, traces of blood in the stool isn't actually as much cause for alarm in the cat as in other animals - it can often be caused by straining, or by worms, so an owner seeing a little blood in the litter tray who has an otherwise healthy cat doesn't need to panic.

Of much greater worry is the behavioural changes - lethargy, lack of appetite etc.

Is the cat in pain when picked up, e.g. does he protest or mewl? Is he 'flat', meaning floppy and listless when lifted or moved? If you take him out of his basket to stand him on his feet, can he support his own weight and his own head? Feel his body and paws - is he particularly hot or feverish?

Generally cats have a low thirst drive, so when sick they won't drink. It helps if you can get water into them - I use a plastic syringe (no needle) to slowly trickle water into the cat's throat through the corner of their mouth if they're off their water. Often you'll find they start to drink reasonably willingly, haven simply forgotten the need. If you cannot get to the vet until morning, keeping the cat hydrated by getting water into them is quite important.

Otherwise, straight to the vet in the morning (or even tonight, if you're still awake and the answer to the questions above are 'yes he's feverish and in pain and listless and flat').

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

I thought I replied but the message didn't appear - must be gremlins in my computer! Anyway, thanks for the replies.

He doesn't like being picked up but I watched him walk to the litter tray last night. He was steady on his feet but the walked seemed a bit of an effort for him. Overnight, his pupils were huge and his coat looked like it was suddenly in bad condition. But this morning he appeared downstairs and hungry so I fed him but he got most of it back up - which isn't that unusual for him, he regurgitates food when a furball is on the way. His pupils are back to normal size and he made an effort to look out the window but he's actually falling asleep sitting up on the window sill. He's still very lethargic, it seemed an effort for him to walk back up the stairs. So, we're off to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Good luck at the vets!! Its such a worry when they aren't well. It sounds like you did everything right last night and kept a close eye on him. Hopefully he's just picked up a bit of a tummy bug or something. Let us know how you get on!

Advertisement