Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stickon drystone clading

• 07-04-2009 9:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

has anyone any info on this drystone stickon clading ,i want to no if i need a coat of plaster behind them or can i just stick them onto block and have no problems with damp ,me and the wife were thinking of doing the whole house in it ,
    does anyone have any prices for the stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Hi,
    I've used it on my build. You need to sand and cement the walls first.
    Can't remember the exact cost per sq/m. But you need to find the stone you like first.
    Important points to look out for;
    Only use cladding that has dedicated corner pieces (wrap around corners). A lot of the suppliers of this type of cladding don't use corner pieces, and the result is always very poor.
    Think about how you are going to handle window reveals - I would recommend using thick plaster reveals, as opposed to the stone returning to the windows.
    Also, be wary of looking at small samples of the cladding, as the results vary considerably when applied to large areas. Also, rain on the cladding changes the appearance a lot also.
    PM me for further details of my supplier, photos of finished product etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

All points above very good...
    We were just covering our porch so made the soffits 75mm deeper there, noww it all matches..

We had just to scratch coat the area in prep for the company...

When choosing the finish we looked at traditional stone houses in the area and matched our stone to that, we feel it blends in and looks more natural for our rural setting..

Definitely take the time to travel and see the finished product.. we had 75% decided on a stone in the display area and were disappointed to see it on a large scale..

Whoose wisely and it adds great value... as our supplier said, the wrong stone in the wrong setting looks very "Vera Duckworth" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭mrxireland

im a plasterer myself so dont need to worry much about costs ,
    so i have to seal the house in sand an cement first , can i get away with 1 coat of sand and cement ,if anyone has any photos of work done in this can they send me in private mail or send to <SNIP>
    ill be building in timberframe then 1 skin of block and possibly stickon stone clading

Mod edit: no personal contact details please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Here's a snap of ours during the cladding... Just one coat of plaster scratched.

img4580.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Excellent advice gman2k, I used similar cladding - internally on one job and externally on another and everyting you have said is valid. Having said that, these observations aside, both applications were successful and the extenral application worked out far less expensive than a traditional stone 'skin' outside of the cavity wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

There is a product out there that you need no scratch coat at all. It comes with a tile adhesive like substance and a guatentee. For details of the product you can PM me. I am in no way connected with the product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭mrxireland

looks good bbam ,can u send me details of where u got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Smcgie wrote: »
    There is a product out there that you need no scratch coat at all. It comes with a tile adhesive like substance and a guatentee. For details of the product you can PM me. I am in no way connected with the product.

Can you send details to me too please??

Advertisement