Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs/Electric Mains net plug

• 07-04-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen any decent deals on homeplugs (I think that is the generic term now) I want to use the electricity mains to link my pc in the living room to the router. There seems to be two variety's 85mps and 200mps. I am interested in the 200mps (for streaming divx if possible).

Bricks and mortar would be great however online for decent price advantage would be handy too.

Thanks

Cionn

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aren't most routers 100mbit though? So the 200mbit wouldn't be at it's full throughput potential through a router (compared to a gigabit switch)?

Lidl do them from time to time, were about €60 IIRC. God only knows when they'll next stock them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

85mps and 200mps are max speeds.

You would be lucky to get half that if both Homeplugs are any distance apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

I have three Devolo 200Mbit homeplugs - they are not the cheapest of the various homeplugs but they work well for me. I get between 140 and 160Mbit (with encryption activated) at 50meters and 20meters respectively (reported by the Devolo software), but as byte said most routers are 100Mbit and in fact the network interface on all homeplugs to date is 100Mbs so that is the max available speed. They can stream 1080p perfectly from my PC to the PS3 in the eliving room and need zero configuration or attention - even if there is a power cut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Thanks for the replys all, I have a network device that I would like to have available to the other pc's and I was thinking of upgrading the router to push some hd movies around the house. That was the logic I was using. I know PC worlds sell the devolo brand I was looking to see if there any other options available from shops in Dublin or online.

Thanks again

Cionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I have a set of the ones they were doing in Lidl last year - I think they're 85Mb, not sure. Anyhow, the house has been rearranged and they're redundant now. PM if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Cheapest for devolo is usually dabs.ie (I have no affiliation), but have seen another brand (with good homeplug reviews) "Solwise" cheaper on other websites (sorry can't remember which now...)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

I'm using ZyXEL Homeplug AV adaptors for almost a year now without any problems. They'll work straight out of the box but you'll need to install software to set up the encryption.
    I see Misco are selling them for a reasonable price at the moment:
    LINK HERE

Advertisement