Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating jobs

Options
  • 07-04-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Was there anything about creating jobs or helping creating jobs in the budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I didn't hear anything about it.

looks more like there's going to be less jobs what with less money circulating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

An Enterprise Stabilisation Fund will be set up to help protect jobs in troubled businesses. And they are putting money towards Capital Projects.

However that all sounds rather reserved. No straight plan on the creation of jobs. I think they are merely hoping to maintain jobs now.

Not enough economic stimulus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The government should be offering incentives to overseas companies because we could really do with employment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

A few days ago a guy was talking to Matt Cooper about ways that they could create jobs in the budget. Most of it went over my head but I was hoping that would do something.

Yes just so. Money proposed for being pumped into supporting the banks could be better off used to attract industry from abroad.

We could spend it on improving infrastructure (although I believe this should have been done during the boom years). We haven't a decent transport route between any two cities. Why would people invest in a country it costs so much to navigate and takes so long?

We didn't use tax incentives as we should have. We gave incentives to people who put their company name in Irish rather than put that money toward more and more job creation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dean D

This Government is completely unimaginative. It can't create, it can only cut and tax, cut and tax. Now's the time to invest in our infrastructure, in capital improvements, for the next ten years and in doing so provide jobs.

Dean D wrote: »
    This Government is completely unimaginative. It can't create, it can only cut and tax, cut and tax.

+1

Exactly so. Our govenment has no initiative.

It sought only to retain power and appease voters, rather than innovate for the future. Complacency at its worst.

Advertisement