Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge - making it tasty.....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Just curious is Maple Syrup low in fat? I too am also wondering what to use as i am tying to loase weight and not too keen on honey also?

Very high sugar content - very low fat content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think porridge is one of those foods that just isn't exciting.

When I have it, I add milk and honey and I think that's about as good as it gets, and that's not great.

My wife sometimes adds cinnamon, banana, blueberries, natural yogurt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dried apricots, chopped up and soaked with the oats overnight. Nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

I dont have time in the mornings so I make enough to last a few days. One pint glass measure of porridge, two pints of water, half a packet of golden raisins, leave to soak for a few hours. Add some milk when cooking and store in the fridge when cold. I microwave a portion every morning and have it with a banana, very tasty. This amount does for about 5 days and keeps perfectly well in the fridge.

I have tried all the brands including the organic but I cant see much difference. The cheap Tesco own brand is fine for me. Golden raisins are very expensive but I like them.

If you cook it and leave it in the fridge does it not go all thick and form a film on the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Giving it a good stir around when it has cooled down a bit mixes in the "film" into the porridge and then when fully cooled put it into a container for the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

I see.. thanks for the tip. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I put in cinnamon or dried cranberries or chopped banana. I've also noticed that Scottish porridge oats are a lot softer than the Irish one. I used to soak the oats in milk the night before but don't need to with the Scottish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

scots porridge oats made with milk and salt, sugar should be nowhere near it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I had totally forgotten about cinnamon, used to do it but got out of the habit, thanks guys! The reason I stopped putting it in was because I discovered how amazing porridge is with very dark chocolate. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I had totally forgotten about cinnamon, used to do it but got out of the habit, thanks guys! The reason I stopped putting it in was because I discovered how amazing porridge is with very dark chocolate. ;)
    The dark chocolate sounds interesting and Dark chocolate is supposed to be healthier as well.

Nutella if you are reading have you tried making your spread with dark chocolate ! ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I only tried this recently and it was fantastic.

Cut up a banana in very small pieces and cook it with the porridge as soon as you put it on the hob. The banana melts in and it makes the porridge lovely. I would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Here is a recipe from the current world porridge making champion.
    Take one cup of oatmeal and put into a saucepan with four cups of cold water. Stir gently over a medium heat until it reaches simmering point, lower the heat and continue to stir - to avoid any lumps - for five minutes. Add half a teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar, and half a cup of buttermilk or cream. Give a final good stir and serve in a warm bowl.

http://www.goldenspurtle.com/

Advertisement