Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitelinks this Sunday?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are Nitelinks operating this Sunday. Dublin Bus says this:

"Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers of the following Easter arrangements:

On Good Friday 10th April 2009 there will be no Nitelink service.

On Monday 13th April, a Sunday service will operate on all routes."

Now they don't say that there will be nitelinks so I'm presuming there won't but as it'll basically be like a Friday or Saturday night with clubs and pubs open till late, surely they would provide a public transport service to cater for 1000's of people looking to get home, without having to resort to using taxis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They rarely bother providing a service on BH sundays anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That makes no sense, a Sunday service implies no Nitelinks, as this the case every Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

MYOB wrote: »
    They rarely bother providing a service on BH sundays anymore.

Really?

We haven't had a bank holiday sunday this year yet! Every BH Sunday in 2008 featured a Nitelink service.

So this would be a new departure and a regrettable one.

KC61 wrote: »
    Really?

We haven't had a bank holiday sunday this year yet! Every BH Sunday in 2008 featured a Nitelink service.

The last two BH sundays I was out in Dublin were in 2007 admittedly; and neither had any Nitelink service. Can't remember the second of the two but the first was the June bank holiday Sunday that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

As the drivers have balloted not to accept the labour court recommendations it looks like there will be a strike starting on Sunday, so never mind the nitelinks, there will be no regular Sunday service at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Really?

The last two bank holiday Sundays that I went looking for a Nitelink there were none. Although that may have been 2007, I thought at least one was 2008.

MOH wrote: »
    The last two bank holiday Sundays that I went looking for a Nitelink there were none. Although that may have been 2007, I thought at least one was 2008.

There has been the same pattern as used to operate Monday-Thursday (i.e. departures at 0030 and 0200) on every bank holiday Sunday for the past 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

There has been the same pattern as used to operate Monday-Thursday (i.e. departures at 0030 and 0230) on every bank holiday Sunday for the past 2-3 years.

That might be it - probably went looking for a 3:00 one, expecting it to run like a Friday/Saturday night. As did the hundreds of other people milling around College Green at 3am.

So presumably the cancellation of midweek nitelinks means no more bank holiday sunday services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The provision (or almost complete lack thereof) of after hours public transport in Dublin is a joke and always has been. The bus that runs past my house here goes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It normally runs at 5 min intervals in the rush hours and 10 minutes during the rest of the day. Between about 1am and 4am it runs every 30 mins. with guaranteed connections to other routes at special rendezvous points. Only the underground stops running at night (app. 1am to 4am also) and even that keeps running at night on the weekends.

There has been the same pattern as used to operate Monday-Thursday (i.e. departures at 0030 and 0230) on every bank holiday Sunday for the past 2-3 years.

Except the ones MOH and I found no service in, that would be...

MYOB wrote: »
    Except the ones MOH and I found no service in, that would be...

I think that you'll find that the buses did operate.

In June 2007 (from the old Dublin Bus Website):

http://194.106.151.179/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=666

Nitelink operating Sunday 3rd June

Dublin Bus are pleased to announce that a Nitelink service will be operating on Sunday 3rd June 2007. The service will operate a Monday to Thursday service, with departures at 0030 and 0200. A normal Monday nitelink service will operate on Monday 4th June 2007.

The point is it was never the full schedule but rather buses at 0030 and 0200.

I think that you'll find that the buses did operate.

In June 2007 (from the old Dublin Bus Website):

http://194.106.151.179/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=666

Nitelink operating Sunday 3rd June

Dublin Bus are pleased to announce that a Nitelink service will be operating on Sunday 3rd June 2007. The service will operate a Monday to Thursday service, with departures at 0030 and 0200. A normal Monday nitelink service will operate on Monday 4th June 2007.

The point is it was never the full schedule but rather buses at 0030 and 0200.

I can tell you there were no buses on Westmoreland Street at 0200 on that night; and the resulting taxi queues from that lead to me getting one at approaching 0600. They may have INTENDED to run services at 0200, but none actually operated.

Advertisement