Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone O2 Contracts 12 / 18 months

Options
  • 07-04-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

After an extremely unhappy data roaming bill last week, I questioned how long was left on my contract with O2 Ireland. I was told until next January as I had an 18 month contract. I was almost certain that the contract I signed was for 12 months. When I asked for a copy of the contract, I was told that O2 could not produce the contract as they dont keep them!

I was told by an O2 Customer Service Rep, who had to ask her supervisor, to contact Carphone warehouse where I purchased the phone. I refused and said that my contract was with O2 (not carphone) and they had to produce the copy.

Although I since understand that the standard iPhone contract is for 18 months, I believe the one I signed was only for 12 months and I was shocked when O2 said they dont have copies. I received a text message this week from O2 Customer Service confirming that Carphone were looking for the contract.

The fact that O2 dont keep the contracts on file has since been refuted by another O2 staff member who manages their forums but this may be because they are nervous of too many requests to find contracts or this going public. Then again, I could have been given incorrect information from the customer rep I called, her supervisor and a text from O2 this week!

Today, O2 have admitted on their forums that there may be a few contracts signed for 12 months and will honour any such agreement. They say that this effects only a handful, but I doubt this as people I know have 12 month contracts and there seemed to be a few on the O2 forums today.

I would recommend all iPhone customers request to get a copy of their contract from O2 by calling them on 1909. It means that you can leave O2 sooner if you want or upgrade with O2 to the next iPhone when its out.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It means that you can leave O2 sooner if you want or upgrade with O2 to the next iPhone when its out.
    This last bit is interesting!

Would be very interested to hear how you get on, or anyone else who gets hold of their contract.
    Used CPW myself but don't recall what the contract said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Used cpw too. I didn't even read my contract as i assumed it said 18 months. Must get a copy of it and see what the story is.

Would be really nice to upgrade in july

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CivilEx

phreak wrote: »

Would be really nice to upgrade in july

:) Going by the fiasco the last time around I'd say the chances of anyone other than the chosen few getting an upgrade are verrrrry low . I hope I'm proven wrong :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

CivilEx wrote: »
    :) Going by the fiasco the last time around I'd say the chances of anyone other than the chosen few getting an upgrade are verrrrry low . I hope I'm proven wrong :rolleyes:

Please expand on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CivilEx

luckat wrote: »
    Please expand on this.
    It was completely down to supply & demand

- Firstly, only "new customers" were given the opportunity to get an iPhone in reality.
    - O2 did allow existing customers to upgrade, then didn't then did and only by going to a store to present themselves in person.
    - O2's online store did allow you to purchase an iPhone, but were only available for 10 - 15 minutes (literally) before being sold out.
    - The online store allowed existing customers to progress right through the ordering system before getting to the very end before getting some error message. There was no explanation as to what was going on.
    - Waiting lists were established in stores, you weren't told where you were on the list and you never got a call (well I didn't anyway)
    - Stock was drip fed into stores of maybe only 5 - 10 units a week depending on store size.

From my own memory of it, even though the iPhone was technically available in July / August, some people still hadn't managed to obtain an iPhone by October even if they were on a waiting list in July.

Now I know some will say that Apple caused this by not letting adequate stock into Ireland, but someone on O2's end should have known this and "managed" the communication of the information to everyone.

Hence the term "fiasco" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

O2 have admitted in their forums that this effects a small few users but I guessing that this is much bigger than they want to admit.

I wouldnt foresee the same problems as the launch of the original iPhone or 3G as demand has fallen off and the new features rumoured for the next iPhone arent big enough for everyone wanting to upgrade at once.

For those of you who may be on 12 month contracts it does give you the option to upgrade eariler if you want or move to another operator. Ring them on 1909 and ask for a copy of your contract to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

O2 have admitted in their forums that this effects a small few users but I guessing that this is much bigger than they want to admit.

I wouldnt foresee the same problems as the launch of the original iPhone or 3G as demand has fallen off and the new features rumoured for the next iPhone arent big enough for everyone wanting to upgrade at once.

For those of you who may be on 12 month contracts it does give you the option to upgrade eariler if you want or move to another operator. Ring them on 1909 and ask for a copy of your contract to find out.

I believe you signed an 18 month contract afterall.

whippet wrote: »
    I believe you signed an 18 month contract afterall.

Havent got a copy of my contract yet but am extremely surprised at how lax O2 take Irish data protection laws, given that I am hearing this publically from some poster on this website rather than them directly!

Will let you know how I get on but it is apparent that they are 12mth contracts out there, which O2 have admitted!

You made your contract details public knowledge when you posted you original gripes here and on O2's website.

It seems you are only annoyed now as the outcome isn't what you wanted it to be.

You made your contract details public knowledge when you posted you original gripes here and on O2's website.

It seems you are only annoyed now as the outcome isn't what you wanted it to be.

I have no problem completing an 18mth if that what I signed and would admit it here in any case when received. I'm am still waiting for O2 to send me the copy and don't appreciate finding out about my account details here instead of being informed directly. Publically releasing information regarding my account and without sending it to me directly first is an apaulling breech of standards for any company.

Customers have the right to complain and I am delighted that by looking into this issue and promoting it, so have other customers. Since my so called "gripe", O2 have admitted that some customers have been given 12mth contracts by mistake and will now honour these. I would advise everyone to check to be sure as you can leave O2 earlier or upgrade quicker.

Eitherway, this definately helps other customers and I am happy whatever the outcome even if I'm stuck with O2 for a few extra months.

• Advertisement

Publically releasing information regarding my account and without sending it to me directly first is an apaulling breech of standards for any company.

everyone knows that those on iphone contracts are on 18 month terms. Some may have slipped through the net.

Right from your original posts you were told that you were on an 18 month contact so I don't see how any account details were released by O2, or how this could be a breech of data protection.

If I see someone with an iphone and ask them if they are on bill pay, i will know as much about their account with O2 as I do yours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

everyone knows that those on iphone contracts are on 18 month terms. Some may have slipped through the net.

Right from your original posts you were told that you were on an 18 month contact so I don't see how any account details were released by O2, or how this could be a breech of data protection.

If I see someone with an iphone and ask them if they are on bill pay, i will know as much about their account with O2 as I do yours!!!

Both myself and two of my mates have 12 month iPhone contracts. I never even considered I was on anything but a 12 month contract till the OP posted as I had a copy of my contract.

It is quiet obvious that this is a bigger issue than what O2 wants to admit. Having asked around and got people to digout contracts and by looking at the few regular iphone posters here and on the O2 forums, there are a lot more than a few 12mth contracts out there.

I have YET to receive a copy of my contract from the O2 customer support person on the O2 forums. I would have appreciated if my contract was found that he brought this directly to my attention rather than having to find out from another poster through boards.ie

Having telephoned O2 first, I was told that they do not have copies of contracts and that I had to contact Carphone Warehouse directly myself. The rep confirmed this with her supervisor but I refused stating I wanted O2 to produce the copy as the contract was with them. The support person on the O2 forums refutes the other rep and her supervisor that they do not keep contracts, yet I am still waiting for him to post me a copy rather than rely on the word of boards.ie. Maybe the original rep was right and they dont keep contracts at O2 and they dont want this public or he might be right and hard to dig out?

Eitherway I am delighted that O2 have admitted that there are 12mth versions out there and will honour them, rather than originally strongly refuting this. Dig out your contract or call them on 1909 for a copy. As stated previously you can leave earlier or upgrade sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

atgate wrote: »
    Both myself and two of my mates have 12 month iPhone contracts. I never even considered I was on anything but a 12 month contract till the OP posted as I had a copy of my contract.

Mines a 12 month contract too, I kept a copy of it once I noticed that it had 12 months instead of 18.

Good stuff, I'll be able to upgrade to the newer version sooner then I thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

BTW philip got his 18 month contract by email yesterday.

If any of you are sure that you are on a 12 month contract can you contact me @ talk2O2@o2.com cheers

Thanks Daryll. Nothing better for an unhappy customer who had to pay over €200 for 17Mb data than to get "value" out of their customer service and have them dig out contracts etc.

Its also great that we also identified that there are lots of 12mth contracts out there, going on the few regular iphone posters here and on your forums.

I would recommend everyone to check their contracts or call O2 on 1909 so that you can upgrade sooner or leave O2 earlier!

Advertisement