Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Word 2007

• 07-04-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know how to start the page numbering on page 3 but with page number 1.

ie I dont want the first 2 pages to have numbers

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yes, I know: At the end of the text that you have on Page 2, go to the Insert menu and select Break, and then select Next Page under the Section break types label. After that, go to the View menu and select Header and footer. You should notice that the header/footer for the 3rd page are now labelled as 'Section 2'. Click the mouse button into either of these and a dialogue box should appear. Deselect the Link to Previous button, and then insert your page numbers.

That should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There may be a better way of doing this, I'm not sure. Obviously the simplest way of all is to have two separate documents but that's silly when you don't have to do it.

Word allows you to start the numbering from any number you like and if you like, to have the number absent from the first page. This won't do.

Here's my quick and dirty method. There may be a better way.

Go to page 3 of your document. Position the cursor at the start of the text on the page.

On the Page Layout tab, click the breaks button and in the "Section breaks" section, click "Next Page"

What this has done is allow you to have different formatting in two different parts of the same document. it can be quite useful but you're only going to use a small part of it.

Leave the cursor where it is on the third page (or what Word now knows as the first page of the second section of your document).

Next, click the Insert tab. Click the "Page Number" icon and click "Format page numbers". Under Page Numbering, select the "Start at" radio button and enter a 3 into the box instead of 1. Click OK.

Click the "Page Number" icon again, and select from "top of page" or "bottom of page" depending on where you want your numbers. It'll offer you a selection of formats, just pick one.

The above will work and when I think about it, it's probably the proper way of doing what you want anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I got it work but now the same page number is on all pages.
    Do I have to change it every time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Remove the page numbers, read the last line of my previous message ("Deselect the 'Link to Previous' button, and then insert your page numbers"), and the reinsert the page numbers from page III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Misticles wrote: »
    I got it work but now the same page number is on all pages.
    Do I have to change it every time?
    That's because you've manually typed in the page number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement