Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop dog licking our food counter?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Any tips greatly appreciated to the following issue.

I have a 6 month old GSD male who is a brilliant young dog.

His only fault in behaviour is that he constantly checks out our counter in the kitchen for food. He keeps licking the counter too and he occasionally robs food when we forget and leave something within his long reach.

I was wondering should i get a water pistol and squirt him in the face while shouting "no" every time he does it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's an icky tasting anti chew spray you can get (in pet shops or online and in some hardware shops) that you could spray on the counter.
    Someone else might be able to suggest something other than spraying him with water, I wouldn't do that with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Hi irish homer... i live with a 13 month old great dane so i know all about counter surfing!!! My advice would be try not to leave nice tasty smelly stuff out on your counter, i know you can't remeber everything all the time but try, it will be less attractive to your dog. Once, my hubby left out some tasty chops for dinner, wentto answer the phone, chomp the dane had them LOL What i do when i see my dane counter surfing is give a loud "AH AH....NO", not necessarily a shout but loud enough to break the dogs concentration, make it clear to him that its not acceptable and remove the temptation from the dog. The licking, i would suggest trying lemon juice, ya know the squirty stuff for pancake tuesday, try smudging some of that on the counter edge or where your dog likes to lick.

One thing tho, don't get angry with your dog, dogs are opportunists and will scavange so if your dog takes food of your counter don't blame him, just remember to put the food back in the fridge or press!

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

The most obvious solution is to keep your kitchen counter clean. Always.

Wash it with Dettol or some other kitchen cleaner after processing or using food on it.
    And never ever leave something edible on the counter or elsewhere around the kitchen. Tidy up!

You know, a dog can really teach you to be a good housekeeper. :D

Don't I know...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

palaver wrote: »
    The most obvious solution is to keep your kitchen counter clean. Always.

Wash it with Dettol or some other kitchen cleaner after processing or using food on it.
    And never ever leave something edible on the counter or elsewhere around the kitchen. Tidy up!

You know, a dog can really teach you to be a good housekeeper. :D

Don't I know...:rolleyes:

Dettol would do the trick. Or perhaps vinegar? x.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Have you tried fustigating him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement