Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 updating problem and disc reading issue

• 07-04-2009 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi everyone.
    Just as the title says, I have an updating and disc reading problem. Delighted if anyone can offer some help or a solution
    Here's how it is...

I currently have update version 2.42 and need to update to 2.60 to play Tom Clancy Hawx. I insert the disc and the system tells me i have to update, I proceed and it takes forever to get to 3%. After that it seems to freeze up and a messege comes up telling me a error has occured. This i thought i could solve by updating online but now things have taken a turn for the worst... :(

Im now getting a blue screen after the console loads up when i insert a disc. im obviously getting no picture but the wierd thing is im actually getting sound. This is the case for blu ray or dvd. When i insert a game it loads up, the screen goes black as normal and the "playstation 3" symbol comes up. Then the blue screen again...

Im trying to format the console and again no success. I put it on an hour ago and still at 0%.

The thing is I've already had a very sick x-box 360 which died after warranty and now this. Honestly I expect more from Sony. I've checked all connections, restarted the system - tried everything. Im hoping somebody can help me out here.

I wonder if this is a commmon problem or has someone experienced the same. Id be really grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance

Ken
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can download the PS3 updates from the internet direct from this link:
    http://duk01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/uk/2009_0402_3352adc32e39ec5f7b4cdeb8b861052a/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Copy to USB key and put the file in folder UPDATE which should be in folder called PS3.

What internet provider are you using and what router?

Have you done a reset of system settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

ongarite wrote: »
    You can download the PS3 updates from the internet direct from this link:
    http://duk01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/uk/2009_0402_3352adc32e39ec5f7b4cdeb8b861052a/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Copy to USB key and put the file in folder UPDATE which should be in folder called PS3.

What internet provider are you using and what router?

Have you done a reset of system settings?

Thanks for the help! I've downloaded the file and will try later. Hopefully it will solve my problem. I'm using eircom as internet provider and using wireless router. Tried formatting the system which also resets system settings with no joy there. I'll try this update and post with results.

Thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

so just an update on how its going...

rang the ps3 helpline and i explained the situation. was given a reference number and told to bring it back to where i got it from (xtravision castlebar)
    Told they would replace it with a 80gb and i would be charged a "replacement charge". guy on helpline was unable to tell me how much it would be..

Rang xtravision and explained problem. turns out this "replacement charge" is for €160!!!! ok, its out of warranty and i dont have a reciept but come on sony, its happening with all 40gb ps3's!!! its a sony issue not mine. i dont feel i should have to fork out €160 for their mistakes

I used to work in the car sales industry and a very well known and popular car maker had a faulty engine in one of their very popular models. they are still taking these back from car owners (original owner or second or third owner) and replacing engine free of charge.

I know my ps3 isnt as expensive as a car but its the same principal. Rip off Ireland is still in full swing!

Anyone else share the same opinion??

ok, rant over!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kensey wrote: »
    so just an update on how its going...

rang the ps3 helpline and i explained the situation. was given a reference number and told to bring it back to where i got it from (xtravision castlebar)
    Told they would replace it with a 80gb and i would be charged a "replacement charge". guy on helpline was unable to tell me how much it would be..

Rang xtravision and explained problem. turns out this "replacement charge" is for €160!!!! ok, its out of warranty and i dont have a reciept but come on sony, its happening with all 40gb ps3's!!! its a sony issue not mine. i dont feel i should have to fork out €160 for their mistakes

I used to work in the car sales industry and a very well known and popular car maker had a faulty engine in one of their very popular models. they are still taking these back from car owners (original owner or second or third owner) and replacing engine free of charge.

I know my ps3 isnt as expensive as a car but its the same principal. Rip off Ireland is still in full swing!

Anyone else share the same opinion??

ok, rant over!

Do a search for Blu-Ray of Death on this forum. Different problem by the looks of it, but you get the gist of Sony's responses. I'd be all for taking them to the small claims court if BRD happens to me again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

a manufacturers gurantee is in ADDITION to your statutary rights.

if your ps3 is under 2 years old, you are covered because all electrical items are guranteed for 2 years under eu leglisation. if its over 2 years, then it comes under the sale of goods and supply of services act.

if the item is not fit for the purpose intended (playing games), then it is up to the retailer to remedy the situation.

you should ring consumer connect on 1890 432 432 for more advise or you could read up more here.....http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Make_a_Complaint/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bennyob wrote: »
    a manufacturers gurantee is in ADDITION to your statutary rights.

if your ps3 is under 2 years old, you are covered because all electrical items are guranteed for 2 years under eu leglisation. if its over 2 years, then it comes under the sale of goods and supply of services act.

if the item is not fit for the purpose intended (playing games), then it is up to the retailer to remedy the situation.

you should ring consumer connect on 1890 432 432 for more advise or you could read up more here.....http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Make_a_Complaint/

I have been assured by more knowledgeable than me, that we did'nt sign up for the EU directive, because our Sale of Goods Act offers much better protection to the consumer. If you look at SI no 11 of 2003, there is no mention anywhere of two years.

Advertisement