Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q - 7 euros for 4 x grow bags ( 3.50 each at woodies! )

Options
  • 07-04-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

50% cheaper than woodies.

Went to B&Q Tallagh tonight and they are very good value when compared to the competition for gardening stuff I think

We have have loads of Grow bags around the garden but I need to at least brake even cost wise on the veg produced and at 4 bags for 7 euros there is no problem doing that.

Their opening hours are great as well. Til 9 tonight Tuesday, I presume the rest of the week is much the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

gardening noob. can i plant seeds in one of these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

ok, done a bit of research. very stupid question above, that came from this. i thought you could only put plants in them. maybe a better question, what would be the best seeds to plant in one for the irish climate? some lettuces would be a good start i think. could i get a basil plant going in one of these? taking into accout i am intending on leaving the bag out in the garden, some where it will get the most light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I used them last year but had drainage problems with them. the rain water had no where to go and the bag became water logged in one of them.

Basel is hard to grow. From my experience . lettice is simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I used them last year but had drainage problems with them. the rain water had no where to go and the bag became water logged in one of them.

Basel is hard to grow. From my experience . lettice is simple

Stab a big knife through the bag a few times and make sure it goes through the base and a few in the sides and thats your drainage issue solved. Its a plastic bag after all. Dont make huge cuts in it though.
    They have been used for what 30 years + to produce tomatoes in green houses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

lg123 wrote: »
    ok, done a bit of research. very stupid question above, that came from this. i thought you could only put plants in them. maybe a better question, what would be the best seeds to plant in one for the irish climate? some lettuces would be a good start i think. could i get a basil plant going in one of these? taking into accout i am intending on leaving the bag out in the garden, some where it will get the most light.

Tip - dont slit the bag into one long "cut out a long rectangle" = wrong.
    You will end up with the contents spilling out. I did this by accident once but got around it by putting a piece of wire all the way around.

What to grow? Anything thats suitable for the irish climate. Im no expert but Im growing for the first time courgette, cucumbers and tomatoes in them and a load of beans (bags positioned near fence to help secure them with cable later) peas etc … To my knowledge peas and beans dont need a huge amount of light. Tomatoes and strawberries etc do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement