Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer jobs around town

• 07-04-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

Doing my finals in college, looking around for a job for a few months over the summer until I can go and do a Masters degree. Seems to be nothing around-anyone know of people hiring?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jaysus boy there doesnt seem to be anything around town at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Feck all by the looks of things. Not sure if I can get the dole either. There will be some que down at the dole office when this years graduates finish college in May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

googlefan wrote: »
    Feck all by the looks of things. Not sure if I can get the dole either. There will be some que down at the dole office when this years graduates finish college in May...

Can't claim dole until six months after Graduation AFAIK. To be honest there's shag all work around town but I'd be trying for work now before everyone is looking for work in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's going to be difficult because even places that traditionally take on students etc are now trying to fill any vacancies they have will full-time staff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could try the likes of Sun Life, Rigney Dolphin & AOL call centers, they generally take on a good mix of full and park timers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What Cabaal said,

Outside of there (even sunlife are quiet from what I have heard) your going to struggle big time I'm afraid. You can always come work for me in the shop. I can pay you any flavour of penuts you wish to dance outside. Seriously though you may have to look further a filed unless somewhere like a newish shopping centre are taking on and you can get a sales assistant job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Can you drive? Set up your own temporary little business and hire a van! Then, on a weekly basis, get the shopping order of 20-30 people and head up North. A 5% commission on savings made will have you minted in no time!

Apologies for being no help whatsoever...post-budget blues :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

now theres a idea gscully !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

googlefan wrote: »
    Hi,

Doing my finals in college, looking around for a job for a few months over the summer until I can go and do a Masters degree. Seems to be nothing around-anyone know of people hiring?

Thanks

What are you qualified in? Might give people a better idea of where you could try...

gscully wrote: »
    Can you drive? Set up your own temporary little business and hire a van! Then, on a weekly basis, get the shopping order of 20-30 people and head up North. A 5% commission on savings made will have you minted in no time!

Apologies for being no help whatsoever...post-budget blues :mad:

You're wrong about being no help gscully, your idea is absolutely genius. That's the kind of thing the true entrepreneur would do... think Alan Sugar or Dragons' Den! :D

Great idea about the trip over the border. Probably get hauled in by customs though!

I'll have a Commerce degree, which gives a solid grounding in most areas of business. I'll be doing a Masters in HR most likely.

That Rigney Dolphin are supposed to be desperate to work for altogether-heard a few horror stories. Beggars can't be choosers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Rigney Dolphin are 100% not hiring atm.

Working there meself atm, instead of hiring there training most people across different campaigns (companys)

AOL isnt hiring either after lettings go allot of staff (90% of my friends work there so I hear it from them 24/7)

not sure about sunlife but its worth a shot.

best of luck in the search but by all means drop in a C.V to RD, even if the chances are slim to none.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AOL isnt hiring either after lettings go allot of staff (90% of my friends work there so I hear it from them 24/7)

"Alot" of their staff?
    I don't know about that now that appears to be a bit exaggerated

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

Rigney Dolphin are 100% not hiring atm.

AOL isnt hiring either after lettings go allot of staff (90% of my friends work there so I hear it from them 24/7).

AOL Havnt left anyone go, ppl have been given alternative jobs within the company which stops recruitment for the mean time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ziedth wrote: »
    What Cabaal said,

Outside of there (even sunlife are quiet from what I have heard) your going to struggle big time I'm afraid. You can always come work for me in the shop. I can pay you any flavour of penuts you wish to dance outside. Seriously though you may have to look further a filed unless somewhere like a newish shopping centre are taking on and you can get a sales assistant job.

Apply early if your thinking about aol, theres hardly anyone leaving these days so there are far fewer new training classes than there used to be.

Apply early if your thinking about aol, theres hardly anyone leaving these days so there are far fewer new training classes than there used to be.

Agreed,
    Every call center in the world has a churn rate, the rate in which people leave and they hire new people to replace them....the problem is not as many people are leaving these days so they are not hiring as many new people to replace them.

Very simple really :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    "Alot" of their staff?

allot OF staff.

Apparently an entire dpt. were let go and/or moved to different dpts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

In the good times, staff could gain vital experience and then leave for pastures new and better money - particularly in areas like helpdesk / call centres.

Nowadays, there's no jobs out there, so people are rightly staying put in their current jobs and staff turnover is practically zero.

I do know that Sunlife are looking for people to work on a new team that deals with calls from customers in Bermuda. Unfortunately, fluent Spanish is a pre-requisite. So if anyone knows anyone that fits the bill, let them know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

allot OF staff.

Apparently an entire dpt. were let go and/or moved to different dpts.

You are making it sound far more dramatic than it really is...."a whole department"....I'm surprised you didn't use exclamation marks...

In reality its a pretty small department of around 20 people or so (out of about 700) and they were given the opportunity of taking other jobs in the centre so no net losses (unless they opted for redundancy which in the current climate is unlikely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

14 people were given different roles. jesus i never heard such exaggeration before.

another 20 will go through the same thing shortly.

dont bother handing a c.v in there because theres no point. theres nothing going

anyway, back to the point

jobs were desperate to find 2 or 3 years ago in waterford, never mind now.

chances are your heading home to mammy to be honest :pac:

Interesting info lads. Keep it coming. You'd be surprised what you'd hear through gossip that wouldn't get around otherwise.

Ah mammy, always there when you need her!

• Advertisement

An entire department none the less, even if it was small.

34 people = Allot of people in my books

Either way my main point was its hopeless looking there.

Bloody trolls. Never heard such drama queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

chrism2007 wrote: »
    14 people were given different roles. jesus i never heard such exaggeration before.

another 20 will go through the same thing shortly.

dont bother handing a c.v in there because theres no point. theres nothing going

anyway, back to the point

jobs were desperate to find 2 or 3 years ago in waterford, never mind now.

chances are your heading home to mammy to be honest :pac:

You may be right but I think thats a bit defeatist. You have to keep trying and applying for everything, no matter what the odds are.
    It was the same for most of us after finishing college or uni, good jobs are/and always were in my opinion hard to find.

Advertisement