Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrow salmon

Options
  • 07-04-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I fished the barrow for around an hour a couple of weeks ago with a 4 or 5 inch plug for pike and caught 2 very nice perch and pretty sure it was a salmon around 4 or 5 pounds really long and slender but not 100 percent. It didnt have spots like a sea trout do. Is there much salmon in the barrow??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

I fished the barrow for around an hour a couple of weeks ago with a 4 or 5 inch plug for pike and caught 2 very nice perch and pretty sure it was a salmon around 4 or 5 pounds really long and slender but not 100 percent. It didnt have spots like a sea trout do. Is there much salmon in the barrow??

Could have been a keeb/kelt, a salmon that is on it's way back to sea after spawning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

there are plenty of salmon in the barrow. A good few have been caught by accident (including one by yours truly), but salmon angling is banned on the barrow for the foreseeable future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Per Petterson

super-rush wrote: »
    there are plenty of salmon in the barrow. A good few have been caught by accident (including one by yours truly), but salmon angling is banned on the barrow for the foreseeable future
    Ye I had no intention of catching one and dont have a Licence or anything to fish for them. It Was just by chance nothing like that has ever happined to me before I released it aferwards:). I presume It was a young only been a few pounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Per that sounds like a Kelt to me or spent salmon. Specially when you say that it was long and slender. Kelts generally have a starved look about them after burning up so much energy spawning and fasting over the winter in fresh water they sometimes have a redish tint in the silver too and look dullish. Your fish was an adult alright probably a Grisle as it only spent one year at sea before returning to spawn hence the low weight. Glad you let him back though its great to know a few are still making the trip up to spawn. We need lots more like your fish to get the numbers back up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ye I had no intention of catching one and dont have a Licence or anything to fish for them. It Was just by chance nothing like that has ever happined to me before I released it aferwards:). I presume It was a young only been a few pounds!

same with me, i was fishing for dace and roach on the pole and first put in i had a salmon. Cracking fight on light elastic

• Advertisement
Advertisement